Ryzen 7 7800X3D a good upgrade for a I9 12900KS?

I currently have an I9 12900KS with DDR4 Ram in my mostly gaming/sometimes blender computer and it's been working great. 

I'm looking to upgrade (maybe in a few weeks), and I'm looking at the Ryzen 7 7800X3D for that. 

I mainly use my computer for gaming (MSFS 2020, Cities Skylines, Minecraft, etc) with some occasional use of Blender for either 3d modeling or animation/rendering.

Would it be a good upgrade for my machine? Or should I go for something else?

Likely not. 7800X3D will be significantly slower in allcore render loads, about the same (within literally a couple fps) in most games, and then actually reasonably faster in games that leverage the X3D cache properly. A 7950X3D would be a better fit for what you're doing, but also more of a side-grade than an upgrade. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Likely not. 7800X3D will be significantly slower in allcore render loads, about the same (within literally a couple fps) in most games, and then actually reasonably faster in games that leverage the X3D cache properly. A 7950X3D would be a better fit for what you're doing, but also more of a side-grade than an upgrade. 

Okay, that makes sense. 

If that's the case, should I stay with intel for my next upgrade then like the i9 13900k? 

I've heard that it's still compatible with Z690 motherboards and DDR4 Ram (I have an Asus Z690 DDR4 board).

2 minutes ago, Krai1234 said:

Okay, that makes sense. 

If that's the case, should I stay with intel for my next upgrade then like the i9 13900k? 

I've heard that it's still compatible with Z690 motherboards and DDR4 Ram (I have an Asus Z690 DDR4 board).

13900K adds 8 more E-cores and... that's about it. It's clocked slightly higher, and there's a bit more cache but that's likely there due to the higher core count. You'd likely see 0 benefit in games, in allcore workloads it would be quicker due to the 8 more E-cores (slower than P-cores but still, 8 cores is 8 cores). 

2 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

They're damn near impossible to cool and will drive up your power bill, plus mechanical issues that necessitate a contact frame.

Every review of them I've seen cools the chip with a 280mm or 360mm AIO just fine. You can add a contact frame if you want, AFAIK they're like $20, not a big deal. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

13900K adds 8 more E-cores and... that's about it. It's clocked slightly higher, and there's a bit more cache but that's likely there due to the higher core count. You'd likely see 0 benefit in games, in allcore workloads it would be quicker due to the 8 more E-cores (slower than P-cores but still, 8 cores is 8 cores). 

Every review of them I've seen cools the chip with a 280mm or 360mm AIO just fine. You can add a contact frame if you want, AFAIK they're like $20, not a big deal. 

That makes sense, and I already have a 360mm AIO with a contact frame, so cooling is fine.

The performance that I have is pretty good so far in terms of games. I do see some occasional stutter here and there on MSFS at 4k, but nothing terrible. 

From what I'm hearing so far, I don't really have much to upgrade to at the moment as I'm pretty much fine?

Just now, Krai1234 said:

That makes sense, and I already have a 360mm AIO with a contact frame, so cooling is fine.

The performance that I have is pretty good so far in terms of games. I do see some occasional stutter here and there on MSFS at 4k, but nothing terrible. 

From what I'm hearing so far, I don't really have much to upgrade to at the moment as I'm pretty much fine?

Pretty much, unless you're worried about the actual power draw itself as Schnoz noted. That'd be the only real reason to up/sidegrade IMO. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

Pretty much, unless you're worried about the actual power draw itself as Schnoz noted. That'd be the only real reason to up/sidegrade IMO. 

That is a consideration I'm worried about. 

I use my computer for around ~4 Hours at a time, sometimes longer depending on what I do. So, power draw is something I'm increasingly considering.

I have gone into Intel XTU and undervolted to about-0.055 mV. 

Another slightly annoying thing is the fan noise as they always go to max or close to max when gaming and stay that way until I stop gaming. So, that is something I'm thinking about. 

Rendering time isn't something I come up against too often since the stuff that I render and nodding aren't very heavy (~1 minute) but sometimes I do try some heavier stuff (~20-30 minutes). But that's not too often.

Just now, Krai1234 said:

Another slightly annoying thing is the fan noise as they always go to max or close to max when gaming and stay that way until I stop gaming. So, that is something I'm thinking about. 

What fans? Your AIO fans should be set based off coolant temp so they don't do that, if they're set to run off the CPU temp then they will ramp up and down obnoxiously. 

1 minute ago, Krai1234 said:

I use my computer for around ~4 Hours at a time, sometimes longer depending on what I do. So, power draw is something I'm increasingly considering.

Unless power is expensive for you then the PC draw isn't really an issue. Though PCs are incredibly good at blasting that wattage out of the case as heat, so I do find with my PC that it will fight my AC on warm days, and that could measurably bump the power bill given the wattage those units draw.

As far as PC power itself goes, I only ever noticed a large power bill spike when running ~400W of hardware 24/7 for a full month during a folding@home event a few years back. Those happen during the winter months so it wasn't fighting my AC (in fact it actually helped my heater instead), so I do wonder what the numbers would have been like if it were summer. 

Main PC 

16 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

What fans? Your AIO fans should be set based off coolant temp so they don't do that, if they're set to run off the CPU temp then they will ramp up and down obnoxiously. 

Unless power is expensive for you then the PC draw isn't really an issue. Though PCs are incredibly good at blasting that wattage out of the case as heat, so I do find with my PC that it will fight my AC on warm days, and that could measurably bump the power bill given the wattage those units draw.

As far as PC power itself goes, I only ever noticed a large power bill spike when running ~400W of hardware 24/7 for a full month during a folding@home event a few years back. Those happen during the winter months so it wasn't fighting my AC (in fact it actually helped my heater instead), so I do wonder what the numbers would have been like if it were summer. 

That's fair. 

I have been basing the fan speed off the CPU temp as the i9 goes to around ~87°C sustained when gaming. I never knew you could base the fan speed off coolant temp rather CPU temp. I might try that, though I don't think I have enough thermal headroom for that, but I'll still give it a shot to see. 

As for power, I do want to lower the power consumption of my system as a whole since my parents are the ones currently paying for the electricity, and I want to lower my power usage out of courtesy. I do find that in the winter months, my room does get a little warm when the PC is running and it does help with heating like for yours, but it might not be ideal for me during the warmer months.

Thanks for the info though. 

I might look at the non X3D chips for AM5 or I might stay with my current system for a bit longer and see how things play out.