Installed Manjaro Linux on my desktop today trying to find a new way to play games.

After some initial issues with installation because my B550 Extreme 4 Bios needs CSM enabled to enable UEFI after I had it turned off to use resizable bar, I could install Manjaro alongside Windows 11.

What prompted me to do this was buying the game known as The Outer Worlds, this game stutters horrendously on Windows and my AMD system.

I run a 5800X3D

32GB 3666 CL15 memory

RX 7900 XT

I went a couple of days getting replies like oh I bet your system RAM is not stable, to user error to workarounds that never fixed anything.

So I decided to take things into my own hands and try Linux. it did not take long for me to find out I could install Windows games using Proton compatibility, I coped the files from the Windows directory to my new Manjaro one and Steam picked up all files ready to play. Loaded my game up.

At the same point after pressing continue I had the same framerate as I did in Windows 11 but the 7900 XT was overclocked and with SAM enabled in Windows, I enabled Vsync because my card was ramping up liek heck with massive framerates.

Played for 20 mins, not a single stutter, 165FPS solid and no drops at 1440P...

I am lost for words at the night and day difference and am very impressed.

Screenshot_20230614_082403.png.2a78aa687b3e6b2cbd7c1f8cc4bdb5c1.png

5800X3D Stock. 32GB RAM. RX 7900 XT. Arch Linux.

9 minutes ago, Strobel said:

needs CSM enabled to enable UEFI after I had it turned off to use resizable bar

You mean CSM disabled?

9 minutes ago, Strobel said:

this game stutters horrendously on Windows and my AMD system.

Use DDU to remove all traces of amd drives and download/install latest drives.

8 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

You mean CSM disabled?

Use DDU to remove all traces of amd drives and install latest drives.

That is like the first thing anyone does, that game don't run smooth regardless even on Nvidia.

In Manjaro it feels like there is no FPS, it is you directly in the game, I can't explain how great it feels.

CSM enabled blocked Above 4G encoding and resizable bar on the extreme 4 mobo.

Recommended for everyone to watch, massive uplifts vs Windows 11.

You will notice every game on Linux here has much better frame times which is possibly why I felt like FPS did not matter, it was so smooth and stutter free it was hard to tell if the frame rate changed.

11 hours ago, Educational_Primate said:

Personally I use Garuda's Dragonized Gaming for gaming on Linux. Got everything built right in...

Was thinking of moving back to Linux myself, and this was one of the Distros I was looking at. Windows 10/11 have been really buggy for me, especially these last few weeks, and an annoying issue that started was drivers just simply getting overwritten with older versions by Windows Update.

Slade Watkins • he/him/they/them

11 minutes ago, sladewatkins said:

Was thinking of moving back to Linux myself, and this was one of the Distros I was looking at. Windows 10/11 have been really buggy for me, especially these last few weeks, and an annoying issue that started was drivers just simply getting overwritten with older versions by Windows Update.

I still dual boot but am already playing Tekken 7, The Outer Worlds, Quake, CSGO, Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA IV and V without any issues and all have far better frame latency than they ever did on Windows 11.

Tekken 7 feels like a whole other game on Manjaro, the input delay that existed is non existent and the game is capped to 60 as an engine limitation, it's nowhere near as choppy looking on Manjaro.

I had to install XONE to get my 8BitDO Ultimate Wireless going properly, after that no issues.

https://github.com/medusalix/xone

And I have never installed any AMD drivers, the GPU just works flawlessly out of the gate on Manjaro so far.

I am sure I may run into a problematic game somewhere, it is bound to happen but so far.. amazed.

Now on Arch.

Screenshot_20230616_065104.png.c27620cdfdb48ee91939db58b25764bb.png

In my benchmarks, Clear Linux and NixOS (with the unstable channels) are usually faster for gaming than Manjaro and Arch. There is also little or no difficulty in installing/using Clear Linux. NixOS may be too difficult for the random windows user. But anyone with an average IQ and a small amount of perseverance can use Clear Linux for gaming and average higher FPS than any other system. Clear Linux is not suitable for Nvidia users, but that doesn't matter in your case.

Void Linux may also be faster than Manjaro/Arch for gaming, but there are no benchmarks comparing the two for gaming.

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

This thread gives me some hope for humanity!  Linux and open-source is the way forward.

We had UNIX, with $50,000 computers.  UNIX was proprietary just like Windows.  We see how that worked out.

Consumer freedom is the future, we don't want to be told what we can or can't do with a device or piece of code, unless that code is a video game.

Video games are an interesting case.  I haven't seem a huge outpour of users demanding video games be open-source.

There is talk about artwork in games, and how to keep the proper credits there, but release the code for the rest of the program, but I think 99% of people could not possibly care less.

Since this thread is about games, I'm wondering if anyone here cares about a game being closed-source or not?

Steam itself is closed-source, but yet they actively help increase Linux game support MASSIVELY, will their steam client ever be open-source, and does it even matter?

DirectX from Microsoft is proprietary, and it will soon go the way of UNIX, because of vendor-lockin.  Microsoft has lost this fight, and vendor lockin will eventually disrupt their business, but they probably have five or ten more years to go before people start caring about e-waste, bloated hardware requirements, and a computer that works for more than three or four years before it's too old and slow.  Windows 10 actually performs remarkably well, even with my system downclocked to a bit over half a gigahertz for the CPU.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.