"Out of Video memory" Common issue and my thoughts on a workaround.

Mods, if this gains any traction and should be moved, by all means. I am just sharing my experience here for discussion.  I posted this as a reply in a GPU thread, and it turned into the post I was gonna make here, So I just copied it over.

I was gonna post a 'my experience' writeup on this topic.  Seems to be happening to a lot of i9 people. I've done a crapload of research and came to a few common workarounds, and then a solution for myself that differed from the common solution.  Maybe my insight will help. I'm not a guru like the people on here, but I did have this issue and wanted to post about it in general. In searching, I saw your thread and figured I'd post quick before I wrote up in a bit more detail. Everyone keeps saying look to the GPU, the drivers, the SSD firmware, fresh OS install etc.... Here are my thoughts.

For context, I'm running a 14900kf and 4090 OC edition with 24GB of VRAM. There should be no way I got this message either.

Started in a few games, then spread to other games. I did some looking and similar systems with high end GPUs and more specifically i9 chips see mto be the only ones I found affected. i9 intel cpus seem to be the common denominator here with Generation varying and GPUs varying. Everyone seems to have the same story, Started in a few programs, then started happening widespread. People had tried OS reinstall, warranting the chip, the mobo etc, problems would fix, but then come back eventually. etc etc. Just as I experienced w/o the warranting of hardware.

Seems the error is misleading. IMO It never ended up 'actually' being video memory. I'm personally running 24gb of video mem, and when being run in these games that crashed with the error, never had less than 20gb left available. Games would usually crash at initial loading screen.

A lot of the GAME-SPECIFIC threads had a common solution that seems to work for many by underclocking their CPU. eg going from a 45 multiplier to a 44. or reducing clock speeds by as little as .25 have been reported to work in some cases I read up about.  Great solution, right? well maybe. if you're into that. But it seemed to be a functional workaround.

So I didn't try this, and its running like a top now with an alternate solution. Nothing crashes anymore. The common solution seemed to point to the stock clock or overclock settings stressing the CPU and needing to dial back ever so slightly to avoid the issues. For reference this happens with my KF CPU with no integrated graphics, and others that have it.

In monitoring I notice core throttling and high temps, as do everyone with these 12-14 and more 13+14th gen fireballs. Seemed to relate (although maybe just in my rationale). Instead of downclocking, all I did was disable MOBO voltage enhancements and run Intel's stock settings. (Also updated UEFI, as it seems in some MOBO cases provide different voltages to the CPUs, however, this was sorting previous issues not this specific one). On my Z790 board. Strix z790E I simply click 'DISABLE ASUS MULTICORE ENHANCEMENT - ENFORCE ALL LIMITS' (Intel limits for cpu applied) and it solved the problem. I assume this is similar to a downclock, as it will put less stress on the cpu? I dunno. Maybe the guys here can offer some additional input, but this works fine for me. When I turn the voltage back up or try and push the clock to 6.2 from 6.0 or something, it works fora bit, then starts to degrade and the errors come back. If i leave it alone, it leaves me alone. True story.

Maybe this will help before people run down the rabbit hole.

Community, Thoughts?

Edit - this was supposed to post in general. Reposted. Not sure how to delete this one......

1 hour ago, HayuPhukmiWife said:

Mods, if this gains any traction and should be moved, by all means. I am just sharing my experience here for discussion.  I posted this as a reply in a GPU thread, and it turned into the post I was gonna make here, So I just copied it over.

I was gonna post a 'my experience' writeup on this topic.  Seems to be happening to a lot of i9 people. I've done a crapload of research and came to a few common workarounds, and then a solution for myself that differed from the common solution.  Maybe my insight will help. I'm not a guru like the people on here, but I did have this issue and wanted to post about it in general. In searching, I saw your thread and figured I'd post quick before I wrote up in a bit more detail. Everyone keeps saying look to the GPU, the drivers, the SSD firmware, fresh OS install etc.... Here are my thoughts.

For context, I'm running a 14900kf and 4090 OC edition with 24GB of VRAM. There should be no way I got this message either.

Started in a few games, then spread to other games. I did some looking and similar systems with high end GPUs and more specifically i9 chips see mto be the only ones I found affected. i9 intel cpus seem to be the common denominator here with Generation varying and GPUs varying. Everyone seems to have the same story, Started in a few programs, then started happening widespread. People had tried OS reinstall, warranting the chip, the mobo etc, problems would fix, but then come back eventually. etc etc. Just as I experienced w/o the warranting of hardware.

Seems the error is misleading. IMO It never ended up 'actually' being video memory. I'm personally running 24gb of video mem, and when being run in these games that crashed with the error, never had less than 20gb left available. Games would usually crash at initial loading screen.

A lot of the GAME-SPECIFIC threads had a common solution that seems to work for many by underclocking their CPU. eg going from a 45 multiplier to a 44. or reducing clock speeds by as little as .25 have been reported to work in some cases I read up about.  Great solution, right? well maybe. if you're into that. But it seemed to be a functional workaround.

So I didn't try this, and its running like a top now with an alternate solution. Nothing crashes anymore. The common solution seemed to point to the stock clock or overclock settings stressing the CPU and needing to dial back ever so slightly to avoid the issues. For reference this happens with my KF CPU with no integrated graphics, and others that have it.

In monitoring I notice core throttling and high temps, as do everyone with these 12-14 and more 13+14th gen fireballs. Seemed to relate (although maybe just in my rationale). Instead of downclocking, all I did was disable MOBO voltage enhancements and run Intel's stock settings. (Also updated UEFI, as it seems in some MOBO cases provide different voltages to the CPUs, however, this was sorting previous issues not this specific one). On my Z790 board. Strix z790E I simply click 'DISABLE ASUS MULTICORE ENHANCEMENT - ENFORCE ALL LIMITS' (Intel limits for cpu applied) and it solved the problem. I assume this is similar to a downclock, as it will put less stress on the cpu? I dunno. Maybe the guys here can offer some additional input, but this works fine for me. When I turn the voltage back up or try and push the clock to 6.2 from 6.0 or something, it works fora bit, then starts to degrade and the errors come back. If i leave it alone, it leaves me alone. True story.

Maybe this will help before people run down the rabbit hole.

Community, Thoughts?

Edit - this was supposed to post in general. Reposted. Not sure how to delete this one......

any idea what this option would be called on an amd platform bios?

44 minutes ago, Mando772004 said:

It sure. But it would be something to do with board voltage limits vs Intel stock limits.

Also I'm not sure if this would be the cause or solution with AMD. All my research was based on the issue with Intel CPUs.

My bios actually asks me at initial boot or after bios updates if I want to enable mobo volts or Intel limits. 

I found it in power management or core voltage management or something. I'm sure you could search the board type on Google and ask how to enforce cpu manufacturer voltage limits. 

I was like .300 volts higher with the Asus settings enabled. Something like 1.45v vs 1.14v (not actual numbers. I can't recall the exact numbers)

What mobo/cpu do you have? Maybe I can find the setting?

53 minutes ago, Mando772004 said:

I would search for things along this line and find them in your bios. I think undervolting the cpu does the same thing, so you could adjust core voltage or however the overclockers do undervolting. There's lots of writeups on it. Hopefully someone that knows Intel and AMD bios settings chimes in here

20240204_114900.jpg

20240204_114925.jpg

20240204_114933.jpg

20240204_114943.jpg

I think this comes under PBO settings on an AM5 board atleast on my msi board.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

On 2/4/2024 at 10:56 AM, Mando772004 said:

Possibly answered by our friend in the above quote, and quoted below. Thanks Bagzie

If you can search your BIOS, try Searching for PBO or Precision boost overdrive

On 2/4/2024 at 11:07 PM, Bagzie said:

I think this comes under PBO settings on an AM5 board atleast on my msi board.