PC Power Button - need key to power on PC

Chungus2332

Diagram.thumb.png.efc52c35c2b135e9da3d0c1ce7863f88.pngwould this work?

My idea is to have to turn  the key to then push a button to start the PC

Yes an ignition switch is just a "switch", so your power button won't function until the key switch completes the circuit. 

You would basically just be using the key switch to break / connect  the power button wire. 

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

Yes an ignition switch is just a "switch", so your power button won't function until the key switch completes the circuit. 

You would basically just be using the key switch to break the power button wire. 

so i would only be able to turn on my pc if the key is switched to on?

I use something like this.  For a few of my projects, that I've found at a local Napa. It was in a Napa branded package, but it looks very similar.

1 minute ago, Chungus2332 said:

Not the way it is drawn. You would still need to hit the power button.  Do you want it to turn on with the key? 

3 minutes ago, Chungus2332 said:

Technically yes but bypassing that by shorting the pins on the mobo is super easy

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

I use something like this.  For a few of my projects, that I've found at a local Napa. It was in a Napa branded package, but it looks very similar.

Not the way it is drawn. You would still need to hit the power button.  Do you want it to turn on with the key? 

no i want it so that i have to put the key in and turn it before the button work

if it make sense

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Technically yes but bypassing that by shorting the pins on the mobo is super easy

how?

33 minutes ago, Chungus2332 said:

how?

Just make contact between the 2 power pins on the mobo, the one that the power button short 😛 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, Chungus2332 said:

no i want it so that i have to put the key in and turn it before the button work

if it make sense

Then you can do that, but as mentioned, someone with physical access could still turn on the PC if they really wanted to, if they opened up the PC.  Just like someone with access to a car can steal it without keys if they really want to.

As mentioned your diagram will work, you just break one of the power button wires with the key switch. You can use your existing power switch in your PC if you want. 

They make kits for electronic code locks even if you wanted to get fancier, but that would make things a little more complicated.

There are PC locks you can find online that do what you want. Keep in mind that standard locks can be picked in less than 30 seconds. The best locks are very difficult for all but very skilled pickers like the Lock-Picking Lawyer, Deviant Ollam and their friends in YT.

My house key dropped off my ring yesterday and, using a paperclip and the weak ring straightened out, I was able to pick it by raking in less than 10 minutes, even though I'm not a lockpicker. With an actual rake, it would've been less than a minute because my lock sucks. 

As pointed out, access to the inside of your PC will allow anyone with knowledge of pin-jumping to start your machine. You can buy a case lock, too, but it's still pickable. Better off finding a device that prevents jumping inside the case, or maybe somethingsuch as a great Australian car invention that Scotty Kilmer showcased on his YT channel recently. Locks are better than nothing, though, so get a power button lock and a case lock at least. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂