Powering Peripherals...WITH RGB HEADER?

talldragon

I've got a somewhat complicated question, but I'll try to make it simple. First, the question, then the explanation.

THE QUESTION

Can I use the RGB header on my motherboard to power a peripheral which is NOT an RGB device?

THE EXPLANATION

I'm trying to figure out a way to recycle an Ipad 2 screen and use it as an internal monitor within my computer case. I want to use it as a cheap sensor screen and set it up like in Jayz2cents video when he buys a cheap monitor from Amazon. But instead of that monitor, I want to use the screen from an old IPad 2.

Now, a bit of research took me to a YouTube video where the man was able to take an IPad screen and use it as a second monitor. The only way to do that is with a driver board which is connected to the computer via HDMI. He powered it with an external, 12v AC adapter with a barrel connector.

I want to do the same, except I want to power it INSIDE THE COMPUTER CASE. Based on the driver board's specs, I have 2 options:

1. Power it directly from the computer's PSU. This will likely require a cable mod to go from a standard 2x2 PSU plug to a barrel connector.

2. Power it directly from the motherboard. The only way to do this as far as I can tell is through an RGB header. This will also likely require a cable mod.

BACK TO THE QUESTION

Is it possible to SAFELY use the RGB header to power the driver board - which would power the IPad screen - without worrying about pulling too much power and ruining the motherboard? Or are RGB headers specifically designed for the express purpose of RGB and nothing else?

Is there some other way - another connection on the motherboard? - I can power that driver board?

COMPUTER SPECS:

CPU                    Intel i9-10920x
CPU Cooler       Noctua NH-U12DX i4
Motherboard    ASUS ROG STRIX X299 e-gaming
RAM                  96GB DDR4 @3200MHz
SSD                  SanDisk Ultra 2TB
M.2                   Samsung 970 PRO NVME M.2
Video Card       EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Black Ed
Case                 Fractal Define R6 USB-C
Power               EVGA 850 G2
Monitor            BenQ SW240 24

According to the owners manual, there are 2 RGB headers rated for 12v, 3A.

DRIVER BOARD SPECS (which will power the ipad screen):

IPAD 2 LCD Dedicated driver board for screen model #'s LP097X02 AB0970003

Power requirements:
12v, 3A, <1W @ standby. 2.1/2.5 barrel connector?