Need a decent budget GPU.

I’ve been using an RX 570 for years now and it’s starting to really show its age. I have been out of the GPU game for years now so I have no idea where to start. I just want something that will play most newer games at medium to high presets (not opposed to low if needed) at 1080p. Not looking to play anything in 4k. My cpu is a 10100f and I have only 16gb of ram. My budget is about $300 but I may be able to go as high as $400.  What would you recommend?  I am open to AMD, Nvidia or Intel. I play a lot of Hogwarts Legacy and Fallout 4.  I’d love to be able to play Starfield, if even at low settings.  Thanks for any help you can give. 

A $300 to $400 budget can go pretty far, to the extent I would almost recommend both a cpu and GPU.

Since you can get i5 11400F’s for about $120 and a titan Xp for around $220, the pairing of both of those would be night and day compared to your current setup, and would play anything out today at least in 1080p at decent settings.

Or to just go entirely in on a GPU, rtx 2080ti.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

A $300 to $400 budget can go pretty far, to the extent I would almost recommend both a cpu and GPU.

Since you can get i5 11400F’s for about $120 and a titan Xp for around $220, the pairing of both of those would be night and day compared to your current setup, and would play anything out today at least in 1080p at decent settings.

Or to just go entirely in on a GPU, rtx 2080ti.

I probably should have mentioned that I definitely want to stick to something new for warranty reasons. I’ve had pretty bad luck with used hardware lately.  Not sure if you were taking new or used. 

As for my CPU, my wife is actually going to be buying me an upgrade for my birthday in May. It’s a ways to wait but, saves me some cash, lol. 

for gpu alone:

right now it seems for gaming amd is the way to go. probably rx 6000 (we are currently on rx 7000 so not that old) just because of the pricing. You can bascially go for anything from a rx 6600 class ($200 usd) to a 6800 class ($400 usd or a little more)

If you do want to go nvidia best option is to grab a 3060 or 4060, both are around the same price and performance, notable differences are 3060s tend to hover closer to $290 while the 4060 is dead at $300 right now. 3060 has 12gb vram while the 4060 has 8. 4060 is more power efficient and can be faster in certain games that support dlss. both will get murdered in rasterization by a rx 6700 class + ($300ish)

note I say class for the amd card since they have so many models, eg 6700, 6750, 6700 xt, 6750 xt, etc lol

note that you will probably have some cpu bottlenecking with these cards. I cant pick the perfect one for you so do a little research, read a couple articles, and you'll be golden 😄

2 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I probably should have mentioned that I definitely want to stick to something new for warranty reasons. I’ve had pretty bad luck with used hardware lately.  Not sure if you were taking new or used. 

As for my CPU, my wife is actually going to be buying me an upgrade for my birthday in May. It’s a ways to wait but, saves me some cash, lol. 

New only kinda leaves you with just the rx 6700xt. Which is a good choice overall for its price, it’s just not that impressive of jump as something around $320 used would be. Because used that’s the 2080ti’s price range which will be a better performer. If you’re intent on doing new on a budget that’s the route I’d go, 6700xt.

2 minutes ago, RandomLegoBrick said:

for gpu alone:

right now it seems for gaming amd is the way to go. probably rx 6000 (we are currently on rx 7000 so not that old) just because of the pricing. You can bascially go for anything from a rx 6600 class ($200 usd) to a 6800 class ($400 usd or a little more)

If you do want to go nvidia best option is to grab a 3060 or 4060, both are around the same price and performance, notable differences are 3060s tend to hover closer to $290 while the 4060 is dead at $300 right now. 3060 has 12gb vram while the 4060 has 8. 4060 is more power efficient and can be faster in certain games that support dlss. both will get murdered in rasterization by a rx 6700 class + ($300ish)

note I say class for the amd card since they have so many models, eg 6700, 6750, 6700 xt, 6750 xt, etc lol

note that you will probably have some cpu bottlenecking with these cards. I cant pick the perfect one for you so do a little research, read a couple articles, and you'll be golden 😄

Thank you!  This is what I was looking for. I just needed kind of a point in the right direction to get started.   I’m looking to jump to an i7 in may so I shouldn’t have much of a bottleneck after then. 

3 hours ago, 8tg said:

New only kinda leaves you with just the rx 6700xt. Which is a good choice overall for its price, it’s just not that impressive of jump as something around $320 used would be. Because used that’s the 2080ti’s price range which will be a better performer. If you’re intent on doing new on a budget that’s the route I’d go, 6700xt.

Cant you grab a used RX6800 which would be faster than a 2080ti

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

3 hours ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I’m looking to jump to an i7 in may so I shouldn’t have much of a bottleneck after then. 

That'll be a really capable rig, sounds awesome! good luck man!