What CD/DVD burner/reader Is good

the_gremlinn
Go to solution Solved by TheLANguy,
1 hour ago, the_gremlinn said:

So I just checked thingaverse and there are several cages to hold a internal reader like this externally, so I have a couple questions you might or might not know the answer to. Is there a negative to running something like this externally, similar to running running a hard drive externally? And what is the reliability like, have you used one

There is no negatives to running it externally unlike a HDD. 

I have used a few before and they are reliable (had one in my bag for months). And it works great with MakeMKV. Since they are one of the top options, you can easily find support online.

I am a physical media fan, and because of this I have a somewhat large collection of CD's and DVD's. I am also a Zoomer though, and the only device I have that can actually play DVD's is my Xbox that is hooked up to the family room tv. So I would like to watch my media on my phone or pc. I don't have a home server but My desktop could totally run a small plex server for myself. What CD/DVD reader/burner is good. I want mine to last for a while, because I plan on collecting more media, plus I don't know how to privateer stuff from the internet. I looked on amazon but they all look janky, and my sister got one that immediately ate her DVD,  and I would prefer for that not to happen to any of my DVD's. I wouldn't mind spending around 60 bucks. Read and write is important because reasons.

Sorry Mods if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move if necessary.

TLDR: What CD/DVD burner/reader is quality, and wont damage my media

There are plenty of external DVD drive/bruner out there.

Asus/ Hitachi-LG or brands like Verbatim Lite-on are all decent.

You might well splurge a little to get a Blu-ray burner which usually able to burn DVD and CD too (check specification)

And most of them have a emergency release "hole" which you can push using a paper clip to eject the disc without powering the drive on.

My case does not have a 5 1/4 drive bay, so i would prefer a external reader, but if they make external cages for these I would totally run one. sorry should have specified. Also does this have playback support? because if so it would make my desk more functional

45 minutes ago, TheLANguy said:

If you are going for a non-external DVD drive/burner, this LG drive is a solid and popular option. It fits your budget and has support for blu-ray.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VPGL5U?ie=UTF8&th=1

Also you can "upgrade" it to read 4k: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jho_lc7OS9Y

So I just checked thingaverse and there are several cages to hold a internal reader like this externally, so I have a couple questions you might or might not know the answer to. Is there a negative to running something like this externally, similar to running running a hard drive externally? And what is the reliability like, have you used one

1 hour ago, the_gremlinn said:

There is no negatives to running it externally unlike a HDD. 

I have used a few before and they are reliable (had one in my bag for months). And it works great with MakeMKV. Since they are one of the top options, you can easily find support online.

awesome thanks I will pick one of these up, they are significantly cheaper than the external ones with the same feature set. Plus I will be able to watch dvds at my computer!