Ongoing Windows 10 BSODs... =(

Xiauj

Hi all, I made a forum post (here) a while back.....

TLDR, I thought I was getting BSODs because of My SSD hence why it's posted in the Storage Devices sub-forum. Anyway, I am still getting BSODs at completely random times ever since I started getting them back in October 2023. The aforementioned BSOD(s) in particular keeps happening when I'm playing a game, browsing the web (Not as often), etc.., the error-message is: `WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR`, I am also seeing Event 41 Kernel-Power ("The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.") every time the system crashes.

• I have tried updating GPU Drivers, updating Windows 10 numerous times, still no difference. (Note: My antivirus keeps moaning at Me about My Intel Gigabit (/Gigabyte?) Driver being out of date but I don't know how to update it / which specific file / driver I need according to My motherboard, etc..)
  • I have tried checking My components and certain components' health, like My M.2 SSD for example which is Good (Status) according to the software that I use.
  • Since I'd say.... early November 2023, I have had two 8GB DIMMs instead of four. Normally I would have four, so basically 32GB total (4x8GB), but having 16GB total (2x8GB) still causes BSODs. (Note: I have two 16GB (2x8GB) kits, I know this is NOT efficient, well from what I've been told anyway, but umm....... yeah. 🤷‍♂️😬)

I have also noticed that My PC will for whatever stupid reason, will not create minidump files...., I've tried tweaking the settings but no change. The most recent one is from 25/01/2022 and there's another one from 08/08/2021. How can I fix/resolve this to further investigate what could be at fault and/or what is causing the BSODs?

If You need My PC Specs, look on My LTT Forum Profile on the left-hand side (panel), it's a bit outdated but most of it is still the same, the only outdated parts are: Display(s) / Keyboard and the RAM sort of, let Me explain:

Note: I know My PC Specs are... 'somewhat old', first gen.- Ryzen etc.., but not that old.

• I have 4 Displays currently (1x 43" TV as a monitor (Don't ask lol) / 2x Samsung U28E590D's / a 23"(?) Samsung 1920x1080p cheap-o monitor) instead of 2 total monitors/displays.
  • I have a custom keyboard, not the Corsair Strafe RGB, that's long gone 😂
  • For the RAM, I have 2x of this exact kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0134EW7G8 which is NOT overclocked, nor does it have the XMP Profile thing enabled. See below for more details, this is how I have My RAM set up atm:
  • (CPU is not overclocked, nor is the GPU)

image.thumb.png.5f1fed705c0819c2028a19fa172bb238.png

If anyone could please help Me troubleshoot this ongoing and tbh, rather depressing issue.., I would really appreciate it ❤️

If You also need any additional details, I will try My best to provide an answer! =)

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

We need to see the arguments of the BSOD crash (Think of them as sub-errors). If it already hangs on the BSOD screen (As you can't get dump files) then this step is not necessary, but if it reboots normally after a few seconds then go to this guide and on this screen remove the check for automatically restart. To restart manually, just use the power button.

To make the BSOD screen display the additional info on the BSOD screen we need to add a field to the registry. If you are not comfortable editing the registry then do not do this step. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl, right click on the empty area on the right section and select New → DWORD value with the name "DisplayParameters". Right click on it, modify and set the value data to 1 (Does not matter if you use Hexadecimal or Decimal). It should look like this once done. Reboot to apply the registry change.

The next time you BSOD, you should have these extra numbers in the top left corner. I want a picture of this.

EDIT: Note that this is only applicable to WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error BSODs. 

23 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

We need to see the arguments of the BSOD crash (Think of them as sub-errors). If it already hangs on the BSOD screen (As you can't get dump files) then this step is not necessary, but if it reboots normally after a few seconds then go to this guide and on this screen remove the check for automatically restart. To restart manually, just use the power button.

To make the BSOD screen display the additional info on the BSOD screen we need to add a field to the registry. If you are not comfortable editing the registry then do not do this step. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl, right click on the empty area on the right section and select New → DWORD value with the name "DisplayParameters". Right click on it, modify and set the value data to 1 (Does not matter if you use Hexadecimal or Decimal). It should look like this once done. Reboot to apply the registry change.

The next time you BSOD, you should have these extra numbers in the top left corner. I want a picture of this.

EDIT: Note that this is only applicable to WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error BSODs. 

I'm not 100% sure what You mean by arguments, could You explain in more detail?

This is what the BSOD looks like (See Image) which displays no argument(s) Afaik, just the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR error code / stop code.

I should note that when these BSODs / Crashes happen, here is how it happens:

I could be doing anything; whether it's playing a video-game, watching YouTube, literally anything, then the PC will freeze for 2-3 seconds, 3 of My 4 monitors go black, the BSOD appears on My primary monitor for about a split second (Sometimes 1-2 seconds if lucky, lol), and then the PC will restart and act normal until it decides to randomly BSOD / Crash again.

On that guide that You linked, The tenforums page, I have tried selecting Automatic/Complete/Active over the past few weeks, between now and October pretty much, and for some reason it still won't generate a Minidump in `C:\Windows\Minidump` which is pretty weird, 'eh.. anyway, as mentioned originally, the most recent one is from 25/01/2022 and there's another one from 08/08/2021.

I've also just done the DisplayParameters RegEdit thingy, I'm going to restart My PC now and try to replicate the BSOD if possible after having posted this comment

image.png

1 hour ago, Xiauj said:

I'm not 100% sure what You mean by arguments, could You explain in more detail?

It's what a the main parameters of a dump file is called. Arguments 1-4. 

1 hour ago, Xiauj said:

This is what the BSOD looks like (See Image) which displays no argument(s) Afaik, just the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR error code / stop code.

That's what the registry change adds. 

1 hour ago, Xiauj said:

On that guide that You linked, The tenforums page, I have tried selecting Automatic/Complete/Active over the past few weeks, between now and October pretty much, and for some reason it still won't generate a Minidump in `C:\Windows\Minidump` which is pretty weird, 'eh.. anyway, as mentioned originally, the most recent one is from 25/01/2022 and there's another one from 08/08/2021.

No, that's very common if the storage is faulty. Which the additional numbers will confirm/deny. It could be the M.2 port, but a faulty SSD is way more common. Windows has no idea if it's the port or SSD.  When it BSODs, it dumps the data to the page file, but if the drive has crashed, it can't write it. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Bjoolz Hey 😄 

So umm, My PC just BSOD'd for the first (and only) time since we last spoke here (Scroll up), ya know, the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR etc..-, anyway, I managed to grab a pic of the Display Parameters to try and determine what's causing the aforementioned BSOD(s); I've added a pic to this comment with said parameters.

(Once You've seen the pic), could You let Me know what's at fault and how I can fix it if possible?

Please & Thanks in advance 🙏

Edit:

This happened whilst loading a level (/'stage') in HITMAN 3 😬 It's weird though because, a few hours prior to writing this comment, I was playing HITMAN 3 and, well, it wasn't crashing/BSOD'ing then... so yeah I dunno what the F^$# is going on, lmao.

image.png.99f7376dd7bd3e3c06f0e11772096797.png

Edited by Xiauj
Additional details

4 hours ago, Xiauj said:

@Bjoolz Hey 😄 

So umm, My PC just BSOD'd for the first (and only) time since we last spoke here (Scroll up), ya know, the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR etc..-, anyway, I managed to grab a pic of the Display Parameters to try and determine what's causing the aforementioned BSOD(s); I've added a pic to this comment with said parameters.

(Once You've seen the pic), could You let Me know what's at fault and how I can fix it if possible?

Please & Thanks in advance 🙏

Edit:

This happened whilst loading a level (/'stage') in HITMAN 3 😬 It's weird though because, a few hours prior to writing this comment, I was playing HITMAN 3 and, well, it wasn't crashing/BSOD'ing then... so yeah I dunno what the F^$# is going on, lmao.

image.png.99f7376dd7bd3e3c06f0e11772096797.png

That is blaming the NVMe, but note that it can't tell the difference between the SSD and the slot/motherboard, but a faulty SSD is way more common. 

15 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

That is blaming the NVMe, but note that it can't tell the difference between the SSD and the slot/motherboard, but a faulty SSD is way more common. 

Can My NVMe Drive (M.2) still be at fault and/or dying even though software's such as CrystalDiskInfo say that it's "Good 92%" ..? 🤔

(If it is the M.2 (SSD) Drive, that is)

image.png

Edited by Xiauj

1 hour ago, Xiauj said:

Can My NVMe Drive (M.2) still be at fault and/or dying even though software's such as CrystalDiskInfo say that it's "Good 92%" ..? 🤔

image.png

All the smart info gives you is how many writes you have left. There are lots of other ways a drive can die aside from the NAND wearing out.

This would also explain why you’re not getting a minidump file created. The thing that is supposed to store the info is the thing that is the problem.

5 hours ago, Xiauj said:

image.png

As someone else said, the percentage is just how much of the warrantied writes you have left. The general info at the top has almost always been useless as it's up to the manufacturer how much it has to fail before the status changes. Modern SSDs have removed almost all of the parameters, the bottom half, that would tell if you if the drive was having issues. SMART is basically useless on modern SSDs.