any advice please! (buying used pc)

Hey everyone, so I'm going to be buying a used computer off of facebook marketplace tomorrow. It has a 3060, not sure the cpu yet, but the build is nice w/ an aio and everything. The person agreed to let me test the computer before I buy it, to make sure everything works well. What should i do, should I just boot up user benchmark? what if his pc isnt optimized, wouldnt it show below average results then, for the parts? Im just very on edge and dont want to get scammed, but this is a deal I cant pass up.

Any advice is appreciated!

9 minutes ago, litttrash said:

Hey everyone, so I'm going to be buying a used computer off of facebook marketplace tomorrow. It has a 3060, not sure the cpu yet, but the build is nice w/ an aio and everything. The person agreed to let me test the computer before I buy it, to make sure everything works well. What should i do, should I just boot up user benchmark? what if his pc isnt optimized, wouldnt it show below average results then, for the parts? Im just very on edge and dont want to get scammed, but this is a deal I cant pass up.

Any advice is appreciated!

Run Cinebench for CPU and Unigen Heaven for GPU. ( Both free )  Hard to tell what the scores should be, just make sure the temperatures are good and that the clockspeeds match up for the parts.  Use MSI Afterburner to monitor clockspeed for GPU and CPU.
A 3060 should hit around 1777mhz on the core, dropping down a bit with increased temperature.

As said above, download testing software on our own usb stick that you can use straight away without having to wait for anything to download. And as said above, yea, watch so that nothing throttles, ie below the GHz and MHz that parts are specced to run at.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

12 minutes ago, venomtail said:

As said above, download testing software on our own usb stick that you can use straight away without having to wait for anything to download. And as said above, yea, watch so that nothing throttles, ie below the GHz and MHz that parts are specced to run at.

thanks for the idea, although I dont have an usb stick, and wouldnt really know how to set it all up, im just going to download it quickly and run it there. 

48 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Run Cinebench for CPU and Unigen Heaven for GPU. ( Both free )  Hard to tell what the scores should be, just make sure the temperatures are good and that the clockspeeds match up for the parts.  Use MSI Afterburner to monitor clockspeed for GPU and CPU.
A 3060 should hit around 1777mhz on the core, dropping down a bit with increased temperature.

hey man, looking up the 3060, im a bit confused. This might sound dumb, but if the person never overclocked their gpu then its mhz would only ever reach its base clock right? or does it automatically move up to 1777 mhz. sorry for a seemingly obvious quesiton, im just a bit dumb when it comes to these things

hey man, looking up the 3060, im a bit confused. This might sound dumb, but if the person never overclocked their gpu then its mhz would only ever reach its base clock right? or does it automatically move up to 1777 mhz. sorry for a seemingly obvious quesiton, im just a bit dumb when it comes to these things

Base clock speed is the default clock speed at which your CPU or GPU operates most of the time. While the boost clock speed is the maximum clock speed at which your device will run when performing heavy tasks.  So during a heavy game it will try to hit 1777Mhz, as the GPU hits higher temperature it might step down a couple of Mhz to 1750 or 1700, depending on the temperatute.  There is no need for the GPU to run at max boost frequency if you are just watcing a youtube video or playing a simple game like Half Life 2.  Its like a car, you are not using all the availible horse power of the engine while going through town. Unless its a Peel P50 that is.

No question is dumb, you are here to learn and we are here to answer and teach. Fire away if you got questions 🙂

5 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Base clock speed is the default clock speed at which your CPU or GPU operates most of the time. While the boost clock speed is the maximum clock speed at which your device will run when performing heavy tasks.  So during a heavy game it will try to hit 1777Mhz, as the GPU hits higher temperature it might step down a couple of Mhz to 1750 or 1700, depending on the temperatute.  There is no need for the GPU to run at max boost frequency if you are just watcing a youtube video or playing a simple game like Half Life 2.

No question is dumb, you are here to learn and we are here to answer and teach. Fire away if you got questions 🙂

that clears it up so much, would having msi afterburner open(on the screen) while doing a benchmark like unigine heaven mess up the accuracy of it? or is it miniscule?

EDIT: Sorry didnty realise it could be used as just an overlay, nvm

that clears it up so much, would having msi afterburner open(on the screen) while doing a benchmark like unigine heaven mess up the accuracy of it? or is it miniscule?

EDIT: Sorry didnty realise it could be used as just an overlay, nvm

It can be used as an overlay, you would need to enable that in the settings of MSI Afterburner,  Having Unigen heaven ( GPU Benchmark ) in window mode with MSi afterburner ontop would not affect the benchmark, same with Cinebench.  It will not run as an overlay in Cinebench, as its not a ' 3D game'

Check this one out, quite lengthy but nice to know 🙂  I always run MSI overlay on my games, its been a habbit for over 10 years now. I like to know what my system is doing.  You can see my gameplay in the last video here with stats as following.
CPU Clockspeed, RAM usage, FPS ( locked at 141hz ). GPU: Temp - GPU usage - clockspeed - fanspeed.  In the top left.

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

It can be used as an overlay, you would need to enable that in the settings of MSI Afterburner,  Having Unigen heaven ( GPU Benchmark ) in window mode with MSi afterburner ontop would not affect the benchmark, same with Cinebench.  It will not run as an overlay in Cinebench, as its not a ' 3D game'

Check this one out, quite lengthy but nice to know 🙂  I always run MSI overlay on my games, its been a habbit for over 10 years now. I like to know what my system is doing.  You can see my gameplay in the last video here with stats as following.
CPU Clockspeed, RAM usage, FPS ( locked at 141hz ). GPU: Temp - GPU usage - clockspeed - fanspeed.  In the top left.

I got word that its supposedly an i7 9th gen cpu, what mhz should i expect from that, is it 4.7 ghz like it says online?

I got word that its supposedly an i7 9th gen cpu, what mhz should i expect from that, is it 4.7 ghz like it says online?

4.6 to 4.7 all core boost.  It might drop down lower after a set time like 30 seconds or 1 minute depending on the motherboards boost settings.  As long as temperatures are good ( I'd say under 80-85c ) during 100% load and the boost is around 4.5 to 4.7ghz.
There are so many factors that play a part, no system is identical.  Its just a close estimate.
You'll know if something is wrong if the GPU run heaven at 3fps at 300mhz or the CPU boosts to 2.7ghz and thermal throttles at 100c.

9 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

4.6 to 4.7 all core boost.  It might drop down lower after a set time like 30 seconds or 1 minute depending on the motherboards boost settings.  As long as temperatures are good ( I'd say under 80-85c ) during 100% load and the boost is around 4.5 to 4.7ghz.
There are so many factors that play a part, no system is identical.  Its just a close estimate.
You'll know if something is wrong if the GPU run heaven at 3fps at 300mhz or the CPU boosts to 2.7ghz and thermal throttles at 100c.

thanks so much man, youve been a lifesaver I appreciate it alot. ❤️ 

8 hours ago, litttrash said:

thanks so much man, youve been a lifesaver I appreciate it alot. ❤️ 

No Problem!  Happy to help 🙂   Let me know how you get on with the system! ♥

7 hours ago, Hinjima said:

No Problem!  Happy to help 🙂   Let me know how you get on with the system! ♥

So i got the pc,  cpu worked well, good temps i dont even think about 50 c it had an aio and stuff, the mhz was good too. It was a i7 8th gen however not 9th gen. The 3060 wouldnt show up in my user benchmark test, and msi afterburner didnt have the option to see the mhz of the gpu in my overlay, but it did on my home pc. I think its because the drivers havent been updated. But unigine heaven ran fine, i did ultra and got 70 + fps i think. it looks nice but the wires are all clumsy so I plan to redo all the wires w zipties and stuff. The board was a z390, so the upgrade path isnt very clear, but Im perfectly happy with it so far, I just need to buy a monitor and test it on the games I play.

Note: even though I couldnt seee gpu mhz, it did show temps and even at 100 % usage the temps were quite low I'd say, the pc was quiet aswelll, I might change one of the fan placements because its behind the hard drive/ssd trays, so im not sure it can bring in much air, although it could be an outtake fan

15 minutes ago, litttrash said:

So i got the pc,  cpu worked well, good temps i dont even think about 50 c it had an aio and stuff, the mhz was good too. It was a i7 8th gen however not 9th gen. The 3060 wouldnt show up in my user benchmark test, and msi afterburner didnt have the option to see the mhz of the gpu in my overlay, but it did on my home pc. I think its because the drivers havent been updated. But unigine heaven ran fine, i did ultra and got 70 + fps i think. it looks nice but the wires are all clumsy so I plan to redo all the wires w zipties and stuff. The board was a z390, so the upgrade path isnt very clear, but Im perfectly happy with it so far, I just need to buy a monitor and test it on the games I play.

Note: even though I couldnt seee gpu mhz, it did show temps and even at 100 % usage the temps were quite low I'd say, the pc was quiet aswelll, I might change one of the fan placements because its behind the hard drive/ssd trays, so im not sure it can bring in much air, although it could be an outtake fan

Sounds like everything is working as intended.  The z390 supports 8th and 9th gen Intel CPU's so the best CPU / Upgrade you can make there is a i9-9990k.

If temps are fine then dont worry too much about the fans, its working well as is 🙂  Clean it up to make it nicer if you want, cable clutter has little to no impact on temperatures unless of course its a huge blockage.  Download the newest Nvidia driver and update everything and you should be good to go 🙂
You can also DM me if you have any more questions, no question is dumb or silly!
Enjoy your new gaming PC! Happy gaming
👍

Just now, Hinjima said:

Sounds like everything is working as intended.  The z390 supports 8th and 9th gen Intel CPU's so the best CPU / Upgrade you can make there is a i9-9990k.

If temps are fine then dont worry too much about the fans, its working well as is 🙂  Clean it up to make it nicer if you want, cable clutter has little to no impact on temperatures unless of course its a huge blockage.  Download the newest Nvidia driver and update everything and you should be good to go 🙂
You can also DM me if you have any more questions, no question is dumb or silly!

Thanks alot, the whole transaction was a bit awkward because downloading all the things on public wifi was something i didn't take into consideration( ill def buy a hard drive if i do this again). I'll make sure to do that once I get my monitor. I was just on edge about the whole thing because the pc was listen for 400, but I'm glad everything turned out well. Thanks!

Just now, litttrash said:

Thanks alot, the whole transaction was a bit awkward because downloading all the things on public wifi was something i didn't take into consideration( ill def buy a hard drive if i do this again). I'll make sure to do that once I get my monitor. I was just on edge about the whole thing because the pc was listen for 400, but I'm glad everything turned out well. Thanks!

400 is quite the decent price for this. I think you did good 🙂  Get some compressed air ( Can be bought in cans for PC cleaning, quite cheap ) to keep the PC clean and dust free, clean it maybe every 4 months or so to keep it operating good for longer. Don't use a vacuum cleaner.