Can't create hotspot from Nobara using Archer T6E AC1300

EDIT [09-Dec-2023]: If you also have a TP Link Archer T6E AC1300 card with BCM4360 chip, TL;DR: the broadcom-wl driver doesn't support AP mode. As of writing this, it's been about a week now since I reached out to the TP Link support using their Email Support form. There was no response from them yet, so I don't think they're gonna work on this in future.

Hi all,

I'm using Nobara 38 with KDE and I have the Archer T6E AC1300 wifi card. I'm dual booting Windows 10 and Nobara from physically separate drives, they don't have any common partitions or drives either.

The distro didn't seem to have any drivers installed for the card, so I followed various forum posts and installed the braodcom-wl drivers for the wifi card using dnf. I ran the command lspci -nn -d 14e4: and got the following output--

04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:43a0] (rev 03)

My wifi card seems to be able to connect to my router and hotspots from my phones, but fails to create a hotspot from the PC. I'm not using any terminal commands to create hotpspot, I'm clicking on the Hotspot button in the Network system tray menu. Everytime I get the notifications shown below when it fails--

failure-to-create-hotspot-in-nobara-38-v0-7ajd2xcdyiyb1.webp.b06ef0bd7f17c9c5b755461f172ab106.webp

failure-to-create-hotspot-in-nobara-38-v0-0o69812gyiyb1.webp.d75b673dce2aa61e1c68480d96ddf962.webp

I have even tried creating a Wifi (shared) network manually from the Connectivity page of KDE Settings. It also gives the same mesasge.

PC Specifications:-

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 8GB GDDR6
  • Motherboard: ASrock B450M Pro 4
  • RAM: 2x8 GB 3600 MHz running at 3200 MHz
  • Storage: 1 TB NVMe m.2, 1 TB SATA 3 6 GB/s m.2, 1 TB SATA 3 6 GB/s 2.5'
  • Power: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold

Please help fix this problem, or understand why it's happening.

Thanks.

Nobara is based on Fedora. How do I install in Fedora? I don't see any instructions for Fedora in the GitHub page. I also can't find anything using dnf.

IT says the Fedora instructions right there. Also not sure about the DNF but quick google....

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/dnf/

says it should be part of the system already..

On 11/17/2023 at 10:54 PM, tukykarmakar said:

Nobara is based on Fedora. How do I install in Fedora? I don't see any instructions for Fedora in the GitHub page. I also can't find anything using dnf.

2023-11-19 00_29_07-${}.png

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

The instructions were to build the whole thing and then install in Fedora. I did that and ran the wihotspot command for the GUI. First I got error about it failing and suggesting to try the no-virt mode. So I checked the No Virt box from the UI and now I keep getting this message in the terminal

pkexec --user root create_ap wlp4s0 enp5s0 'Blacksite' '12345678' --mkconfig /etc/create_ap.conf --no-virt  
Config options written to '/etc/create_ap.conf'

Error: Failed to run hostapd, maybe a program is interfering.
If an error like 'n80211: Could not configure driver mode' was thrown
try running the following before starting create_ap:
    nmcli r wifi off
    rfkill unblock wlan
Command not found or exited with error status