Anyone have experience with mini-box.com's "OpenUPS", DIY Laptop info gathering.

I plan to use mini-box's openups to power a minipc and a few other electronics related to building a laptop. While i've read all documentation several times, I was wondering if anyone has experience pushing it past the 6amp nominal load rating to the 10amp peak rating. Im not unfamiliar to cooling mods and was under the assumption I would be making a custom heat sink for it, along with one for my 7940hs as its stock cooler is limited to only 90w(ships @ 65w), 120-150w being the goal for this gen and next gens peak apu.

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Hifiman HE4xx | Philips SHP9500s | Swans HiVi M10

i've no experience with the OpenUPS specificly, but i'd say you can assume that going past 6A for more than 30 seconds (as defined in the specs) isnt just about a 'cooling some components' issue.

10 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've no experience with the OpenUPS specificly, but i'd say you can assume that going past 6A for more than 30 seconds (as defined in the specs) isnt just about a 'cooling some components' issue.

Welp then ill just go back to my og idea, running two in parallel, lol.  Or worse, cutting one up and reusing certain parts.... Id rather not. I should stop being lazy and design my own board but I don't feel like doing the software side of things.

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

2 hours ago, ATrollAaaNnnnn said:

Welp then ill just go back to my og idea, running two in parallel, lol.  Or worse, cutting one up and reusing certain parts.... Id rather not. I should stop being lazy and design my own board but I don't feel like doing the software side of things.

is software connectivity a requirement? if not - there's incredibly 'dumb' ways to do this that only require a good DC-DC power supply for the 12 volt output, a BMS of your choosing, a charger to match the battery layout, an AC-DC power source that's of higher voltage than the battery, and some beefy diodes.

I actually Cut opened Coolermaster MWE 450 V2 and used it's DC side to get multiple outputs from 12v Input.. (I injected on Transformer's rail by bypassing Rectifier.. Apart from -12V.. And after some tweaking on Baord.. I was able to get almost all Voltages in Range and also lower good signals too.. and it was very cheap to make.  Around 20$ for old PSU.. and yes.. needed powerful buck converter . With capacity.  I used was 630 watt one.. which I made to charge Old Inverter batteries (150AH ones).. and it worked for me.. I use to powr it up with 4S lithium polymer cells..  

On 6/28/2023 at 4:38 PM, manikyath said:

is software connectivity a requirement? if not - there's incredibly 'dumb' ways to do this that only require a good DC-DC power supply for the 12 volt output, a BMS of your choosing, a charger to match the battery layout, an AC-DC power source that's of higher voltage than the battery, and some beefy diodes.

Yes, i am still looking into doing this the dumb way but I do indeed want fuel gauging. its 19v, i also need 12v, perfect bms found on tindie but creator died in 2020(replacement might have to be diy of own design), charger found (330w from dell/alienware, overpower for future upgrade and cooler function), battery layout is complex; most likely 2 (maybe 3) lifepo4 polymer cells total, minibox (creators of openups) have a ypower adapter to handling switching (function is very simple), and etc. Still would be bigger than two open ups stacked with a custom heatsink.

Spoiler

Nihla