Double charged VAT

Thorarin

I know this place isn't for support, but both my support requests and a tweet to lttstore are being completely ignored.

Months ago, I ordered an LTT backpack. VAT for my country (NL) was charged on checkout.

Upon delivery, VAT was charged again by customs. There is a standing policy that this is basically the fault of the shipping party and you should reclaim the VAT they charged with them, so you.

I've tried explaining this in more detail in tickets twice, and gotten zero response.

I'm also curious if others have had the same issue? I don't really appreciate being overcharged nearly $50 on a purchase, personally.

Are you sure that wasn't import duty and not another sales tax?

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

4 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Are you sure that wasn't import duty and not another sales tax?

Yes, I included receipts with specifications in both tickets. They were labeled BTW = VAT.
Solely because the VAT had to be charged customs added administrative costs on top of it, but I didn't even complain about that because I couldn't be bothered. I'll eat those costs, but at least I should be able to get the VAT – that they don't have to fork over now – refunded.

Quick Google search says that a 21% VAT applies to all imports as well as import duties as a % of total worth of product from 3rd countries (outside EU). Everything seems to check out. 

And while not all but most countries also apply a tax on the purchased product within their own country. Canadian government want their share first, then the Holland one joins you.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

1 hour ago, Thorarin said:

I know this place isn't for support, but both my support requests and a tweet to lttstore are being completely ignored.

Months ago, I ordered an LTT backpack. VAT for my country (NL) was charged on checkout.

Upon delivery, VAT was charged again by customs. There is a standing policy that this is basically the fault of the shipping party and you should reclaim the VAT they charged with them, so you.

I've tried explaining this in more detail in tickets twice, and gotten zero response.

I'm also curious if others have had the same issue? I don't really appreciate being overcharged nearly $50 on a purchase, personally.

Firstly, known "bug" (more like they just don't care since most of their customers don't complain enough) in Shopify, it collects the EU taxes even when it shouldn't do it in the first place with orders totaling higher than 150€. Backpack is still over 150€ so the VAT is collected by the customs and not by the seller.

Secondly, "bug" in the Wizmo tracking. Generally the IOSS (paid VAT) info is logged with the tracking number, but since with LTTStore purchases, at least sometimes, the tracking number changes in the middle of the delivery because Wizmo uses their own tracking number system that isn't the same as the global standard tracking number system so IOSS can be lost in the middle of that change because everyone else does use standard system. As in, Wizmo doesn't use standard "CA948752475NL" ("[origin country code]tracking number[destination country code]") tracking number system which DHL or whoever does the shipping from Wizmo center to the customer do use.

Not really fault of the LTTStore but their partners. LTTStore probably has a ton of these cases in line waiting for processing so if you already sent them the receipt for paying the customs again, just wait, they will process and refund you when they get so far down the line.

They also seem to be trying to double charge me... In fact they seem to have given a higher value to my order than what I paid making me need to pay all sorts of extra costs...

Is it normal to give non sale prices when someone boought something during a sale? That's the only thing I can think of, but that doesn't seem right?

They've previously said they'd sort that, but yeah you have to go through and have a response from lttstore support.

57 minutes ago, Meet The Pyro said:

Is it normal to give non sale prices when someone boought something during a sale? That's the only thing I can think of, but that doesn't seem right?

It's likely shipping cost, which unfortunately counts in the value.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

25 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It's likely shipping cost, which unfortunately counts in the value.

Even with the shipping costs I'm under 150. They just labeled the items to be valued at 220 USD whereas I paid under 150 for the goods + shipping

5 hours ago, venomtail said:

Quick Google search says that a 21% VAT applies to all imports as well as import duties as a % of total worth of product from 3rd countries (outside EU). Everything seems to check out. 

And while not all but most countries also apply a tax on the purchased product within their own country. Canadian government want their share first, then the Holland one joins you.

No, it doesn't check out.

There are relatively new regulations where web shops are expected to advance charge the VAT and then it won't be charged at customs. This happens to things I order all the time. The same happened with the backpack, except it was charged again at customs.

3 hours ago, Meet The Pyro said:

They also seem to be trying to double charge me... In fact they seem to have given a higher value to my order than what I paid making me need to pay all sorts of extra costs...

For me, the VAT calculation by customs was really weird, but actually slightly less than 21%. Somehow 21% got charged over part of the order, and a lower percentage over another amount. It made no sense, as there was only one product in the shipment.

3 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Not really fault of the LTTStore but their partners. LTTStore probably has a ton of these cases in line waiting for processing so if you already sent them the receipt for paying the customs again, just wait, they will process and refund you when they get so far down the line.

If this is really the reason, that would be completely unacceptable. I've sent the first ticket in early August. That's four months now!
I haven't even received any automated response so far.

17 minutes ago, Thorarin said:

If this is really the reason, that would be completely unacceptable. I've sent the first ticket in early August. That's four months now!
I haven't even received any automated response so far.

Where did you send it? As you've said, there's an automated email to acknowledge the ticket, which is, well, automatic - if you haven't received it, that can easily mean they actually didn't get it and therefore you're waiting for months for something that may never happen. I sent a couple of questions their way and every time I got the 'we've got it' message within minutes.

1 hour ago, FFLORO said:

Where did you send it? As you've said, there's an automated email to acknowledge the ticket, which is, well, automatic - if you haven't received it, that can easily mean they actually didn't get it and therefore you're waiting for months for something that may never happen. I sent a couple of questions their way and every time I got the 'we've got it' message within minutes.

Yup, definitely sounds like it was not received by them, or that their responses haven’t made it back to OP. They answer every ticket that comes in.