Windows 10 without pin or password

Rimeus

Hi there

I want to factory reset my laptop, with this also reinstall windows 10.
Problem is that I had it the way it doesn't need a pin or password, but I don't remember how I set it to that (without needing to download some random program).
On this laptop I'm also logged in to my Microsoft account (I don't know if I did this after the instal or during).

Thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, Rimeus said:

Problem is that I had it the way it doesn't need a pin or password, but I don't remember how I set it to that (without needing to download some random program).

Are you saying that the factory setting was that it DIDN'T have a password, but you set it so that there is one?

Is it a password for Windows or the BIOS?

15 minutes ago, Rimeus said:

Problem is that I had it the way it doesn't need a pin or password, but I don't remember how I set it to that

IIRC, I believe from the start menu you can just run netplwiz, and uncheck the box that says users must enter a password to login. (I think that still works on Windows 10)

10 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

IIRC, I believe from the start menu you can just run netplwiz, and uncheck the box that says users must enter a password to login. (I think that still works on Windows 10)

This appears to add an account to the login screen (outside of my admin account, which still needs a password)

10 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Are you saying that the factory setting was that it DIDN'T have a password, but you set it so that there is one?

Is it a password for Windows or the BIOS?

Sorry, I don't know. Its the password for Windows. What I mean is when you start your computer you go to the login screen that asks you to enter your pin/password which Windows 10 promps you to make when installing the OS (requires Microsoft account or offline account)

1 hour ago, Rimeus said:

which Windows 10 promps you to make when installing the OS

Actually you don't have to put a password.

Reinstall Windows 10 and when it asks you to put a password just don't enter anything and set that as the password.

They are 3 ways to do this for Windows 10

1. Create a local account and don't enter a password when asked.
  2. For Windows 10/11 and that is to use a MS linked account, and use Windows Hello facial recognition (this is more for laptops, or desktops with a compatible webcam like the Logitech BRIO 4K camera)
  3. This one works with Windows 11 as well, and that is to use a MS linked account as normal and use Microsoft's very own utility called "Autologon" to auto-login for you: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autologon. The utility doesn't need to be installed or running on the back once setup. It simply configures Windows hidden account part to basically starts with your password entered in the field, and auto login for you the moment it gets to the login screen (everything is encrypted, but not a strong encryption and can be retrieved if someone has physical access to the system. Best to use for a home desktop computer. Use Windows Hello for laptops, in the case the laptop is stolen). Your experience will look very similarly as if you had no password on the system when you start it up.