MP4 encoding file-sizes, wtf? Please help me through this enigma.

Delicieuxz

I'm using Wondeshare Filmora with H.264 encoder, and I want to edit a video to make a clip, and then export it. When I do that while keeping the quality same as the original, the original file size of the longer video is 12 MB, while the much-shorter version I exported is 60 MB. So, lowering the resolution and bitrate will lower the file-size. I do that, and it's looking far worse than the original while still being twice the file-size.

If I upload the 60 MB exported clip to Facebook or Twitter, those sites do their own formatting of the clip, and they also convert the 1080p clip into 720p. If I then download the clip from where I uploaded it to Facebook or Twitter, the Facebook clip looks great and is 3.06 MB, while the Twitter clip is slightly worse-looking than the Facebook clip and is 2.61 MB. If I try to generally match the Facebook or Twitter clip quality in Wondershare Filmora, the exported clip is double the file-size, while still looking worse.

What do I gotta do to get the quality of Facebook or Twitter's recompression, while also getting the same file size?

Here are the export variables available to configure in Filmora.

WondershareFilmorasettings-2023-09-11164342.jpg.433864181ee631923a30ac5ebb09d2a4.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987