I have a problem that I'm not sure what is the problem after I tried to connect a used laptop hdd to my pc for data transfer.

GinofFezzan
Go to solution Solved by Whatisthis,
2 hours ago, GinofFezzan said:

I should have done that probably, I'm not so sure about the leds but psu click noise was not coming when powering up(still happens when connected to the other pc. I'm not sure I should worry or not.

Clicking is a relay switching.

if it’s under warranty, you could try getting it replaced. A PSU failing usually takes out other components as well, so it’s not ideal.

So a relative of mine gave his used hdd to me for data transfer, I have connected to my pc through sata port. When I powered up my pc motherboard leds were on (I guess it was the cpu and dram) and computer didnt boot up so quickly turned of the pc removed the hdd. PC is working fine but when i power up cpu and dram leds are turned on and off in 2 secs and when the dram led turns off a click noise is coming from the psu i think. What do you guys think?

1 minute ago, jetnoodles said:

Try going into your bios and changing the boot order. The PC is probably trying to boot off of the hard drive.

I removed the the laptop hdd as soon as the problem occured. Also checked psu cables and bios boot order and all seems to be fine there too pc boots up normal just with clicks and leds turning on and off. This didnt happened before the hdd incident. Also tried reseting bios, still the same

59 minutes ago, GinofFezzan said:

I removed the the laptop hdd as soon as the problem occured. Also checked psu cables and bios boot order and all seems to be fine there too pc boots up normal just with clicks and leds turning on and off. This didnt happened before the hdd incident. Also tried reseting bios, still the same

Just to clarify.

Have you tried changing the boot order while the hard drive is plugged in?

26 minutes ago, jetnoodles said:

Just to clarify.

Have you tried changing the boot order while the hard drive is plugged in?

Pc was unresponsive when that hdd was plugged so no i didnt. I'm adding a video how pc boots up after i removed that hdd.

READ! THIS IS A IF YES, IF NOT PLEASE REPLY! Have you made any changes to the BIOS settings or hardware configuration before connecting the used HDD? If yes The issue you're experiencing could be due to several reasons.

1. Faulty Hard Drive: The used hard drive you received might be faulty or incompatible with your system. This could cause your computer to fail to boot when the drive is connected

2. Power Supply Unit (PSU) Issue: The clicking noise you're hearing from the PSU could be a sign of a problem. It might be that the PSU is turning on and off rapidly, which could be due to a fault in the PSU itself or an issue with the power being supplied to it

3. BIOS Configuration: Since you mentioned that you made changes to the BIOS settings before connecting the used HDD, it's possible that these changes are causing the issue. Incorrect BIOS settings can prevent a computer from booting properly

To troubleshoot the issue, you could try the following steps:

• Check the Hard Drive: Try connecting the hard drive to another computer to see if it works. If it doesn't, the drive is likely faulty.
  • Check the PSU: Listen for the clicking noise when the computer is turned on. If it persists, consider having the PSU checked by a professional or replacing it.
  • Reset BIOS Settings: If you made changes to the BIOS settings, consider resetting them to their default values. This can often be done by removing and reinserting the CMOS battery on the motherboard, or by using a jumper on the motherboard

3 hours ago, VemmyPcs said:

READ! THIS IS A IF YES, IF NOT PLEASE REPLY! Have you made any changes to the BIOS settings or hardware configuration before connecting the used HDD? If yes The issue you're experiencing could be due to several reasons.

1. Faulty Hard Drive: The used hard drive you received might be faulty or incompatible with your system. This could cause your computer to fail to boot when the drive is connected

2. Power Supply Unit (PSU) Issue: The clicking noise you're hearing from the PSU could be a sign of a problem. It might be that the PSU is turning on and off rapidly, which could be due to a fault in the PSU itself or an issue with the power being supplied to it

3. BIOS Configuration: Since you mentioned that you made changes to the BIOS settings before connecting the used HDD, it's possible that these changes are causing the issue. Incorrect BIOS settings can prevent a computer from booting properly

To troubleshoot the issue, you could try the following steps:

• Check the Hard Drive: Try connecting the hard drive to another computer to see if it works. If it doesn't, the drive is likely faulty.
  • Check the PSU: Listen for the clicking noise when the computer is turned on. If it persists, consider having the PSU checked by a professional or replacing it.
  • Reset BIOS Settings: If you made changes to the BIOS settings, consider resetting them to their default values. This can often be done by removing and reinserting the CMOS battery on the motherboard, or by using a jumper on the motherboard

I have already reset the bios, psu click is not persistant it's just click when pc is turned on and turned off. Check the video above

5 hours ago, Side said:

Check the motherboard manual for why such lights and sounds occur.

Cpu and dram leds light up on start and first cpu led then dram led turns off and the pc turns on with a click noise and works normal, my only concern is this didnt happen before I connected that laptop hdd( which is not connected now) some say that this click and the leds are OK which is part of the POST procedure.

Screenshot_20231127_235404_Drive.jpg

On 11/27/2023 at 2:08 AM, GinofFezzan said:

So a relative of mine gave his used hdd to me for data transfer, I have connected to my pc through sata port. When I powered up my pc motherboard leds were on (I guess it was the cpu and dram) and computer didnt boot up so quickly turned of the pc removed the hdd. PC is working fine but when i power up cpu and dram leds are turned on and off in 2 secs and when the dram led turns off a click noise is coming from the psu i think. What do you guys think?

UPDATE: I connected psu to a another pc, one click when powering up still happens but no debug led lights, I also tried another psu to my pc, that psu doesn't click but motherboard leds still blinks when powering up. Pc still works normal BTW.

The led going through red yellow white to green is normal. If it doesn’t display the white and green, it’s some weird motherboard bug. I wouldn’t worry about it if the system works fine otherwise.

It may be that it always did this but you didn’t notice before you added the HDD. 

Sata drives support hot plugging, so you can boot into windows and then connect the HDD (power first, then data). Make sure the bios option for hot plugging is enabled.

51 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

The led going through red yellow white to green is normal. If it doesn’t display the white and green, it’s some weird motherboard bug. I wouldn’t worry about it if the system works fine otherwise.

It may be that it always did this but you didn’t notice before you added the HDD. 

Sata drives support hot plugging, so you can boot into windows and then connect the HDD (power first, then data). Make sure the bios option for hot plugging is enabled.

I should have done that probably, I'm not so sure about the leds but psu click noise was not coming when powering up(still happens when connected to the other pc. I'm not sure I should worry or not.

2 hours ago, GinofFezzan said:

if it’s under warranty, you could try getting it replaced. A PSU failing usually takes out other components as well, so it’s not ideal.

38 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Corsair says it's OK but I'm still going to contact the retailer about this, hope motherboard led blinks are not that important. I will post about the psu situation. Thank you for your time and answer.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE : Sent psu to the warranty, completely new psu came and connected.

Still clicks on startup.

damn