Motherboard buzzing.

Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
3 minutes ago, Axtasium said:

Completely unplugging the aio for a quick boot does not fix the noise, 100% the motherboard.

Then it sounds like CoilWhine unfortunately. This is not harmful though, just VERY annoying if its loud.

Check this thread out, same motherboard with exactly the same sound.

One guy had issues with 4 B650 ROG STRIX Boards.

I swapped my components put recently and after getting them working I have noticed a very annoying high pitched buzzing noise coming from the top left side of my motherboard.

I had 2 different boards and they are both making this noise and i was wondering if its okay or what i can do.

The noise gets pretty loud when putting more stress on the cpu and its kind of driving me nuts as im right next to my pc. Anyone know if this is okay or if I should/can do anything about it?

Specs

Windows 11

Ryzen 7900x3d

ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI (bios 1905)

Zotac 3080 Trinity oc 10gb lhr

850w gold psu

2 2tb nvme ssds (sabrent and samsung)

Kraken X73 aio 360mm

8 minutes ago, Axtasium said:

I swapped my components put recently and after getting them working I have noticed a very annoying high pitched buzzing noise coming from the top left side of my motherboard.

I had 2 different boards and they are both making this noise and i was wondering if its okay or what i can do.

The noise gets pretty loud when putting more stress on the cpu and its kind of driving me nuts as im right next to my pc. Anyone know if this is okay or if I should/can do anything about it?

Specs

Windows 11

Ryzen 7900x3d

ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI (bios 1905)

Zotac 3080 Trinity oc 10gb lhr

850w gold psu

2 2tb nvme ssds (sabrent and samsung)

Kraken X73 aio 360mm

Kinda sounds like the AIO pump to be honest.  Are you able to manually adjust the pump speed in the BIOS to hear if that makes any difference?
It could be the motherboard but it would be nice to rule out the AIO.

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Kinda sounds like the AIO pump to be honest.  Are you able to manually adjust the pump speed in the BIOS to hear if that makes any difference?
It could be the motherboard but it would be nice to rule out the AIO.

Completely unplugging the aio for a quick boot does not fix the noise, 100% the motherboard.

Afaik, modern Asus boards have noise mitigation (think they call it acoustic) options in the bios, might be worth a fiddle.

3 minutes ago, Axtasium said:

Then it sounds like CoilWhine unfortunately. This is not harmful though, just VERY annoying if its loud.

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Yup, that sounds like it. *sigh* well is there nothing I can do about it? I have 2 of the same board here atm, both have the exact same issue.

7 minutes ago, Axtasium said:

Yup, that sounds like it. *sigh* well is there nothing I can do about it? I have 2 of the same board here atm, both have the exact same issue.

You can do some googling about X670 / ROG X670 Coilwhine help or solution but usually Coilwhine is there to stay unfortunately.

Maybe PBO, undervolting and setting a power limit could solve some of it.

Its buzzing more when you stress the CPU as the coils vibrate faster due to more power.

You have probably heard of Coilwhine in GPU's and how the pitch increases with higher load / FPS shown.

That being said. I have built over 50 AM5 systems in 2023 alone without any coilwhine problems but I have ONLY been using B650 motherboards like the ASUS TUF B650 WIFI, Gigabyte Aourus B650 Elite AX and MSI TOMAHAWK B650 WIFI.

It seems like the ROG STRIX series are prone to coilwhine compared to other boards.

My TUF B650 is whisper quiet.

At the end he shows the CPU running at 45w less for basically the same performance.

Have a look, do some tweaking and try that.

15 hours ago, Hinjima said:

You can do some googling about X670 / ROG X670 Coilwhine help or solution but usually Coilwhine is there to stay unfortunately.

Maybe PBO, undervolting and setting a power limit could solve some of it.

Its buzzing more when you stress the CPU as the coils vibrate faster due to more power.

You have probably heard of Coilwhine in GPU's and how the pitch increases with higher load / FPS shown.

That being said. I have built over 50 AM5 systems in 2023 alone without any coilwhine problems but I have ONLY been using B650 motherboards like the ASUS TUF B650 WIFI, Gigabyte Aourus B650 Elite AX and MSI TOMAHAWK B650 WIFI.

It seems like the ROG STRIX series are prone to coilwhine compared to other boards.

My TUF B650 is whisper quiet.

At the end he shows the CPU running at 45w less for basically the same performance.

Have a look, do some tweaking and try that.

Its far less loud on one of the boards. Swapped them out and i guess I'm returning the other one. What do you think my odds of getting one without any coil whine are if i tried to replace it? problem as well is my pc is right next to me, and i just so happen to have open back headphones so I can hear it generally, although barely on the board i just swapped to.