iTunes stuff on Android?

aisle9

I want to go back to Android. I love my iPhone 11 Pro, but it's getting old on me (no 5G is finally a problem), and I'm considering a switch back to Android. There were two things that chased me away from Android: I couldn't get my iTunes library to my Android device cleanly and without a ton of PITAs, and Android Auto was trash at the time. From what I've read, Android Auto in 2024 isn't even comparable to what it was in 2019, and it's maybe even more reliable and easier to use than CarPlay these days. If you think differently, I'd love to hear from you.

The second issue is that in 2019, the best option for getting my iTunes library onto my Android phone was JRT Studio and iSyncr. 30% of the time, they worked almost every time, but my Apple Lossless files were a lost cause and my playlists were 50/50 as to whether they'd make it or not. Is there a better solution for that, or will support for iTunes libraries and media still be a thorn in my side if I switch?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-music-itunes-android-230232/

You are facing difficulties because Apple's ecosystem is a walled garden. The wall that 'keeps the bad out', also serves to discourage and punish you for leaving.

The onus is not on Android to support Apple's services. In fact Apple is actively shutting down any effort that successfully make it convenient to migrate out of the ecosystem.

PITA for once, keep your freedom forever

You have low succes rate to escape from apple.

So far there's no perfect way to get all songs to Andriod without hassle.

But I'd recommended Spotify on Andriod side and recommend couple subscribe cheaper i geuss.

And yes you won't keep your songs as ownership.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

2 hours ago, Salted Spinach said:

https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-music-itunes-android-230232/

You are facing difficulties because Apple's ecosystem is a walled garden. The wall that 'keeps the bad out', also serves to discourage and punish you for leaving.

The onus is not on Android to support Apple's services. In fact Apple is actively shutting down any effort that successfully make it convenient to migrate out of the ecosystem.

PITA for once, keep your freedom forever

I'm thinking that my best PITA option might be to convert everything in iTunes that isn't currently an MP3 into one, save the original AAC and MP4/ALAC files to a backup drive, bring the MP3s into something like Google Music or a good third-party music app, and then figure out wtf to do with my 500+ playlists.

Or just go with a 15 Pro/wait for a 16 Pro. I like my iPhone a lot and wouldn't even be considering replacing it if not for the perfect storm of an aging battery, a total lack of 5G support and storage that's filling up. My biggest gripe, and the thing that's making me lean towards Android again, is that there is absolutely no system-level adblocking that I can apply that actually works. If I could get around that, I'd be on this 11 Pro for years to come.

Remember the days when phones were advancing so quickly that a Note II was genuinely outdated within 18 months? And now we have new generations of phones that are essentially the same inside for several iterations in a row, but people still line up for upgrades every year? It reminds me of 2010s Intel. There was literally no improvement from one generation to the next, but enthusiasts lined up to replace their i7-4790K with an i7-6700K regardless.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

9 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I'm thinking that my best PITA option might be to convert everything in iTunes that isn't currently an MP3 into one, save the original AAC and MP4/ALAC files to a backup drive, bring the MP3s into something like Google Music or a good third-party music app, and then figure out wtf to do with my 500+ playlists.

Try bringing over the AAC, MP4 and ALAC without conversion. They are valid audio file formats. Most music playing app recognise AAC and MP4 automatically. If they do not support ALAC, you can get VLC player on Android for free, which should have the required ffmpeg codec to play ALAC.

9 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Or just go with a 15 Pro/wait for a 16 Pro. I like my iPhone a lot and wouldn't even be considering replacing it if not for the perfect storm of an aging battery, a total lack of 5G support and storage that's filling up. My biggest gripe, and the thing that's making me lean towards Android again, is that there is absolutely no system-level adblocking that I can apply that actually works. If I could get around that, I'd be on this 11 Pro for years to come.

Not worth developing Stockholm syndrome just because of Apple's leash on your music library. Break out and allow yourself to get all the things you've always wanted.