Dell... Why???

Go to solution Solved by da na,
1 minute ago, Hellowpplz said:

Indeed
Dell inspiron 3520 with an i5 1135g7

Unfortunately then, you won't be able to overclock the CPU.

However, with the ThrottleStop software you can prevent it from throttling or clocking down

ThrottleStop 9.6 Download | TechPowerUp

Why are dell's bios' so locked down with almost no options. Is there any way around this so that I can overclock my CPU? I recently got a cooling pad and it keeps my laptop plenty cool so I wanted to overclock beyond my i1135g7's current max of 4.00 ghz. If possible I want to over clock the iris xe graphics as well, because it's clock speed shows up at uhhh 500 mhz 😕 

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

as far as I'm aware, that CPU SKU isn't unlocked anyway, so is not capable of being overclocked.

2 minutes ago, da na said:

Almost no laptops have options to overclock CPU or graphics. 

Dell's business laptops have excellent BIOSes but I presume you have an Inspiron or etc.

Indeed

4 minutes ago, Brando212 said:

as far as I'm aware, that CPU SKU isn't unlocked anyway, so is not capable of being overclocked.

So I can't use setfsb even?

Indeed

However, with the ThrottleStop software you can prevent it from throttling or clocking down

3 minutes ago, da na said:

Will the laptop still shut down if it gets too hot or should I make a system backup to disable it whenever I don't have my cooling pad

Will the laptop still shut down if it gets too hot or should I make a system backup to disable it whenever I don't have my cooling pad

The laptop will still shut down if it gets too hot, that is a feature of the CPU itself.

1 minute ago, da na said:

The laptop will still shut down if it gets too hot, that is a feature of the CPU itself.

Okay I have it open how do I do it.

Its not really worth it on a laptop, even many desktop cpu's nowadays the benefit's are minimal...I have the AMD 5625U version of your laptop, best you can do is upgrade the ram, maybe use an external GPU if you want to go crazy lol

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

3 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

Okay I have it open how do I do it.

image.png.fa8755d0dd6a9cf40f16d75beb8e1c1b.png

Tick the box next to Clock mod and Multiplier, set the values to the max. Make sure "Disable Turbo" is turned off too. You'll probably have some different options from me since, well, this CPU is 17 years old.

Edit: Once you've set values, make sure you click "Turn on"

1 minute ago, Ripred said:

Its not really worth it on a laptop, even many desktop cpu's nowadays the benefit's are minimal...I have the AMD 5625U version of your laptop, best you can do is upgrade the ram, maybe use an external GPU if you want to go crazy lol

I don't have any thunderbolt ports? How would I use an epgu with it?

Just now, Hellowpplz said:

I don't have any thunderbolt ports? How would I use an epgu with it?

You can use the type C usb ports

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

image.png.fa8755d0dd6a9cf40f16d75beb8e1c1b.png

Tick the box next to Clock mod and Multiplier, set the values to the max. Make sure "Disable Turbo" is turned off too. You'll probably have some different options from me since, well, this CPU is 17 years old.

image.png.01bd5f6923d010ea5ac73478bb0cd3b9.pngMine is grayed out and doesn't let me do it.

1 minute ago, Ripred said:

You can use the type C usb ports

There isn't any type C. Only 3 USB A

The whole io IS: 

1 HDMI
3 USB

1 SD

1 3.5mm

image.png.01bd5f6923d010ea5ac73478bb0cd3b9.pngMine is grayed out and doesn't let me do it.

Alright! Wow, that laptop runs awfully hot. Good lord that's terrible.

Well, disable BD PROCHOT... is what I would say if you were in the 70s, but that's unsafe to do when your cores are hitting 100. Also disable C1E. 

Tick the box next to Set Multiplier, that'll lock the multiplier to a higher CPU and force the CPU to clock up. Even if you can't adjust the options, still good to enable

Just now, da na said:

Well, disable BD PROCHOT... is what I would say if you were in the 70s, but that's unsafe to do when your cores are hitting 100. Also disable C1E. 

Tick the box next to Set Multiplier, that'll lock the multiplier to a higher CPU and force the CPU to clock up. Even if you can't adjust the options, still good to enable

The max was 100 C because I ran a benchmark just now lol with all 8 threads

Also I physically can't click set multiplier

The max was 100 C because I ran a benchmark just now lol with all 8 threads

Ah alright... then you could disable BD PROCHOT if it typically does not run that spicy. BD PROCHOT causes the CPU to thermal throttle at high temperatures so you could squeeze a little more performance out of it - just be careful.

There isn't any type C. Only 3 USB A

The whole io IS: 

1 HDMI
3 USB

1 SD

1 3.5mm

oh dang, nm lol, i miss read your model number, dyslexic moment...mines inspiron but a few years newer

2 minutes ago, da na said: