Switches from different brands

PedroL2000

I've just ordered a Cherry MX switch tester on amazon before buying a mechanical keyboard, but here in Brazil there weren't testers from other brands. I wonder if for TESTS only (so I know which kind of switch to pick) is the Cherry tester enough? Or do I need testers from other brands

There are a lot of different switches in the world and not all of them are from Cherry themselves. They do have a decent variety so you can use it as a refference while comparing to other switches.

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 🤠

Other switch brands (Eg. Gateron) do offer some different-feeling switches.

However, a LOT of brands just try to clone the feel of Cherry's switches - I'll go ahead and say most switches you will find on big marketplaces like AliExpress, eBay, Amazon will just be Cherry copies since Cherry switches tend to be the "standard".

As such, you should be totally fine with just a Cherry tester. 

19 hours ago, PedroL2000 said:

. I wonder if for TESTS only (so I know which kind of switch to pick) is the Cherry tester enough?

The tester will likely show you what a light vs a heavy linear vs a tactile vs clicky is. However, there are a ton of switch manufacturers out there, with a variety of switch designs.

Now, not all of these are unique or completely different, but afaik cherry only covers a part of the overall design space. So getting a gateron or Kailh switch tester as well might not be a bad idea.

In the end though, it really depends on what you are looking for. A general idea of what mechanical switches are? Cherry is good enough for that.

A comparison of popular switches so you can get an idea what some niche switch is about? Then you need more.