Man creates a way to bring yourself into a virtual world with Oculus

BeardedCatZombie

Oliver Kreylos by using an Oculus Rift and 3 kinects has created a way to put your own body into a virtual world making it more realistic when using Oculus because when you look down you see your own body. I am really excited about this kind of improvisation, this is a starting point to eventually have an fully immersive experience. Even though as you can see in the video the quality is kinda terrible the possibility for growth from this is great!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/oculus-rift-3d-body-tracking,26778.html

http://mobile.extremetech.com/latest/221403-oculus-rift-three-kinects-effectively-bring-an-entire-human-body-into-a-virtual-world

The question now is: Can I bring my chickens along as well?

What's the point of VR if you can't use it with your chickens? Haha

That is pretty awesome IMO. Doing things that way would probably be a pain to setup, but if you use the second generation Kinect (or perhaps more specialized hardware in the future) it might be possible to get a much nicer view of yourself, or if the skeleton tracking is improved to acceptable latency you could use an "avatar" of some sort; combine that with FaceRig to get more useful facial animations and it could end up being a very immersive way of communicating.

Still quite a distance from real VR, but having the visual portion and inserting a real-time 3D model that moves with you... we've made a lot of progress in the last few years.

That is pretty awesome IMO. Doing things that way would probably be a pain to setup, but if you use the second generation Kinect (or perhaps more specialized hardware in the future) it might be possible to get a much nicer view of yourself, or if the skeleton tracking is improved to acceptable latency you could use an "avatar" of some sort; combine that with FaceRig to get more useful facial animations and it could end up being a very immersive way of communicating.

Still quite a distance from real VR, but having the visual portion and inserting a real-time 3D model that moves with you... we've made a lot of progress in the last few years.

Yeah I totally agree with you, VR's future looks pretty bright right now!