My cpu core speed drops to base when playing apex helppp

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

@Kingcon435

To lock the MSR turbo power limits, clear the Disable Controls box and then check the Lock box in the Power Limit Controls section.

Also check the Speed Shift box since your computer might be using that throttling method. Your video was good but I needed to see the TPL window so I could monitor that for any changes to the power limits. 

If you are still having problems turn on the Log File option on the main screen before you start playing a game. Attach a log file to your next post. 

Your testing shows that turbo boost is being disabled. Intel has created several methods to control this so that is why you have to do some testing to find out what method is being used. Check the Limit Reasons window to see if any reasons for throttling are reported there when this happens. 

Post a screenshot of the FIVR window. 

image.png.ad179f184278995a6d8a982e3a33b32d.png

PS - I would uninstall Norton in a heartbeat. 

When both the MSR and MMIO power limits are locked, you should see two yellow lock icons on the left side.

image.png.b3fd7eb8f75a790ee922f24caf7e2f85.png

Hey guys so I have a problem  

I have a i5 10400f base speed 2.9ghz turbo 4.3 but when I play apex the cpu drops to base speed as soon as I open the game and will not go back up till I reboot the pc it’s not overheating it’s around 50/55 degrees  I have the latest bios update the chips  drivers are up to date and I don’t have this problem on other games please help meeee 

It could be a power limit. By default, after about 50 seconds, the 10400F is limited to 65W. Have you removed power limits in the BIOS?

11 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

It could be a power limit. By default, after about 50 seconds, the 10400F is limited to 65W. Have you removed power limits in the BIOS?

No in didn’t know about that so I have msi bios where can I find the power limits to remove the ? Would it be in the advanced oc part? And wouldn’t I have this problem in Al my game if this was the case ? 

2 hours ago, Kingcon435 said:

No in didn’t know about that so I have msi bios where can I find the power limits to remove the ? Would it be in the advanced oc part? And wouldn’t I have this problem in Al my game if this was the case ? 

It would likely be under the OC settings. I believe that generation of MSI boards was when you were asked what kind of cooler you had, and setting that would choose the power limits. If you set it to "Water Cooling" it should max things out.

If there isn't a cooler option, you'd be looking for a setting like "Power Limit," "Long Term Power Limit," or "PL1." There would also be a "Short Term" or "PL2" limit and a "Duration" limit. I'd just try maxing them all out.

You may not see that in every game. Most games are lightly threaded, so you'd be limited by the Turbo Boost frequency on a few cores before you become power limited.

4 hours ago, Kingcon435 said:

cpu drops to base speed as soon as I open the game and will not go back up till I reboot

This is a known MSI problem. Are you using some MSI software to launch your games? The two turbo power limits are accidentally being set to 0. This completely disables Intel turbo boost.

To prevent this from happening, run ThrottleStop 9.6 and have a look at the TPL window when you have this problem. Post a screenshot. Check the MMIO Lock box and lock both MSR power limits to 4095 to prevent them from being changed.

Post some ThrottleStop screenshots if you need help. 

The BIOS does not let you lock the turbo power limits. You need to do that in ThrottleStop or uninstall any MSI software. 

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

This is a known MSI problem. Are you using some MSI software to launch your games? The two turbo power limits are accidentally being set to 0. This completely disables Intel turbo boost.

To prevent this from happening, run ThrottleStop 9.6 and have a look at the TPL window when you have this problem. Post a screenshot. Check the MMIO Lock box and lock both MSR power limits to 4095 to prevent them from being changed.

The BIOS does not let you lock the turbo power limits. You need to do that in ThrottleStop or uninstall any MSI software. 

Ok thanks I will give this ago and let you know how it goes 🙏

2 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

It would likely be under the OC settings. I believe that generation of MSI boards was when you were asked what kind of cooler you had, and setting that would choose the power limits. If you set it to "Water Cooling" it should max things out.

If there isn't a cooler option, you'd be looking for a setting like "Power Limit," "Long Term Power Limit," or "PL1." There would also be a "Short Term" or "PL2" limit and a "Duration" limit. I'd just try maxing them all out.

You may not see that in every game. Most games are lightly threaded, so you'd be limited by the Turbo Boost frequency on a few cores before you become power limited.

Ok thanks I will will look in to this in the morning thanks for your help 

10 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Hey good morning hope all is well ? So I downloaded throttlestop and found the check box for mmio but there is no box for msr? 

IMG_0045.jpeg

13 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

I did this but I didn’t get any improvement in my power I did benchmark and did get above 70w and had the speed drop to base speed when I opened apex 😭 

IMG_0050.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Kingcon435 said:

I did this but I didn’t get any improvement in my power I did benchmark and did get above 70w and had the speed drop to base speed when I opened apex 😭

If updating things in the BIOS doesn't change the situation, then it must be software related.

Do you have any "optimization" tools running? If so, I'd disable them.

What is your power plan in Windows set to? It should be either on Balanced or Full Performance for a desktop, not Power Saving.

@Kingcon435

To lock the MSR turbo power limits, clear the Disable Controls box and then check the Lock box in the Power Limit Controls section.

Also check the Speed Shift box since your computer might be using that throttling method. Your video was good but I needed to see the TPL window so I could monitor that for any changes to the power limits. 

If you are still having problems turn on the Log File option on the main screen before you start playing a game. Attach a log file to your next post. 

Your testing shows that turbo boost is being disabled. Intel has created several methods to control this so that is why you have to do some testing to find out what method is being used. Check the Limit Reasons window to see if any reasons for throttling are reported there when this happens. 

When both the MSR and MMIO power limits are locked, you should see two yellow lock icons on the left side.

42 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@Kingcon435

Thank you 🙏 so I did this but I checked the log file but I don’t know how to use it to send the information or how to never see it myself and the and the limit reasons the is no check box just this? Sorry for being a pain in the ass I really appreciate your help 

IMG_0054.jpeg

49 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@Kingcon435

I hope I did it correctly 

@Kingcon435

Omg mate it worked it drop but then came back up and is stable thank so much 🙏 just one more thing the cpu usage is 45/50 but it’s only pulling 25/35w is that normal? 

@Kingcon435

One more thing sorry what would you recommend instead or Norton ? 

The CPU will only use as much power as it needs. Most games do not fully load the CPU. As long as your CPU is running at full speed now, all is good.

I just use common sense for anti-virus. Windows Defender is adequate and uses less resources compared to Norton. Don't try to run any dumb email attachments like NukeMyComputer.exe

2 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

The CPU will only use as much power as it needs. Most games do not fully load the CPU. As long as your CPU is running at full speed now, all is good.

I just use common sense for anti-virus. Windows Defender is adequate and uses less resources compared to Norton. Don't try to run any dumb email attachments like NukeMyComputer.exe

Ok well thank you so much for all of your help you are a diamond 💎