"Legacy" Denon AVR Firmware.

Anyone got any sources on how to obtain firmware for AVR's that Denon now deem a legacy product?

Have an AVR-X2000 I picked up cheap a year and a half ago that had no HDMI output and just the other day I bought a second one that had a dead amplifier circuitry and I switched the board with the HDMI switching from this new one into my existing one which worked no bother. Unfortunately, that board also has the main processor and firmware chip on it too and its not been updated to support Spotify connect like I had done with my one. And it now refuses to update since Denon have now marked this unit as legacy since June last year according to the entirely useless Denon customer support person who also seems unable to send me the firmware directly.

So now I'm torn, cause I use the Spotify connect feature more than I ever actually use the video output of the thing, but it then makes my entire purchase of the second reciever a massive waste of time and money.

I also probably could locate the ROM chip on my old board and switch it to the new one, but I don't have the equiptment or skills to be able to pull off such a procedure without entirely destroying everything...

It's just frustrating casue these have the ability to be updated "locally" via the web gui as far as I'm aware, and failing that, there is a USB port on the front wired up for data and I'm led to believe It can be used for updating, but Denon just seem to refuse access to the firmware.

Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions. 

Reading this post, it appears someone (mjv247) was able to get some firmware files:  https://www.avsforum.com/threads/denon-firmware-solution-to-update-issues.1432935/#post_22472912

If you can somehow get your hands on the firmware file you could try these steps that were in a manual for another Denon AVR:

How to update by USB Memory

You can update the firmware by downloading the latest version with USB Memory.

3.1. Connecting to the Network

(1) Requirements

• USB Memory capacity : FAT16 : 2 GB, FAT32 : 2 TB

• USB memory devices will not work via a USB hub.

• It is not possible to use this unit by connecting the unit's USB port to a PC via a USB cable.

• Do not use an extension cable when connecting a USB memory device.

This may cause radio interference.

Place the USB update File in an appropriate folder. The folder name should be the Product ID based on the Model

name/area.

Model Name

AVR1913

North America (E3)

North America (E3)

AVR2113

Europe (E2)

China (E1C)

(2) Setting

Download

firmware onto USB

memory.

z Do not place anything other than

the Firmware in the USB memory.

3.2. Download the firmware

(1) While pressing the "STATUS" button and the "SOURCE SELECT 0 " button at the same time, power on this unit.

(AVR1913) g

While pressing the "STATUS" button and the "TUNER PRESET CH –" button at the same time,power on this unit.

(AVR2113) g

(2) "USB Update Start" appears in the FL Display.

(3) Press the "ENTER" button on remote control. "UpdateFileCheck" appears in the FL Display and the Update of the

Firmware starts.

(4) During the update, the power indicator lights in red and the GUI screen display disappears.

The remaining update time appears in the display on the main unit.

When the update is completed, "Updateing Complete" appears in the FL Display and then this unit returns to the

normal state.

(5) Execute a initialization (10 page).

--- Cautions on Firmware Update ---

• Do not remove a USB memory until updating is completed.

• Do not turn off the power until updating is completed.

Approximately 1 hour is required for the updating procedure to be completed.

Once updating starts, normal operations on the this unit cannot be performed until updating is completed. Also, setting

items of the GUI menu of this unit or setting items of the image adjustment may be initialized.

Note down the settings before updating, and set them again after updating.

But I'm just talking out my ass.

Thanks for your input @aggie113

i came across that thread too, I believe up until around 4-5 years ago Denon used to host their firmware files on their site available to download and install either via USB or the web GUI but according to another thread I found elsewhere (maybe Reddit?) that has apparently beeb shut down. Plus my box is now considered “legacy” so seeing how they’re operating, they’d probably have removed the firmware files from their site.

I'm hoping that if I just keep badgering support they may provide me with it, but I highly doubt its gonna work. Did catch them lying aswell, claimed that spotify dropped support for connect for these AVRs in 2023 when Denon made them legacy but Spotify connect has been working up until the moment I ripped the board out of it and switched it...

The user on avsforum seems to have your same model.  I would try contacting them to see if they still have the files or if they got the issue resolved.

12 hours ago, aggie113 said:

The user on avsforum seems to have your same model.  I would try contacting them to see if they still have the files or if they got the issue resolved.

Hmm, could do although that was TEN years ago so I highly doubt he’ll respond, let alone remember the solution.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, you can write Denon here:

https://www.denon.jp/ja-jp/support/home

Scroll down nearly to the end. There is a link to a form where you can send your request.

This way they sent me a wetransfer download link for the latest X2000 Firmware file (2018) for USB update just this month.

I also sent you my personal download link as DM, however the link expires in 7 days.

On 2/12/2024 at 12:05 PM, Bender2k said:

Hi, you can write Denon here:

https://www.denon.jp/ja-jp/support/home

Scroll down nearly to the end. There is a link to a form where you can send your request.

This way they sent me a wetransfer download link for the latest X2000 Firmware file (2018) for USB update just this month.

I also sent you my personal download link as DM, however the link expires in 7 days.

Any idea how to initiate the update without the remote for the AVR? Managed to get to the usb update screen but I can’t press enter since my remote has gone walkies.

eBay.  metric tons of old remotes for cheap 🙂  
Or a universal remote, it probably will have a programming code for your Denon.

On 2/14/2024 at 5:22 AM, aggie113 said:

eBay.  metric tons of old remotes for cheap 🙂  
Or a universal remote, it probably will have a programming code for your Denon.

Ya, ended up doing exactly that.

thank you very much @Bender2k the firmware works a treat and I FINALLY have my Spotify back. 

now, how long til it blows up an amp or some shit…