PC start issue

Hello,

Every few days, I encounter an issue where my computer doesn't start as expected. To get it up and running, I have to perform a long 10+ second press of the power button, followed by a regular press. The exact cause of this problem eludes me. Here's my typical routine: each night, I properly shut down the computer from the Windows operating system and switch off the power outlet. In the morning, I turn on the power outlet switch and press the computer's power button to initiate the startup. It's worth noting that I don't disconnect the computer's power cord from the outlet.

I'm seeking your assistance to understand the root cause of this issue and determine whether it has any adverse effects on the computer's performance or components.

Here are the specifications of my computer:

• CPU: INTEL CORE I9-13900K
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E WIFI
  • RAM: XPG Lancer DDR5 32GB (2 X 16GB) 6000MHz CL40 Desktop RAM
  • CPU Cooler: Lia Li Galahad 360 AIO ARGB
  • Power Supply: EVGA SuperNova 1000 GT PSU
  • Storage: 1TB NVMe GEN 4 SSD - Kingston KC3000 + 2 extra SATA SSDs
  • Case Fans: Cooler Master SickelFlow ARGB Fans x3

Additionally, I have a mechanical keyboard connected via the rear USB port, which lights up as soon as I turn on the power outlet switch, but the computer itself doesn't respond when I press the power button.

I would greatly appreciate your insights and guidance on resolving this issue.

Does it matter how long you wait from when you turn on the power?

It sounds like the mobo isn’t properly initializing when it receives power the first time. The 10 second hold makes it hard reset, and then it’s ready to go.

Weird problem for sure. 

Try switching off the PSU with the switch in the back instead of the power strip. See if that still leads to the same behavior.

50 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Does it matter how long you wait from when you turn on the power?

This is my daily routine. I turn it off around midnight and turn it on in the morning around 10 am. And about holding the power button- yes, it matters. it should be more than 10 seconds and then a single firm press again.

52 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Try switching off the PSU with the switch in the back instead of the power strip. See if that still leads to the same behavior.

NO. Switching off the PSU doesn't work. But yes, if I disconnect the power cord from the main outlet and then connect again after 15+ seconds. it works. I believe it is related to static charge or ground issue with my electricity. I had read or heard somewhere that keeping the power button pressed for a few seconds, clears whatever current/power/electricity is stored there in the board circuits or PSU.

34 minutes ago, imdjay said:

This is my daily routine. I turn it off around midnight and turn it on in the morning around 10 am. And about holding the power button- yes, it matters. it should be more than 10 seconds and then a single firm press again.

NO. Switching off the PSU doesn't work. But yes, if I disconnect the power cord from the main outlet and then connect again after 15+ seconds. it works. I believe it is related to static charge or ground issue with my electricity. I had read or heard somewhere that keeping the power button pressed for a few seconds, clears whatever current/power/electricity is stored there in the board circuits or PSU.

What about turning the power strip on, then using the PSU switch to power cycle for 15 seconds (simulated unplug)?

if you have a multimeter you can check the wall plug. Across the hot wire and neutral wire you should read 120 or 240v depending on where you live. Across the neutral and ground should read zero. Across the hot and ground should read 120/240v.

Holding the power button down will force the capacitors to discharge when the power is switched off.

5 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

What about turning the power strip on, then using the PSU switch to power cycle for 15 seconds (simulated unplug)?

I had tried the same thing. it doesn't work.

5 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

if you have a multimeter you can check the wall plug. Across the hot wire and neutral wire you should read 120 or 240v depending on where you live. Across the neutral and ground should read zero. Across the hot and ground should read 120/240v.

This was correct when I had set it up 3 years back. Now not sure. But to tackle this, I am using a Smart Plug between the Computer plug and power strip which turns the power supply off when the power is less than 3w for 40 mins. But this also does not help.

12 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Holding the power button down will force the capacitors to discharge when the power is switched off.

But I do not disconnect the computer plug from the power strip or switch off it. I keep everything ON while keeping the power button pressed.