Erratic frametime when GPU load is high

Hi! I'm having some weird issues with frametime spikes creating judder in some games. 
Using X-Plane 11 as an example (although this has been observed in other demanding games). When my gpu usage is nearing 99% i notice the frametime becomes very erratic and spiking at a very short near-regular interval. This causes the feeling of stutter even at higher fps. This is forcing me to decrease all my settings until i'm able to consistently achieve 60fps and lock it using rtss or lock it to 30 fps, anything else creates those stutters.
I've searched the entire internet for what is causing this. I tested every possible combination of vsync and gsync but i'm at a loss. I have a new GPU coming in a few days and i hope that'll fix it but in case it doesn't, i need to find out what is doing this.

Gigabyte RTX 3060 OC 12GB

Fury 32GB DDR4 3600
Aorus Elite B550M
Ryzen 7 5800X3D

MV3GTFA.png

23 minutes ago, OLPhotos said:

Hi! I'm having some weird issues with frametime spikes creating judder in some games. 
Using X-Plane 11 as an example (although this has been observed in other demanding games). When my gpu usage is nearing 99% i notice the frametime becomes very erratic and spiking at a very short near-regular interval. This causes the feeling of stutter even at higher fps. This is forcing me to decrease all my settings until i'm able to consistently achieve 60fps and lock it using rtss or lock it to 30 fps, anything else creates those stutters.
I've searched the entire internet for what is causing this. I tested every possible combination of vsync and gsync but i'm at a loss. I have a new GPU coming in a few days and i hope that'll fix it but in case it doesn't, i need to find out what is doing this.

Gigabyte RTX 3060 OC 12GB

Fury 32GB DDR4 3600
Aorus Elite B550M
Ryzen 7 5800X3D

This is fairly common behavior, try using a frame cap just below the max fps you can achieve.

2 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

This is fairly common behavior, try using a frame cap just below the max fps you can achieve.

I tried doing that but every combination with the exception of 30 and 60 fps creates stutters, even if the frametime graph is completely straight

Sounds like you have the classic case of pushing your GPU to its limits.

Solution: Get a better GPU.

Cap your framerate/reduce in-game settings until it is at a framerate you like.

Jude 1:23

And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

3 hours ago, MidnightStars said:

Sounds like you have the classic case of pushing your GPU to its limits.

Solution: Get a better GPU.

Cap your framerate/reduce in-game settings until it is at a framerate you like.

Some games like Modern Warfare 2 run at 99% gpu and this doesn't happen. Instead, my fps just drops but it doesn't create these spikes nor the stutters. Why's that?

On 12/6/2023 at 6:47 AM, OLPhotos said:

Some games like Modern Warfare 2 run at 99% gpu and this doesn't happen. Instead, my fps just drops but it doesn't create these spikes nor the stutters. Why's that?

Counters do not run realtime. The "99%" usage, as well as the rest, are what happened mere moments ago, and are more or less, averages.

When Modern Warfare 2 runs at 99% with your setup, it has just enough headroom to continuously keep pumping out frames w/o spikes or stutters.

When the other games run, your GPU is hitting 100% here or there, where those spikes/stutters happen.

Now with X-Plane... it's X-Plane, there are quite a ton of variables at play for it, from various CPU settings that are enabled, to specific features in game 😵‍💫

Jude 1:23

And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.