The RGB Staircase (Something a little different)

naylor2006

Ive only just joined these forums so I'm posting a bit after the fact but I thought this was something a little different to some of the killer gaming rigs on here.

This is actually is PC I originally built in 2012 and was a gaming rig at the time but over the years I have stripped it back and its become my LAN fileserver, basically where I keep the library of content I have collected over the years that can be accessed via Media Players of choice.

The Aindees case has a ton of 3.5" harddrive enclosures, I guess back in 2012 it was more common to have lots of drives for storage over singular large ones, over the years after it stopped being my gaming rig I bought a large capacity HDs from time to time and just stuffed them in, there is no fancy RAID or anything, there is nothing on there that if I lose a drive I care too much about but I have considered making it a proper NAS.

Anyway, I've always had an issue of where to put it, my wife would rather it wasnt 'on show' somewhere and our attic isnt suitable really, besides there no power up there. After managed to get ethernet and power to the cupboard under our stairs I rigged it up in there but there needed to be some basic cooling. So whilst I compromised with my wife about it not being on show somewhere she, to be fair to her, compromised on me drilling out two huge holes in the tongue and groove wood, this gave me the opportunity to install some RGB in our hallway using two Cooler Master MasterFan MF140 Halo's. Problem is of course a motherboard from 2012 does not have aRGB so I just got a controller which connects to SATA and stuck it to the ceiling of the case then run extensions out the back to the two fans, there is an RF remote for messing with it.

To share all my junk internally I just run the free FileZilla FTP Server which is lightweight and does the job.

I guess the specs are kinda irrelevant really but here we go anyway:

Motherboard: AS Rock B75 Pro-3m

CPU: i5 3450

Ram: 2 x 16GB's of who knows....

GPU: Onboard

Case: Aindees AI-6BS

HDD: 52TB's made up of different drives ive acquired at different times

Heck I even did some cable management.

My toddler loves it she is always staring into the RGB abyss. 

IMG-0295.jpg

IMG-0308.jpg

• 1 month later...