Looking for an android phone that can display things on my TV via HDMI

Chazzwazz
Go to solution Solved by Wlkn,

I feel there's some confusion going on with the previous comments, I've also been into this rabbit hole so I think I should clarify a few things.

First of all, this subject is a mess, I've never been able to find a good guide about it because phone manufacturers have made a mess with it.

If you want to have a phone that just works with a cable that goes from USB-c to HDMI, first of all that phone needs to list video output as a feature but sometimes they say that in a different way, Samsung phones say the phone has the DEX desktop feature, Huawei also has a name for it (which I don't remember), Motorola too. Most of the phones that have this feature are on the high-end too, but be aware that no every high-end phone will have it.

Also, there are 3 protocols that I'm aware of that can be used by the phones to transmit the video, HDMI (the protocol not the connector), MHL and display port, these days I believe most of the current phones use Display port, but be aware that if the phone uses MHL you have to use a cable and HDMI port on the tv that is MHL compatible, and yes for Display port, you need for the cable to be display port compatible.

The other comments in here, saying that "any phone with USB-c works it's a partial truth, I believe most of them will work but that's thanks to another way of outputting video which usually is not officially supported, just a perk of the USB protocol. So, with the help of an app like "DisplayLink presenter" the phone is able of displaying to an external monitor through the USB protocol, but the phone has to be put as a USB host, how successful you'll be with this method varies a lot, the resolution will be limited a lot more if the phone only has USB 2.0 you could even get choppy video if that's the case.  

That's also why if you use this method a display link dock helps with the power delivery that is always limited by the phone and things like that, here's a video from ETAprime about this method.

So, sorry for not giving you one recommendation, it's one of those subjects, but here's a partial list of some phones that work with display port and from that you could look into updated phones of the same brands to look for one that fits your budget and needs. Once you have some candidates you do need to search in forums, blog posts and videos that actually confirm the phone works with the video output and what type of cable works best.

Hi all,my budget us is around 800 euros (850 Dollars US) and my OnePlus 6T is breaking down slowly, so I think it's time to purchase a new Phone that can display things on the TV via physical connection. Im not very familiar with Phones and what USB ports they need, therefore any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what you're use case is, but Google says this dock is compatible with Pixel phones:

USB C Docking Station with Laptop Power Delivery; Dual Display HDMI+DisplayPort; Gigabit Ethernet RJ45; USB 3.0/2.0, Audio Jack (mediagearpro.com)

That and a Pixel 7a will run you somewhere in the $700 range. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

4 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

Not sure what you're use case is, but Google says this dock is compatible with Pixel phones:

USB C Docking Station with Laptop Power Delivery; Dual Display HDMI+DisplayPort; Gigabit Ethernet RJ45; USB 3.0/2.0, Audio Jack (mediagearpro.com)

That and a Pixel 7a will run you somewhere in the $700 range. 

Im trying to avoid other devices such as a docking station, my intention is to simply use a cable adapter, dont know if thats possible tho.

16 minutes ago, Chazzwazz said:

Hi all,my budget us is around 800 euros (850 Dollars US) and my OnePlus 6T is breaking down slowly, so I think it's time to purchase a new Phone that can display things on the TV via physical connection. Im not very familiar with Phones and what USB ports they need, therefore any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

I think basically all phones with USB-C supports this.

3 minutes ago, Chazzwazz said:

Im trying to avoid other devices such as a docking station, my intention is to simply use a cable adapter, dont know if thats possible tho.

It is. I have a USB-C to HDMI adapter around for my S10e . For when I need it.

Although, what kind of TV are you trying to output to is a whole other matter.

Like, are you trying to get 4k 60hz or something.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

pretty much any Android phone will support USB-to-HDMI OTG cables these days; just need to pick one up from Amazon or the like

Here's a couple examples:

Micro USB https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Charging-Converter-Connector/dp/B083VX2BV1/

USB-C https://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Adapter-Converter-MacBook-Chromebook/dp/B0C17QNPJF/

I feel there's some confusion going on with the previous comments, I've also been into this rabbit hole so I think I should clarify a few things.

First of all, this subject is a mess, I've never been able to find a good guide about it because phone manufacturers have made a mess with it.

If you want to have a phone that just works with a cable that goes from USB-c to HDMI, first of all that phone needs to list video output as a feature but sometimes they say that in a different way, Samsung phones say the phone has the DEX desktop feature, Huawei also has a name for it (which I don't remember), Motorola too. Most of the phones that have this feature are on the high-end too, but be aware that no every high-end phone will have it.

Also, there are 3 protocols that I'm aware of that can be used by the phones to transmit the video, HDMI (the protocol not the connector), MHL and display port, these days I believe most of the current phones use Display port, but be aware that if the phone uses MHL you have to use a cable and HDMI port on the tv that is MHL compatible, and yes for Display port, you need for the cable to be display port compatible.

The other comments in here, saying that "any phone with USB-c works it's a partial truth, I believe most of them will work but that's thanks to another way of outputting video which usually is not officially supported, just a perk of the USB protocol. So, with the help of an app like "DisplayLink presenter" the phone is able of displaying to an external monitor through the USB protocol, but the phone has to be put as a USB host, how successful you'll be with this method varies a lot, the resolution will be limited a lot more if the phone only has USB 2.0 you could even get choppy video if that's the case.  

That's also why if you use this method a display link dock helps with the power delivery that is always limited by the phone and things like that, here's a video from ETAprime about this method.

So, sorry for not giving you one recommendation, it's one of those subjects, but here's a partial list of some phones that work with display port and from that you could look into updated phones of the same brands to look for one that fits your budget and needs. Once you have some candidates you do need to search in forums, blog posts and videos that actually confirm the phone works with the video output and what type of cable works best.

5 hours ago, Wlkn said:

this was my suspicion, thank you very much for your reply