Weird memtest86 results

Yolofolks
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
3 hours ago, Yolofolks said:

I've though of this as well, but after i repasted and cleaned it it still gave the 42 errors (which is less) and failed the memory tests both memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic. 

And it suddenly passed with no errors this morning so im not really sure what to conclude about this

is it fine for now and will it become unstable again?  

I would use it under the assumption that it has just fixed itself, but would check again somewhat soon and regularly for a bit (once or twice a week for 2-3 weeks). It could be that it had avoided retraining the memory that first boot after repasting it, then finally did a retrain and started working and will continue to work as it's training with lower temps. It could also be a difference in mounting pressure of the heatsink, it was initially too low causing errors, then when you repasted it it was a little high, but as things compressed it became just right and everything works and will continue to do so. 

That is very weird, 100%, but not theoretically impossible. 

Hello the laptop is a huawei d15 with soldered ram (ryzen 5 3500u, 8gb ram)

The reason i tested this laptop with memtest86 becuase it gets blue screens maybe once a month. (Also done a clean install of windows 11 and it still gets a blue screen every now and then)

The bsod errors are random but most of them points to the memory or windows file corruption (or the processor but im not really sure anymore at this point).

Running superposition or other stresstest does not trigger a bsod or other stability issue (aside from the memory test, memtest86, windows memory diagnostic).

First i ran windows memory diagnostic and it detected hardware issues, then i ran memtest86 that i did not complete due to overheating problems (280+ errors in memtest86), i shut the test off and repasted and cleaned the vents. 

The second full run at completed has about 42 errors and failed and it has failure in cpu (3,4,5) consistently in all of the previous tests.

Now here's the weird part 

After that i ran the test with a single core only cpu (0 and 3) with no errors.

And this morning i ran another full test and it passed with no errors. I ran windows memory diagnotic as well. No errors found 

I am now lost, is it really just because of overheating? Why are there errors? Is it just a bug? 

received_970873144184160.jpeg

20230706_221841.jpg

Edited by Yolofolks

2 minutes ago, Yolofolks said:

I am now lost, is it really just because of overheating?

Not out of the question. The CPU's memory controller is usually temperature sensitive, same with the memory itself, so if it's too hot it's very possible to error out. 

Not sure dude maybe try bringing it to a repair shop or if you know how to try open it up

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Not out of the question. The CPU's memory controller is usually temperature sensitive, same with the memory itself, so if it's too hot it's very possible to error out. 

I've though of this as well, but after i repasted and cleaned it it still gave the 42 errors (which is less) and failed the memory tests both memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic. 

And it suddenly passed with no errors this morning so im not really sure what to conclude about this

3 hours ago, Yolofolks said:

I would use it under the assumption that it has just fixed itself, but would check again somewhat soon and regularly for a bit (once or twice a week for 2-3 weeks). It could be that it had avoided retraining the memory that first boot after repasting it, then finally did a retrain and started working and will continue to work as it's training with lower temps. It could also be a difference in mounting pressure of the heatsink, it was initially too low causing errors, then when you repasted it it was a little high, but as things compressed it became just right and everything works and will continue to do so. 

6 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

This might be it, if i have further problems with this i might reball this or change the processor and ram. (I have a spare board)

Thanks