Cpu upgrade

Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
7 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

Is it important for me to reset the bios to default (in the bios) before i turn it off and swap cpus? Due to some settings obviously being set specifically for my 3800xt

Might as well, but AM4 by default resets all CPU related settings when it detects new CPU as far as i know. And yeah, good call. Even on 5600 the 6800 and 6900 start to bottleneck on CPU heavy titles.

So, I decided to upgrade my cpu from a 3800xt to a 5800x3d so I would be golden for a while. With the newest gpus that will come. And with my 6950xt as some new games really struggle on this cpu. Which is weird to me but some games are just bad cpu optimised like for example jedi survivor where at 1440p in some sections my gpu is doing nothing and I'm hovering at around 50 fps and that with fsr enabled to quality or even off or even set to high it doesn't matter my gpu simply isn't getting enough data from my cpu. Which was a clear indication I had to do this upgrade. And for stellaris as I heard this cpu has a massive uplift in that game. So anyway here is my question:

I do have one thing I'm not quite sure about. Since the x3d chips are so picky when it comes to voltages and such.

Is it important for me to reset the bios to default (in the bios) before i turn it off and swap cpus? Due to some settings obviously being set specifically for my 3800xt

I already have the latest bios version installed and I'm pretty sure nothing of my build would be any issue for a 5800x3d (see my pc build under this message) so would a simple set bios to default be enough? Or is it better to clear the cmos?

Thanks in advance!

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

7 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

Might as well, but AM4 by default resets all CPU related settings when it detects new CPU as far as i know. And yeah, good call. Even on 5600 the 6800 and 6900 start to bottleneck on CPU heavy titles.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

Thank you for your response. I didn't know it did that. Maybe I skipped over the message when I switched to a 3800xt from a 2600x. 🤣 I guess I'll just do the default thing just in case and then swap them out. Pretty sure my arctic freezer II will be good enough with an mx-6 paste. 

Yeah I was debating between a 5800x and 5800x3d which costs about 100 euros more. But since it will be the last upgrade I will ever do on this mobo I thought I may as well go the full way. As its either equal or way better. And the added bonus to stellaris was really nice sounding to me.

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate