Very Basic Audio Mixer Suggestions

Aaron_T

Pretty much an audio newb, but looking for a cheap (don't really have a set budget, I just don't want anything very complicated or large) basic, but reliable, mixer to accomplish the following. 

1. Connect to 1 MacBook and 1 PC tower. AUX preferred.
2. Output audio to a headset over AUX or USB. AUX still preferred.
3. Pass through MIC from my headset to at least the MacBook. If this could be done with AUX combo jack that would be ideal so I don't need another dongle for the MacBook
4. Basic volume adjustments for PC and MacBook audio. I don't need anything fancy here.

General info, this is just for a desk job work scenario (think Zoom calls on the MacBook and Spotify on the PC). I don't want to carry two head sets, or constantly switch plugs. I don't want a mixer that adds much weight to my backpack. The mixer can be battery powered, or wall plug, don't care too much. Definitely open to suggestion on IO types, or other considerations. Mostly shooting for a convenience tool with this.

Very much appreciate your time, thoughts, and suggestions.

Tascam, Behringer, and Mackie all make decent entry-level stuff. 

Don't be afraid to shop for used audio gear, too.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

This is kind of tricky... Most mixers are more for XLR/1/4" connections, and because of that, they're big-ish and you'd need a bag full of adapters. There's two ways of going about this, one will require a slightly larger USB mixer (dongle for your MacBook), the other, a tangle of cables and adapters if you'd prefer to keep it all analog and use AUX/3.5mm connections. I'm assuming you do not want the PC audio to go to the MacBook either. What is your budget as well?

I've only used these ART products in passing, but they seem to be decent. Take a look at this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBMIX4--art-usbmix4-mixer-with-usb

Headset would go to the headset section obviously.. You'll need one of these if you have a TRRS plug on your headset, usually headsets come with them. CH1 level will control your mic level.

image.png.a4ada35a062c4a8c66d4b73a2177da98.png

There's some parts of this that I'm not exactly sure how this mixer functions, like the 'loopback,' and what exactly the 'computer level' controls (is it the audio coming back to the mixer from USB, or the AUX/MP3 input?). Also not sure where/if there is volume control for the AUX/MP3 IN input either. You might need an 1/8" to 1/4" adapter depending how the AUX/MP3 input works if you'd like volume control on the mixer for that. But you should be able to send the audio from the MacBook back to the mixer over USB, and that will be treated as an input (no extra cable/adapter). Bonus is this thing is USB powered, so that's pretty cool. You'd need to be able to control the PC volume with one of the level knobs if you want to keep Spotify from going to the MacBook.

But honestly if it were me, I'd just listen to Spotify on the MacBook, avoid the mixer and second PC, and just mute/pause whatever it is I'm listening to when I'm in meetings..

On 2/6/2024 at 5:33 PM, Needfuldoer said:

Tascam, Behringer, and Mackie all make decent entry-level stuff. 

Don't be afraid to shop for used audio gear, too.

can you link some examples?  I've wanted something similar in the past and gave up

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

14 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

a tangle of cables and adapters if you'd prefer to keep it all analog and use AUX/3.5mm connections.

How would this be done? I could see splitting a MIC signal out to two devices, but it doesn't seem to me like it would be possible to get the audio from two devices into the same headset with passive cables only.

What is your budget as well?

I don't really have a budget. I can spend what it takes for a functional, reliable, and elegant solution.

I've only used these ART products in passing, but they seem to be decent. Take a look at this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBMIX4--art-usbmix4-mixer-with-usb

This seems like it would work, but is significantly larger than I'd prefer to add to my backpack. Also, this will be sitting at an office desk, sometimes un-attended, so I don't want anything that will draw too much attention.

I found this:
https://a.co/d/b8mlaCc

Which seems like it has the correct functionality and formfactor for me. But I know nothing about this brand, and it has questionable reviews. But figured it would be a good example of the ballpark I am targeting with this device.

6 hours ago, Aaron_T said:

How would this be done? I could see splitting a MIC signal out to two devices, but it doesn't seem to me like it would be possible to get the audio from two devices into the same headset with passive cables only.

Do you need the mic to send audio to both devices, or just the MacBook? Does your headset have a TRRS plug or separate mic and headphone plugs?

This is another brand I don't have a lot of experience with hands-on, but they seem to be okay: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MX41B--rolls-mx41b-stereo-4-channel-mixer

I'm going on some assumptions with this device/setup. One, you only need your headset mic to go to the MacBook; and two, that you don't need the mixer to adjust mic volume.

1) MacBook combo jack gets a male 3.5mm TRRS plug to female 3.5mm TRS splitter:

image.png.6694f3bd916a6cbfce6fa8960216f6eb.png

2) 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable from MB splitter headphone to Input 1 on mixer

3) Mic 3.5mm from your headset to MB splitter microphone female jack

4) 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable from PC to Input 2

5) Headphone plug from headset to output of mixer