Thunderbolt Limited Functionality Error

Go to solution Solved by Zeelol,
58 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

Hello all,

Looking for assistance troubleshooting a problem with a thunderbolt dock into a computer.

I have a dell precision 7820 that I installed a StarTech USB-C PCIe Card (Found here)

When using smaller USB-C docks I can detect drives connected but only after disabling then enabling the PCIe card.

When I try to plug in a thunderbolt dock (OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock) I get the error "Thunderbolt may have limited functionality" and nothing plugged into the dock is detected.

I am using the included Thunderbolt cable that came with the dock (Has a lightning symbol with a 3 on the connector), I have drivers updated for the computer, pcie card, and even one that came for the dock and still nothing. I even have the thunderbolt option enabled with no security in the bios.

I'm hitting a wall of I don't know what else I can check to get this thunderbolt dock to work. Any suggestions?

The "StarTech USB-C PCIe Card" that you have dosen't seem to support Thunderbolt, it only supports up to USB 3.2 Gen 2. Therefore, Thunderbolt docks wouldn't work.

Hello all,

Looking for assistance troubleshooting a problem with a thunderbolt dock into a computer.

I have a dell precision 7820 that I installed a StarTech USB-C PCIe Card (Found here)

When using smaller USB-C docks I can detect drives connected but only after disabling then enabling the PCIe card.

When I try to plug in a thunderbolt dock (OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock) I get the error "Thunderbolt may have limited functionality" and nothing plugged into the dock is detected.

I am using the included Thunderbolt cable that came with the dock (Has a lightning symbol with a 3 on the connector), I have drivers updated for the computer, pcie card, and even one that came for the dock and still nothing. I even have the thunderbolt option enabled with no security in the bios.

I'm hitting a wall of I don't know what else I can check to get this thunderbolt dock to work. Any suggestions?

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

58 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

Hello all,

The "StarTech USB-C PCIe Card" that you have dosen't seem to support Thunderbolt, it only supports up to USB 3.2 Gen 2. Therefore, Thunderbolt docks wouldn't work.

2 minutes ago, Zeelol said:

That's what I was thinking but why do I have the option to enable thunderbolt in my bios? Neither the card nor the front USB-C ports seem to work.

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

4 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

That's what I was thinking but why do I have the option to enable thunderbolt in my bios? Neither the card nor the front USB-C ports seem to work.

The option to enable Thunderbolt on your BIOS would control the motherboard Thunderbolt port. Not the PCIe Add-in card. Does your motherboard support Thunderbolt?. Correct me if im wrong but it seems as though Thunderbolt was an optional option when buying the dell precision 7820.

11 minutes ago, Zeelol said:

The option to enable Thunderbolt on your BIOS would control the motherboard Thunderbolt port. Not the PCIe Add-in card. Does your motherboard support Thunderbolt?. Correct me if im wrong but it seems as though Thunderbolt was an optional option when buying the dell precision 7820.

Not sure, I didn't make the purchase. This user simply got approved to get this card and wanted me to troubleshoot why thunderbolt doc isn't working. I can't find the ports on the board to plug in a thunderbolt card so I'm just going to go with the option that this computer doesn't support thunderbolt.

It is confusing why bios lets me enable thunderbolt but every port on the computer is only usb-c 3.2.

Thanks for the help!

7 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

Not sure, I didn't make the purchase. This user simply got approved to get this card and wanted me to troubleshoot why thunderbolt doc isn't working. I can't find the ports on the board to plug in a thunderbolt card so I'm just going to go with the option that this computer doesn't support thunderbolt.

It is confusing why bios lets me enable thunderbolt but every port on the computer is only usb-c 3.2.

Thanks for the help!

You're welcome 😁