GPU upgrade suggestions!

Tadziunia

Hey guys, SORRY FOR MY CHUNK OF TEXT HERE, straight away i can tell i have 3080 10gb undervolted for almost 3 years now, changed pads 2,5years ago because of overheating memory(i didn't mine, but gaming performance would drop because of that), and recently repasted card again, because thermal grizzly ain't that good as everybody told. However in the april for my birthday i bought myself 4090 suprim x, however my happiness wast long because it had faulty heatsink and whimpering fan, so i had that card bought for 1900eur (Yeah in europe prices are sick + TAX) I Brought it to RMA and it was there for a month and no fix, they offered me refurbished gigabyte 4090 waterforce, but i declined, didn't want to have another gigabyte since i have 3080 gaming oc which had all kinds of problems. So i got refund for 4090 and then i decided to wait, thought maybe 4080 ti or 4090 Ti would be released by this time, or thought that maybe next year there will be 50 series cards, but it seems its postponed to 2025. Main reason i wanted to upgrade was lack of vram, couldn't play re4 remaster without turning vram  to low, because once it hit 10gb game would crash, also stuttering in modern warfare games having dropping textures atleast to normal and even then it would hit limits or not load some stuff at all. So now i am looking at 7900 xtx, i chose this card for my cousin and he had no problem with it, gpu gets constantly updated performance increases and that gpu now cost here 1070eur while 4090 went up in price and now goes for 2k+ eur. It twice as expensive however it ain't twice as fast + I don't care about raytracing, couldn't really enjoy it with 3080 when it would hit vram limit even faster and final performance even with dlss at 3440x1440 resolution would be barely playable anyway, i know for a fact 7900 xtx can do raytracing at level of 3090, while in raster its faster than 4080 and in game like call of duty its faster or on par with 4090 while costi 2x less. So my final question should i get AMD card, or is there any reason waiting next year? Considering features, now AMD has frame generation too and you can basically turn it on in control panel for any game, while there is no equivalent at nvidia side at all, forcing to get 40 series cards and even then only few games have that. Even 6800 xt is nowadays faster in newer tittles and atleast can handle simplest texture setting, while 3080 is not. Really wanted AMD card but back then non was available. What do you think guys ? is there any reason not to get it. Money isn't problem, however paying twice more for not so much benefit is stuff. Give me your opinion, THANKS IN ADVANCE!

TL DR: Gigabyte 3080 had issues and upgraded to a 4090 that also had issues and store wanted to exchange for a Gigabyte 4090 and refused after past experience. Now looking into a 7900XTX and wondering if it's worth it especially due to RTX 4090 prices increasing. Don't care about raytracing and is still a fast card. What are your thoughts???

There isn't anything wrong gaming with an AMD card and I've been pretty happy with my AMD Radeon  RX 6900XT. Honestly, they aren't a bad option like the 7900XTX, except for the 7900XT where you can grab a 6950XT for nearly identical performance for less money. This is the only thing that sucks with AMD's high end options as they have never been good enough to compete Nvidia's 90 series cards except for last generation (6900/6950XT vs 3090). Since you don't care about RT performance, then I'd go for an AMD card. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

28 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

i know for a fact 7900 xtx can do raytracing at level of 3090

That's a little bit generous, the 7900XTX is more in line with a little less than a 3080 at its raw RT power if you look at it in depth.

But other than that, I would just get another 4090 if I had the money, hell I would've taken the Gigabyte replacement and wouldn't have thought about it too much. Waiting for next releases is not something I like to do. My second choice would be a 4080 and not a 7900XTX. Being forced to use FSR means having no upscaler at all to me. Not having DLSS is kind of a deal breaker for me these days specially with the new updates. also the 4080 is a lot more efficient and doesn't idle at 100w if you have more than one monitor. I don't like spending in the 1k price range for a GPU and still have to turn some graphical options off.

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

TL DR: Gigabyte 3080 had issues and upgraded to a 4090 that also had issues and store wanted to exchange for a Gigabyte 4090 and refused after past experience. Now looking into a 7900XTX and wondering if it's worth it especially due to RTX 4090 prices increasing. Don't care about raytracing and is still a fast card. What are your thoughts???

There isn't anything wrong gaming with an AMD card and I've been pretty happy with my AMD Radeon  RX 6900XT. Honestly, they aren't a bad option like the 7900XTX, except for the 7900XT where you can grab a 6950XT for nearly identical performance for less money. This is the only thing that sucks with AMD's high end options as they have never been good enough to compete Nvidia's 90 series cards except for last generation (6900/6950XT vs 3090). Since you don't care about RT performance, then I'd go for an AMD card. 

i tasted how it feels to have 4090 and you know what, considering AMD has better cpu usage overhead and nvidia doesn't in call of duty 7950x tuned with 6000mhz cl30+buildzoid timings was bottlenecking 4090 and i didn't even see any gain in fps from 3080 using competetive settings, while cousin with 7900 xtx and same zen 4 cpu had fart better fps. So yeah where i wanted i didn't really see gain from 4090... 

2 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

That's a little bit generous, the 7900XTX is more in line with a little less than a 3080 at its raw RT power in depth.

But other than that, I would just get another 4090 if I had the money, hell I would've taken the Gigabyte replacement and wouldn't have thought about it too much. Waiting for next releases is not something I like to do. My second choice would be a 4080 and not a 7900XTX. Being forced to use FSR means having no upscaler at all to me. Not having DLSS is kind of a deal breaker for me these days specially with the new updates. also the 4080 is a lot more efficient and doesn't idle at 100w if you have more than one monitor. I don't like spending in the 1k price range for a GPU and still have to turn some graphical options off.

i would get 4090 again if only price was more sensible, i didn't want gigabyte waterforce because i don't really want or like AIO liquid coolers, just tons of unnecesery space will be used. As 3080 user now, i had no problem using FSR at higher resolution, i played Dying light 2 for 100fps+ and finished that game using FSR instead of DLSS, + with no raytracing. There is so issue in that game maybe, if i used raytracing or even just DLSS, in 30minutes of gameplay, gpu usage would start to drop from 99% to 90% than to 80% and it kept decreasing, i had to restart game every hour, while with just high settings and FSR usage stayed at 99% for 10h game seasion and image didn't seem to differ from DLSS much, 4080 is no go too expensive still goes for 1.3k+ and is already with bare minimum vram capacity. Its not bad card, however Nvidia is greedy bastard with that pricing.