Need Suggestion for PC upgrade and a few question

ChusanaR.
Go to solution Solved by Agall,
11 minutes ago, ChusanaR. said:

So I should save up my Ram budget for future better CPU&RAM correct?

Better CPU > better RAM, but yes. If you had to choose though, upgrading to an R5 5600 or 5800x3D would be better. The only limitation you may run into is simply with a B450 motherboard, since it doesn't support PCIe 4.0. If you were to replace your RTX 2060S at some point with an equivalent tier newer GPU, those newer GPUs only have 8x lanes, which can be a limitation if they're not running the full PCIe 4.0 bandwidth they're designed for (although its not that much, maybe 10% performance loss).

If you are willing to skip on the RAM and save for a better upgrade, I'd recommend either the 5800x3D specifically or buying a new CPU+motherboard instead when you've saved enough. Otherwise, I'd skip on investing any more money than that into AM4 at this point. You'll see considerably better performance relative to cost in a 5800x3D upgrade, even with a 2666MHz kit, than an R5 3600 with even the best RAM it can support.

Budget (including currency): 10,000 - 12,000 THB

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Use for gaming and Working (Mostly MS Word, Excel and Acrobat)

Other details

My Current Parts:

R5 3600X

Asus B450 F Gaming

32GB 2666MHz

RTX 2060S

x1 Samsung 75Hz Monitor

My plan to upgrade:

32GB 2666MHz -> 32GB 3200MHz (or 3600MHz)

New 144Hz Monitor (23.8 Inch bc My desk very limited space)

I want to ask if this is a good plan or if I can add or reduce something for better performance.

My concern is

1. if the motherboard will be able to handle 3600MHz ram BC ambient temp in Thailand is quite high (aprox 30 - 35C)

2. Will 2060S be able to handle 2 Screens?

*I attach all the possible parts for my PC upgrade

NVIDIA_Share_CfyxaUqUEB.png

NVIDIA_Share_IE5JU9aqMq.png

NVIDIA_Share_s7vWub6Mkw.png

NVIDIA_Share_5fnUN4vEr4.png

NVIDIA_Share_Bfoxnz6VV5.png

NVIDIA_Share_YzXElnO5lP.png

Budget (including currency): 10,000 - 12,000 THB

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Use for gaming and Working (Mostly MS Word, Excel and Acrobat)

Other details

My Current Parts:

R5 3600X

Asus B450 F Gaming

32GB 2666MHz

RTX 2060S

x1 Samsung 75Hz Monitor

My plan to upgrade:

32GB 2666MHz -> 32GB 3200MHz (or 3600MHz)

New 144Hz Monitor (23.8 Inch bc My desk very limited space)

I want to ask if this is a good plan or if I can add or reduce something for better performance.

My concern is

1. if the motherboard will be able to handle 3600MHz ram BC ambient temp in Thailand is quite high (aprox 30 - 35C)

*I attach all the possible parts for my PC upgrade

NVIDIA_Share_CfyxaUqUEB.png

NVIDIA_Share_IE5JU9aqMq.png

NVIDIA_Share_s7vWub6Mkw.png

NVIDIA_Share_5fnUN4vEr4.png

NVIDIA_Share_Bfoxnz6VV5.png

NVIDIA_Share_YzXElnO5lP.png

You're more limited by the CPU's capability of running higher speed RAM than the motherboard, since the memory controllers are apart of the CPU.

I'd suggest looking at an R5 5600 or saving the money on the RAM to get a 5800x3D than going from a 32GB 2666 to 3600. I don't think the performance increase is worth the cost compared to other options.

MSI's Optix brand has a good track record for value, you'd be paying more for VA vs IPS, which in my opinion is subjective on which you'd prefer. An IPS panel in the budget category would likely yield better results, but whether that's worth the ~10% more cost is up to you.

RTX 2060S or any discrete GPU can handle more than one monitor as a simple secondary display perfectly fine. Simply driving a second monitor for your browser or whatever you'd have up on it while gaming isn't challenging for any dGPU. If you were thinking of using surround and running more than one to drive the game, then yes, it doubles the pixels your GPU is rendering for that game, but no one does that anymore since super ultrawides are just better.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

You're more limited by the CPU's capability of running higher speed RAM than the motherboard, since the memory controllers are apart of the CPU.

I'd suggest looking at an R5 5600 or saving the money on the RAM to get a 5800x3D than going from a 32GB 2666 to 3600. I don't think the performance increase is worth the cost compared to other options.

MSI's Optix brand has a good track record for value, you'd be paying more for VA vs IPS, which in my opinion is subjective on which you'd prefer. An IPS panel in the budget category would likely yield better results, but whether that's worth the ~10% more cost is up to you.

RTX 2060S or any discrete GPU can handle more than one monitor as a simple secondary display perfectly fine. Simply driving a second monitor for your browser or whatever you'd have up on it while gaming isn't challenging for any dGPU. If you were thinking of using surround and running more than one to drive the game, then yes, it doubles the pixels your GPU is rendering for that game, but no one does that anymore since super ultrawides are just better.

Better CPU > better RAM, but yes. If you had to choose though, upgrading to an R5 5600 or 5800x3D would be better. The only limitation you may run into is simply with a B450 motherboard, since it doesn't support PCIe 4.0. If you were to replace your RTX 2060S at some point with an equivalent tier newer GPU, those newer GPUs only have 8x lanes, which can be a limitation if they're not running the full PCIe 4.0 bandwidth they're designed for (although its not that much, maybe 10% performance loss).

If you are willing to skip on the RAM and save for a better upgrade, I'd recommend either the 5800x3D specifically or buying a new CPU+motherboard instead when you've saved enough. Otherwise, I'd skip on investing any more money than that into AM4 at this point. You'll see considerably better performance relative to cost in a 5800x3D upgrade, even with a 2666MHz kit, than an R5 3600 with even the best RAM it can support.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

4 minutes ago, Agall said:

Thank you, I think I better save up for a better board and CPU then. bc better Board and CPU at this moment are gonna exceed my limited budget. from what I see over here the 5800X3D is about 12000THB (and I have to get a cooler too). Thank you for the idea 😄

Just now, ChusanaR. said:

Thank you, I think I better save up for a better board and CPU then. bc better Board and CPU at this moment are gonna exceed my limited budget. from what I see over here the 5800X3D is about 12000THB (and I have to get a cooler too). Thank you for the idea 😄

Regional pricing can be a b*tch when considering upgrades, 12000TBH being about $350 USD which is close to the current $331 USD pricing. 

5800x3D trades blows with Ryzen 7000 non 3D and Intel's 13th generation, however you'd need to spend A LOT more to get comparable performance since it would require a new motherboard and potentially RAM. The closest thing on Intel's side to match pricing would be a 12600kf and budget DDR4 LGA 1700 motherboard, which gets beat by the 5800x3D by a sizeable margin. Ryzen 7000 would require new RAM, which immediately puts it past $450 USD.

Just to over-explain the scenario of why the 5800x3D holds its ground in your scenario. Just keep in mind with a future GPU upgrade that you'd want a full 16x card, so NOT cards like the RTX 4060, RTX 4060ti, RX 6600, RX 7600 which are all PCIe 4.0 8x for some reason.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

31 minutes ago, ChusanaR. said:

Yes, yes it does capable. By default, CPU for DDR4 is capable up to 3200Mhz, even if you purchase the highest Zen4 AMD CPU (e.q. 5950X)

So it's up to Mobo to overclock XMP/EXPO to higher speed

And the good news, your ASUS B450-F mobo is capable of running 3600MHz and even higher if the RAM is capable to do more.

But for Ryzen CPU, going higher than 3600MHz is point of diminishing return, so better to save your budget on other components

47 minutes ago, ChusanaR. said:

32GB 2666MHz -> 32GB 3200MHz (or 3600MHz

Upgrade the RAM would definitely increase your gaming performance, but it wouldn't be game changing. Probably 5-8% at the very best scenario.

Since DDR4 RAM is 'discontinued' for current gen of CPU, it means that it will get cheaper as time goes on

So it's a good time to upgrade to 3200 or even 3600MHz, but try to always check the prices on Thai market place, because the price drop isn't always in line for each country

36 minutes ago, ChusanaR. said:

Yes, RTX 2060S is capable of running 2 monitor simultaneously

You can even run 3 monitors if you want

In addition, in the long run you may also consider to upgrade your 3600X CPU to 5800X3D for gaming focus (since this is the "last"-ish and best CPU for Zen4 platform)

But try to wait till next year or two until the price really drops hard, since it is still a popular CPU in the market

So the main focus for your upgrade should be monitor first, any of these brand you suggested would do fine and a jump from 75Hz to 144Hz is incredible, unless you're a content creator that wants super detailed and accurate colour

image.png

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

23 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

Yes, yes it does capable. By default, CPU for DDR4 is capable up to 3200Mhz, even if you purchase the highest Zen4 AMD CPU (e.q. 5950X)

So it's up to Mobo to overclock XMP/EXPO to higher speed

And the good news, your ASUS B450-F mobo is capable of running 3600MHz and even higher if the RAM is capable to do more.

But for Ryzen CPU, going higher than 3600MHz is point of diminishing return, so better to save your budget on other components

Upgrade the RAM would definitely increase your gaming performance, but it wouldn't be game changing. Probably 5-8% at the very best scenario.

Since DDR4 RAM is 'discontinued' for current gen of CPU, it means that it will get cheaper as time goes on

So it's a good time to upgrade to 3200 or even 3600MHz, but try to always check the prices on Thai market place, because the price drop isn't always in line for each country

Yes, RTX 2060S is capable of running 2 monitor simultaneously

You can even run 3 monitors if you want

In addition, in the long run you may also consider to upgrade your 3600X CPU to 5800X3D for gaming focus (since this is the "last"-ish and best CPU for Zen4 platform)

But try to wait till next year or two until the price really drops hard, since it is still a popular CPU in the market

So the main focus for your upgrade should be monitor first, any of these brand you suggested would do fine and a jump from 75Hz to 144Hz is incredible, unless you're a content creator that wants super detailed and accurate colour

image.png

love it! thank you

25 minutes ago, Agall said:

Regional pricing can be a b*tch when considering upgrades, 12000TBH being about $350 USD which is close to the current $331 USD pricing. 

5800x3D trades blows with Ryzen 7000 non 3D and Intel's 13th generation, however you'd need to spend A LOT more to get comparable performance since it would require a new motherboard and potentially RAM. The closest thing on Intel's side to match pricing would be a 12600kf and budget DDR4 LGA 1700 motherboard, which gets beat by the 5800x3D by a sizeable margin. Ryzen 7000 would require new RAM, which immediately puts it past $450 USD.

Just to over-explain the scenario of why the 5800x3D holds its ground in your scenario. Just keep in mind with a future GPU upgrade that you'd want a full 16x card, so NOT cards like the RTX 4060, RTX 4060ti, RX 6600, RX 7600 which are all PCIe 4.0 8x for some reason.

I will be caution when I upgrade the GPU then. xD