Old Windows 10 C drive not registering in new windows 10 computer.

Hi everyone,

I just recently build a new computer and everything is going great. However, I have some files that I want to get off of my old PC so I put everything back together (I had a 3080 in I replaced that with the original graphics card (a Redon something). Then with the original GPU in I booted up the system and I got no display. So I went thought and tried all the video outs I have and got nothing. When the PC turned on I didn't hear a beep that the system posted. I thought oh well lets take out the C drive and put it in my new PC as just a USB drive and see where that brings me. The old C drive didn't show up in File Explorer. So I went to Disk Management and all that shows up is

Disk 0 (my 1TB Games Drive),

Disk 1 an 256 GB SSD that is Dynamic and Foreign in Windows (Doesn't show up in File Explorer)

Disk 2 my current C drive (a 1TB Sabrient m.2 SSD)

Disk 3 (my old C drive) windows says there is No Media

I only want to get my Plex Media Server Files off (the video files are on a different drive this is just the server config and watch history, etc.) of it and some Beat Saber maps.

Steps I tried, booting into Windows on the old PC (nothing), connect the SSD as a USB drive (nothing), change the boot order to boot from the old C drive first (nothing it just now takes a bit longer to boot into my new Windows install). I used the drive about 2 or 3 days ago. When I switched from my old PC to my new one I tried to boot up my old one. But when I did the GPU fan would spin up really fast then spin down then repeat that for as long as it wants. I had to cut the power and at that point it still wasn't booting.

Any thoughts would be great

Thank you all in advance.

Edit: I also want to get Train Sim World 3 save data off of the old drive (I used Game Save Manager and that data wasn't transferred over)

image.png

I'm confused (not hard these days), but let me get this straight.  You bought a new computer, then, after receiving the new computer the first thing you do is start screwing with the parts by replacing the GPU and adding or removing other parts along with the drive.  If you were going to be replacing the new parts with parts out of the old system, then why did you buy the new computer in the first place?  Before buying the new computer, why didn't you just backup the files you knew you needed to save to a flash drive then copy them to the new machine from the flash drive?

Take Care and Good Luck.

Are you able to power on and boot both systems properly if they're set up in their original configurations? Original GPU, drives, everything?

You can't just swap Nvidia and AMD cards without problems, you'll have to run Display Driver Uninstaller before the swap so the drivers don't look for a card that isn't there. I'm not sure what you're doing to connect your old boot drive as a USB drive, but that may have something to do with it not being properly detected. Try connecting that just like a normal internal drive.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I'm confused (not hard these days), but let me get this straight.  You bought a new computer, then, after receiving the new computer the first thing you do is start screwing with the parts by replacing the GPU and adding or removing other parts along with the drive.  If you were going to be replacing the new parts with parts out of the old system, then why did you buy the new computer in the first place?  Before buying the new computer, why didn't you just backup the files you knew you needed to save to a flash drive then copy them to the new machine from the flash drive?

Take Care and Good Luck.

No haha. This is a computer I built. I had all the parts and built it myself (I did a clean install of windows for my new gaming PC). My old Gaming PC (from 2013 had a Radon something for a GPU) then I bought a RTX 3080 put that in my old PC. Then when I got all the other parts in for my new gaming PC (took about 2 years) then I built my new PC put the RTX 3080 into my new computer and put my old gaming PC back to were it was (I didn't change any drivers on the old PC).

I understand that I should have backed up all my data. I didn't realize I would need the data until I had my new gaming PC put all together. I did make a back up of the files I would know I would need (game saves, files from work, etc.). But I didn't realize that some of my games didn't back up and that I didn't move over some of my old files.

I understand if you don't want to help me. But please don't make me feel worse than I already am. I understand that I should have made a back up. I also understand that most of this could have been prevented.

But this is what I am dealing with and I am out of ideas and figured that some of the users here could help me with some ideas.

I wish you the best and if you have any other ideas on how I can get the data off of the drive that would be great. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Are you able to power on and boot both systems properly if they're set up in their original configurations? Original GPU, drives, everything?

You can't just swap Nvidia and AMD cards without problems, you'll have to run Display Driver Uninstaller before the swap so the drivers don't look for a card that isn't there. I'm not sure what you're doing to connect your old boot drive as a USB drive, but that may have something to do with it not being properly detected. Try connecting that just like a normal internal drive.

I can boot on my new PC but the old one won't boot or post and there is no on board graphics (which is kind of why I am stuck here haha)

Yes everything on my new PC is from a fresh install of windows 10. My old PC is on an SSD that has my AMD GPU in then I swaped the GPU in the old PC to the 3080 (I didn't uninstall any of the AMD drivers). Then when I built my new PC I took out the 3080 and put in the AMD card. Then I booted up the new PC and everything was fine. But when I turned on the old PC it wouldn't boot. The hard drive light would flicker (indicating it was reading/writing something).

Honestly I didn't know I had to uninstall the Nvidia drivers. When I installed the 3080 it just booted right up and it prompted me to install Nvidia drivers. So I thought it was just plug it in I get limited functionality (just enough to get the drivers and stuff). But apparently I was wrong.

I have a sata to USB adaptor then I have a sata power adaptor (its a bit more sophisticated than that. But I don't know how to explain it). I have had great success with it before (plugging in BluRay drives, old hard drives, etc.)

I'll plug it in as an internal drive and see how it goes.

Do you think if I put the 3080 back into my old PC with the old SSD it should work? (i just thought of this now and i don't want to do something and then mess up what I already have working).

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

just get a usb drive adapter and use that to get files off the old drive.  1000x easier than what you want to do.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

just get a usb drive adapter and use that to get files off the old drive.  1000x easier than what you want to do.

Yeah. That should work on paper. I am currently using one and I am having this issue. I haven't tried on Linux yet. So I'll try that tomorrow.