(URGENT) Cannot update Windows 10 on a clean reinstall

AXLPLaZEReD
Go to solution Solved by AXLPLaZEReD,

I fixed it.

BIOS update.

My friend upgraded to a Ryzen 5 1600 (from Ryzen 3 2200G, the bios is slightly updated, not the initial one clearly), installing Win10 and updating it with Update Assistant worked without any issues, when he had his 2200G and Vega8.

I had to reinstall the OS to make the PC work with the 1600 (It didn't want to boot with the 1600, OS hated it).

Reinstalling went fine, CPU works (I tried it in my PC also, everything is fine, my mobo is a X370), but problems come in with updating.

I downloaded the Update Assistant, let it do it's thing, clicked Restart Now, and when it restarted.. Windows wasn't updated.

I tried doing a reinstall AGAIN, the problem still exists. Now one problem is, I don't know if I did a clean reinstall properly. I formatted the C drive (and it's side recovery things) in the Windows install menu, idk if it's a full clean reinstall or not.

I tried the install media (My USB with Windows 10 setup) on 3 different drives at home, they all installed and updated via Update Assistant, so the install media is ruled out.

Friends mobo in question is; Biostar A320M-H (Pro?)

Update from what version to what version?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

Are you trying to upgrade to Windows 11? 🤔

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Ryzen 1000 doesn't Windows 11

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

Just realised I forgot to include those crucial things lol I apologize

Updating from Win10 1505 to Win10 22H2

Doing that worked fine on 2 different SSDs of mine and 1 HDD, on multiple different CPUs too (Xeon X5650, i3 540, Sempron)

1 minute ago, mMontana said:

Ryzen 1000 doesn't Windows 11

Read my newest reply, I forgot to say it's Win10

Why do not directly install Windows 10 22H2?

Windows 1507 is seven eight years old to say the least.

Just now, mMontana said:

Why do not directly install Windows 22H2?

Windows 1506 is seven years old to say the least.

I do not have the product key for it.

I got the Win10 install media from a computer service many years ago, it comes with pre-activated Win10.

Why does it matter though, I asked for help on 1 matter, meaning I need help with THAT, I do not need unnecessary information I already know.

Download the latest Win10 ISO, mount it and do a repair install/upgrade.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Quite sure the version doesn't matter as it's only his PC that won't work properly, with the Ryzen 5 1600 atleast.

Installed and updated fine with 2200G

Several updates destroyed key activation workaround appeared during the years.

Others prevented install of software that might defuse the activation procedures.

This is what i personally saw during my experience, but might not be the case or your installer.

However.

I don't know, according to bios comments from Biostar

https://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=912#download

if any of these bios was necessary to improve compatibility or solve issues appeared with Windows 10 during the mobo history.

Might or might not be useful for this case.

If it's a different computer, anyway a license could be bought, ESD ones for Windows 10 might be found for cheap.

1 minute ago, AXLPLaZEReD said:

Is that doable with no product key?

it is

6 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Several updates destroyed key activation workaround appeared during the years.

Others prevented install of software that might defuse the activation procedures.

This is what i personally saw during my experience, but might not be the case or your installer.

However.

I don't know, according to bios comments from Biostar

https://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=912#download

if any of these bios was necessary to improve compatibility or solve issues appeared with Windows 10 during the mobo history.

Might or might not be useful for this case.

If it's a different computer, anyway a license could be bought, ESD ones for Windows 10 might be found for cheap.

I will try BIOS update as last resort, but thing that I do not understand is, how did it work the first time when he got the SSD?

He used a 2200G then.

Also yes I know they can be found cheap but money right now is very tight, thanks to our poopers country.

I will try the ISO repair though, most likely tomorrow. I will update on the news.

Any other options/causes?

Did I do a clean reinstall properly? (Format the whole drive in Win 10 install screen)

I'm 100% sure the install media is fine, works on my PCs, worked on his 2200G.

I'm more and more starting to believe it's something about the awful motherboard being awful.

Motherboard is not the shinest piece of electronic in the world... is a cheap consumer mainboard. However... you could also doublecheck with a Live linux usb boot drive.

Motherboard is not the shinest piece of electronic in the world... is a cheap consumer mainboard. However... you could also doublecheck with a Live linux usb boot drive.

Think that won't work as I never used Linux for stuff like that so idk how, and I only have 1 USB drive that I really don't wish to mess with.

But, if nothing else works, I guess I will try that too, somehow...?

Friend is bringing his PC to me later, so I'm trying to get as many "possible fixes" as possible so that I can try them all when the PC is with me

48 minutes ago, AXLPLaZEReD said:

Think that won't work as I never used Linux for stuff like that so idk how, and I only have 1 USB drive that I really don't wish to mess with.

But, if nothing else works, I guess I will try that too, somehow...?

Friend is bringing his PC to me later, so I'm trying to get as many "possible fixes" as possible so that I can try them all when the PC is with me

The fix is to just put the windows ISO on a USB drive and install it that way. If it's not working through the updater in settings or the updater from their website - that's the only way left honestly.

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

25 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

The fix is to just put the windows ISO on a USB drive and install it that way. If it's not working through the updater in settings or the updater from their website - that's the only way left honestly.

But I do not have any product key to activate the ISO.

Which is why I use my USB.

That works on every PC except for his.

Quite sure it's something about his mobo or BIOS.

1 minute ago, AXLPLaZEReD said:

But I do not have any product key to activate the ISO.

You don't need a product key to install windows for any method

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

1 minute ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

You don't need a product key to install windows for any method

It will have the "activate windows" watermark, no?

It will

It will

And I want to avoid it.

Which is why I use my USB drive.

Whose install works perfectly on every other PC, just not his.

Anything actually related to my issue, please?

Rule out the watermark install entirely as I do not have a product key for it, and friend doesn't want the watermark on his PC.

It can't be the install media as it works everywhere.

It must be something about his motherboard. But I do not know what.

Problems started with the 1600 upgrade.

You asked for help. Help was provided to you. 

You are willing to consder valid your opinions, not trying anyhing else. You know best. That's fair, your hardware.

Please, come back to tell us what you did to solve the problem, at least 🙂

Just now, mMontana said:

You asked for help. Help was provided to you. 

You are willing to consder valid your opinions, not trying anyhing else. You know best. That's fair, your hardware.

Please, come back to tell us what you did to solve the problem, at least 🙂

Some replies I got were really not helpful at all.

I said I do not have money for a product key.

Yet I'm still given replies that require it for the Windows to be "full version".

While I already have my own USB Install Media, making the "create new bootable with ISO" entirely unnecessary.

I will try the ISO repair and BIOS updates though.

Updating this thread when I try those 2.

14 minutes ago, AXLPLaZEReD said:

Some replies I got were really not helpful at all.

I said I do not have money for a product key.

Yet I'm still given replies that require it for the Windows to be "full version".

While I already have my own USB Install Media, making the "create new bootable with ISO" entirely unnecessary.

I will try the ISO repair and BIOS updates though.

Updating this thread when I try those 2.

Your install media is meant to work with one machine, a licenced machine. The keys these days are not like before, but are stored inside the system on the mainboard (sort of). So if you upgrade a system that has already been activated, you never need to do it again on that machine. Obviously, your friends machine has not been activated, so an upgrade will always fail to work in the way you want it to, which is to get a free copy of Windows.