Time (for me) to move to Windows 11?

Issac Zachary

According to CyberCPU Tech's video Windows 11 23H2 will have the main feature why I went back to Windows 10 that I call:

The SHOW THY LABELS AND COMBINE THEM NOT feature.

Other than that downgrade, I didn't really see Windows 11 as being any better or worse than Windows 10 for me. Well, except the slower speeds on my Pentium Gold Surface Go 2 and the different gestures (i.e. trying to change apps now opens the disliked widget menu).

But now they're going to bring back the SHOW THY LABELS AND COMBINE THEM NOT feature back and also include RAR file extraction. Is this really true?

Anywho, I'm thinking of upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on my desktop now (12th gen Core i5, 8gb RAM)

But I'm on the fence. Any thoughts? Is changing just for native RAR file support and maybe Android app support worth it? Would I need more RAM?

I'm kind of thinking of going back to Windows 11 on the Surface Go 2 too (Pentium Gold 4425Y, 8GB RAM), but am not liking the idea because it felt slower with Windows 11. Any thoughts? Just leave it for now?

37 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

According to CyberCPU Tech's video Windows 11 23H2 will have the main feature why I went back to Windows 10 that I call:

Other than that downgrade, I didn't really see Windows 11 as being any better or worse than Windows 10 for me. Well, except the slower speeds on my Pentium Gold Surface Go 2 and the different gestures (i.e. trying to change apps now opens the disliked widget menu).

But now they're going to bring back the SHOW THY LABELS AND COMBINE THEM NOT feature back and also include RAR file extraction. Is this really true?

Anywho, I'm thinking of upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on my desktop now (12th gen Core i5, 8gb RAM)

But I'm on the fence. Any thoughts? Is changing just for native RAR file support and maybe Android app support worth it? Would I need more RAM?

I'm kind of thinking of going back to Windows 11 on the Surface Go 2 too (Pentium Gold 4425Y, 8GB RAM), but am not liking the idea because it felt slower with Windows 11. Any thoughts? Just leave it for now?

In my opinion you only need W11 if you want to use the latest gen Intel processors with P and E cores efficiently, though they now work on W10 as well. Why the rar thing, use winrar or better 7-zip for that. I wouldn't call it a feature. I'd be more upset that they are removing Wordpad from both versions. W11 uses quite a bit more resources too. Is it worth updating, that is up to you. I am not unless I have to. If you rock the latest 13th gen Intel processor or Zen 4 from AMD, W11 might be the right choice for you. Why even bother running it on an older platform like that?

56 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

I've used Win11pro on both my main machine at home and my main machine at work. 

It's really not that different or a problem. I wouldn't say there's any reason why I'd choose one or the other at this point. I just default to any machine that can run Win11pro will run it, simply because it'll help me figure out which machines I need to replace. I've had 'tech illiterate' retirement age coworkers who I forced Win11 on and they haven't complained, so usability wise, there's nothing preventing even the most problematic users from swapping.

Outside of a slightly more MacOS look and rounded corners, its practically the same. Some things on the pro user side can be annoying, like some menus you have to fight with it to use the Control Panel way of getting to it, some are now exclusively using the Settings menu.

Regarding system specs and usage, if its running the latest Win10 update, it really won't be much different than the latest Win11 update.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

Thanks @Applefreak and @Agall! I'll keep those points in mind as I ponder over this. I guess another question or observation is that I haven't had it ask me to update to Windows 11 recently, so I guess I'll have to wait for it to do so again (?)

Anywho, Windows 10 is fine. The only problem I see with Windows 10 is, although I prefer the tablet mode in many ways on the Surface Go 2, it also bugs out with certain apps that change windows, since in tablet mode it goes back to the start screen when that happens. Since Windows 11 doesn't really have a true tablet mode (it kind of optimizes for a tablet, or so it did when I had it running on the Surface) it doesn't jump out of the app to a start screen just because it went into full screen mode or something.

12 minutes ago, Issac Zachary said:

Thanks @Applefreak and @Agall! I'll keep those points in mind as I ponder over this. I guess another question or observation is that I haven't had it ask me to update to Windows 11 recently, so I guess I'll have to wait for it to do so again (?)

Anywho, Windows 10 is fine. The only problem I see with Windows 10 is, although I prefer the tablet mode in many ways on the Surface Go 2, it also bugs out with certain apps that change windows, since in tablet mode it goes back to the start screen when that happens. Since Windows 11 doesn't really have a true tablet mode (it kind of optimizes for a tablet, or so it did when I had it running on the Surface) it doesn't jump out of the app to a start screen just because it went into full screen mode or something.

If you click 'optional updates' or such, you might find it there.

TBH I haven't regularly used any Windows tablets personally since a Surface 3 that I gave to my father like 4 years ago after using it for several years. Before that, I regularly used them in the Win8/10 days.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

26 minutes ago, Agall said:

If you click 'optional updates' or such, you might find it there.

TBH I haven't regularly used any Windows tablets personally since a Surface 3 that I gave to my father like 4 years ago after using it for several years. Before that, I regularly used them in the Win8/10 days.

Thanks! I think I found it to the right side on the Windows Update page in settings.

My first Windows tablet was a Surface 3. Then I got the Surface Go 1, which Microsoft "repaired" but sent me a Surface Go 2 instead. I must say that I do like them with the exception of the type cover. I've gone through more type covers than I care to mention. One came dead on arrival, brand new directly from Microsoft. I also had serious problems with the type cover port on the table itself, which is why I had to send it in to get it repaired. It cost me nearly the same price as the tablet was new, although I did end up with a Surface Go 2. I also hate how the stylus tips keep breaking and Microsoft only sells a kit of 3 different kinds so I end up throwing away two just to get one tip for the cost of three. And the cheap eBay and Amazon stylus tips don't last a day.

I don't know what tablet I'll get next as I do use my tablet a lot. Maybe a two-in-one of some sort. Hopefully Framework will make a two-in-one. Otherwise I guess I'll get a Framework laptop and, I don't know, maybe an iPad, or maybe an Eyemoo.

• 8 months later...

Well, now I'm thinking of going back to Windows 10 for the second time.

I had a microphone issue on my Surface Go 2, and to fix it I ended up restoring Windows, which deleted the Android Subsystem. The Android Subsystem was the only big reason I just kept using Windows 11 as there is just one app available on the Amazon App Store that I was using daily that doesn't have a Windows equivalent of any kind. But now I can't find the Android Subsystem in the Windows Store anymore now that they have planned to remove support for it by next year.

Windows 11 seems to slow down my tablet more than Windows 10 did. I also find the menu systems more confusing on Windows 11. I also miss the start menu icons of Windows 10. And maybe not a Windows 11 thing, but I feel like Microsoft is pushing more ads since I've switched to Windows 11.

Since I recently reinstalled Windows 11 which wiped out all my apps, now would be the time for me to switch back to Windows 10 before I get all my apps and documents all downloaded and installed again.