Mouse clicks won't always register

Hans Power

You know that issue? Especially in games (for example Baldur's Gate 3) I wanna switch characters by clicking on the portrait real quick but the click doesn't register. Why? Cause I didn't stop quite early enough and the click didn't register as a click but a click and drag. Took me a while to figure that one out. To me that makes everything feel kinda slow and sluggish and is a bit of a bugbear of mine basically since I used Computers - never quite got used to that. So, is there some sort of registry hack which could be used to remedy this? I mean there must be some small middle ground between full stop of the mouse cursor and slight movement and I wonder if that might be adjustable somehow. Or if there's maybe a third party tool which you can used to adjust this.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

25 minutes ago, Hans Power said:

You know that issue? Especially in games (for example Baldur's Gate 3) I wanna switch characters by clicking on the portrait real quick but the click doesn't register. Why? Cause I didn't stop quite early enough and the click didn't register as a click but a click and drag. Took me a while to figure that one out. To me that makes everything feel kinda slow and sluggish and is a bit of a bugbear of mine basically since I used Computers - never quite got used to that. So, is there some sort of registry hack which could be used to remedy this? I mean there must be some small middle ground between full stop of the mouse cursor and slight movement and I wonder if that might be adjustable somehow. Or if there's maybe a third party tool which you can used to adjust this.

Itll also depend on your mouse, what mouse are you using?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

3 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Itll also depend on your mouse, what mouse are you using?

Mostly my trusty old Logitech G9x but I've had several gaming mice from other brands over the years and it was all the same with those. It's not the mouses fault. In BG3 or Windows for that matter I even get the click animation, so it does register properly. It just won't do the appropriate action, likely because I'm moving the mouse away too quickly and there's already slight mouse movement while clicking. A delay before it would initiate a drag of half a second would probably fix that.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

1 minute ago, Hans Power said:

Mostly my trusty old Logitech G9x but I've had several gaming mice from other brands over the years and it was all the same with those. It's not the mouses fault. In BG3 or Windows for that matter I even get the click animation, so it does register properly. It just won't do the appropriate action, likely because I'm moving the mouse away too quickly and there's already slight mouse movement while clicking. A delay before it would initiate a drag of half a second would probably fix that.

Are you using a high DPI? and windows own cursor speed, how is it looking?

System specs:

1 minute ago, TatamiMatt said:

Are you using a high DPI? and windows own cursor speed, how is it looking?

I'm on 1600 DPI right now and Windows Cursor speed is set to medium, no acceleration, of course

3 minutes ago, Hans Power said:

I'm on 1600 DPI right now and Windows Cursor speed is set to medium, no acceleration, of course

Trying lowering DPI and upping cursor speed, will keep mouse speed the same but should make it not as reactive to very small movements

Might net you some forgiveness in the tiny movements caused when clicking

System specs:

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 12:53 PM, TatamiMatt said:

Trying lowering DPI and upping cursor speed, will keep mouse speed the same but should make it not as reactive to very small movements

Might net you some forgiveness in the tiny movements caused when clicking

Reviving this cause I found a workaround. Tried lowering DPI for a while but it didn't make any difference for me. But I just tried putting the weights into my G9x (as well as my G502) and that actually makes a difference. The weights slow down my momentum just enough so that the click registers. Before I tried making my mice as light as possible which probably helps with shooters but not with slower games or in the operating system.