Case to fit a 4090 and a 4k60 Pro Pci-e

SirVH

I'm looking for a case where I could fit a MSI RTX4090 + a 4k60 Pro Pci-e. My mother board is a TUF Gaming X570-Plus. When outside of the case, the only way I can have both cards in is by having the 4090 in the bottom slot.

So I need a case where I can fit the 4090 in the bottom slot and still have room for ventilation.

Edited by SirVH
Wrong capture card informed

26 minutes ago, SirVH said:

I'm looking for a case where I could fit a MSI RTX4090 + a HD60S. My mother board is a TUF Gaming X570-Plus. When outside of the case, the only way I can have both cards in is by having the 4090 in the bottom slot.

So I need a case where I can fit the 4090 in the bottom slot and still have room for ventilation.

I don't understand what you mean by "both cards", isn't the HD60S an external adapter?

The bottom slot is going to bottleneck a 4090 hugely given its only x4 off the chipset, you really needed a motherboard where the second slot is further away from the first or had a third chipset only slot also further away (and still need the 4090 in the top slot).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Putting a video card in the bottom slot usually means slower performance. Have you considered using a riser cable to connect the HD60S?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I don't understand what you mean by "both cards", isn't the HD60S an external adapter?

For whatever reason my mind was thinking on the HD60S, but i'ts actually a 4k60 pro PCIe. I fixed the title and first post.

The bottom slot is going to bottleneck a 4090 hugely given its only x4 off the chipset, you really needed a motherboard where the second slot is further away from the first or had a third chipset only slot also further away (and still need the 4090 in the top slot).

2 hours ago, alyen said:

Putting a video card in the bottom slot usually means slower performance. Have you considered using a riser cable to connect the HD60S?

From what I see from the manual, both slots (1 and 3) are PCIe 4.0 X16.

image.thumb.png.37436c64dcb04da4ef5124f0d01dffb0.png

3 hours ago, SirVH said:

For whatever reason my mind was thinking on the HD60S, but i'ts actually a 4k60 pro PCIe. I fixed the title and first post.

From what I see from the manual, both slots (1 and 3) are PCIe 4.0 X16.

image.thumb.png.37436c64dcb04da4ef5124f0d01dffb0.png

Sadly not, pretty sure no X570 motherboard does that as there aren't enough lanes from the CPU.

First slot:

3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors
1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (x16 mode)

2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 mode)

2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x8 mode)

Second slot:

AMD X570 chipset
1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (max at x4 mode)
2 x PCIe 4.0 x1

I have the X570-F and even there the top two slots are x8 if both are used with the bottom off the chipset.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Sadly not, pretty sure no X570 motherboard does that as there aren't enough lanes from the CPU.

First slot:

3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors
1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (x16 mode)

2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 mode)

2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors
1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x8 mode)

Second slot:

AMD X570 chipset
1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (max at x4 mode)
2 x PCIe 4.0 x1

I have the X570-F and even there the top two slots are x8 if both are used with the bottom off the chipset.

Hmmm, never heard about "x4 mode", then I made a quick research and you're absolutely right.

I guess that means I will need to get a new motherboard, as I could not use a riser cable, it won't fit... do you have any suggestions for motherboards?

13 hours ago, SirVH said:

Hmmm, never heard about "x4 mode", then I made a quick research and you're absolutely right.

I guess that means I will need to get a new motherboard, as I could not use a riser cable, it won't fit... do you have any suggestions for motherboards?

Have you tried using the HD60S in a X1 slot? To see if the speed was fast enough?

Is leaving the case open a option when you are streaming/recording?

Are you using a front mesh case or one that can push enough air towards the GPU?

Have you tried making your own custom fan profiles for the graphics card or computer case?

Looking for another board could be expensive if you want PCIe 4.0, because the typical boards still have the same problem. You may see a lot of motherboards that looks like they have X16, but they don't have a full set of contact pins on all of the slots. I notice Gigabyte does this a lot so you will have to check every manual to confirm it yourself.

I have a system with 2 video cards that squeezed together i use for Blender rendering. The graphics card on top gets hotter, but temperatures are still satisfactory but I have 4 fans in the front of the case push air across the case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

1 hour ago, alyen said:

Have you tried using the HD60S in a X1 slot? To see if the speed was fast enough?

Is leaving the case open a option when you are streaming/recording?

Are you using a front mesh case or one that can push enough air towards the GPU?

Have you tried making your own custom fan profiles for the graphics card or computer case?

Looking for another board could be expensive if you want PCIe 4.0, because the typical boards still have the same problem. You may see a lot of motherboards that looks like they have X16, but they don't have a full set of contact pins on all of the slots. I notice Gigabyte does this a lot so you will have to check every manual to confirm it yourself.

I have a system with 2 video cards that squeezed together i use for Blender rendering. The graphics card on top gets hotter, but temperatures are still satisfactory but I have 4 fans in the front of the case push air across the case.

Other boards have the same limitation BUT the x4 slot is right at the edge of the board so should fit the 4k60 Pro.

eg the ASUS X570-F

h525

I wouldn't necessarily go for this specific board though as unless its been revised, its the early version with a fan on the chipset which I worry about its life span.