Brand new Ryzen 5 7600x build giving a GPU error, even with iGPU

NagashKK
Go to solution Solved by NagashKK,

UPDATE 2:

It was the hdmi cable that was broken lol, everything works fine now in inside of the case.

Hey all, I just had just gotten all the parts for my PC and had it on the desk all assembled to check if it worked. Thankfully, everything powered up correctly and booted to Windows and I even managed to game on it.

However, after powering it off and assembling the build again inside the case (ASUS Prime AP 201), the Asrock motherboard gave me 5 short beeps instead of booting.

Manufacturer's docs say it's a GPU error. I tried booting with and without the dedicated GPU installed, but it wouldn't even attempt to show anything through either display output and still beeping.

What could I have missed or messed up during the install? What are any other troubleshooting steps I could use or any diagnosis tools I should get?

I don't have much in terms of replacement parts, this is the only AM5 socket CPU in my house, and at best I have one other GPU (Old Quadro) to try out. 

Here's the build:

ASRock B650M-HDV.M2

Ryzen 5 7600X

Thermalright SIlent Assasin 120 cooler

GTX 1060 6GB

32 GB DDR5 HyperX

Thanks in advance!

Did you leave your bios jumper on by any chance?  Could also try resetting the bios by popping the CMOS battery.  Do you have a spare gpu to test to see if a different card works?  

I'd also see if maybe a power cable or two didn't quite seat properly or got jostled out of position or something.  You'd be amazed how many times I've fixed mice and keyboard by plugging them back in properly.  Sames goes for the gpu seating properly.

Is the gpu error from an error led or from the mobo manual?

Also I don't think changing the front IO would do this unless you accidntly switched a positive to negative. But I'm not sure. 

45 minutes ago, Nalyk said:

Did you leave your bios jumper on by any chance?  Could also try resetting the bios by popping the CMOS battery.  Do you have a spare gpu to test to see if a different card works?  

I'd also see if maybe a power cable or two didn't quite seat properly or got jostled out of position or something.  You'd be amazed how many times I've fixed mice and keyboard by plugging them back in properly.  Sames goes for the gpu seating properly.

Is the gpu error from an error led or from the mobo manual?

Also I don't think changing the front IO would do this unless you accidntly switched a positive to negative. But I'm not sure. 

I did try and reset CMOS and also reseating the cables, didnt help though. The error is a red VGA led on the mobo staying red on boot and also 5 beeps.

I will be extra careful with the IO once i reassemble.

Thank you for your reply!

UPDATE:

I took the components out of the case once more to try and start just like when it did work, and... it booted no problem. lol
Could something in the case be shorting out power cables or causing issues somehow? And if so how can i prevent that then?

1 hour ago, NagashKK said:

I did try and reset CMOS and also reseating the cables, didnt help though. The error is a red VGA led on the mobo staying red on boot and also 5 beeps.

I will be extra careful with the IO once i reassemble.

Thank you for your reply!

UPDATE:

I took the components out of the case once more to try and start just like when it did work, and... it booted no problem. lol
Could something in the case be shorting out power cables or causing issues somehow? And if so how can i prevent that then?

check that the standoffs are correct and you don't have one for a hole that isn't there.. 

i actually found a computer without standoffs.. he complained the GPU wouldn't mount properly..  no wonder as the mainboard was half a cm too far back without the standoffs. AND lucky he wasn't shorted. 

UPDATE 2:

It was the hdmi cable that was broken lol, everything works fine now in inside of the case.

4 hours ago, NagashKK said:

UPDATE 2:

Well that's a relief I bet. Surprising that the hdmi cable would cause the mobo to short out. Even more strange that it would work outside and then not inside once everything was mounted.