New PC Build - CPU Smoking

teemomangler

hi all! 

i just finished building my pc and when i booted it up (for the first time), the cpu started smoking

i was hoping to find help on what may be wrong with the pc

my friend said that there may be an issue with the motherboard/ cpu or the heat sink itself

if anyone has any suggestions or knowledge on what may be wrong, i would greatly appreciate it

pc components : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TjTtwc

thank you in advance :)

31 minutes ago, teemomangler said:

hi all! 

i just finished building my pc and when i booted it up (for the first time), the cpu started smoking

i was hoping to find help on what may be wrong with the pc

my friend said that there may be an issue with the motherboard/ cpu or the heat sink itself

if anyone has any suggestions or knowledge on what may be wrong, i would greatly appreciate it

pc components : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TjTtwc

thank you in advance 🙂

Even if it overheated it wouldn't start smoking immediately.. Did it smoke as soon as you turned the PC on?

34 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Even if it overheated it wouldn't start smoking immediately.. Did it smoke as soon as you turned the PC on?

it started smoking as soon as i turned on the PC, if not a few seconds later

4 minutes ago, teemomangler said:

it started smoking as soon as i turned on the PC, if not a few seconds later

Remove the CPU and inspect for any damage done to the board or CPU. Unplug all power obviously.

43 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Remove the CPU and inspect for any damage done to the board or CPU. Unplug all power obviously.

okay. when checking for damage, am i looking for scratches or bent parts ?

thank you!

2 minutes ago, teemomangler said:

okay. when checking for damage, am i looking for scratches or bent parts ?

thank you!

I'd say mainly discoloration and burn marks on the underside of the CPU and in the socket itself. 
if it is as you say that it was the CPU / CPU socket that was smoking.

Obviously check for anything that is abnormal like you mention, scratches, bent pins etc.
Check around the socket on the motherboard too for any abnormalities like burn marks or discoloration.

4 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

I'd say mainly discoloration and burn marks on the underside of the CPU and in the socket itself. 
if it is as you say that it was the CPU / CPU socket that was smoking.

Obviously check for anything that is abnormal like you mention, scratches, bent pins etc.
Check around the socket on the motherboard too for any abnormalities like burn marks or discoloration.

sorry one more question

is it possible that there is something wrong with the cpu cooler? - leading to the smoke? or is it more likely due to damage around the CPU/ motherboard

7 minutes ago, teemomangler said:

sorry one more question

is it possible that there is something wrong with the cpu cooler? - leading to the smoke? or is it more likely due to damage around the CPU/ motherboard

You do have an AIO so there could have been pump failure or something burning from the pump itself or the wires leading into the pump.  Something could have shorted out and caused the smoke.

Just now, Hinjima said:

You do have an AIO so there could have been pump failure or something burning from the pump itself or the wires leading into the pump.  Something could have shorted out and caused the smoke.

i checked the cpu, cpu socket, and the area around - i did not see any damage in those areas

Just now, Hinjima said:

Just now, teemomangler said:

i checked the cpu, cpu socket, and the area around - i did not see any damage in those areas

should i try and get a new aio part? or what other things can i do to troubleshoot?

6 minutes ago, teemomangler said:

That is good, maybe it was the AIO!

5 minutes ago, teemomangler said:

should i try and get a new aio part? or what other things can i do to troubleshoot?

Take some pictures of the CPU and socket, as close as you can so I can see as well if possible.
Check the AIO for any burn marks, maybe even smell it to see if you smell burnt from anything on the AIO / Pump.  Check everything as closely as you can.  Could have just been a faulty AIO ( That would be the best )
I'll have to troubleshoot with you tomorrow again sadly, its 4AM here and I desperately need sleep.

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Take some pictures of the CPU and socket, as close as you can so I can see as well if possible.
Check the AIO for any burn marks, maybe even smell it to see if you smell burnt from anything on the AIO / Pump.  Check everything as closely as you can.  Could have just been a faulty AIO ( That would be the best )
I'll have to troubleshoot with you tomorrow again sadly, its 4AM here and I desperately need sleep.

okay, sounds good.

thank you very much for helping me troubleshoot! ill post the pictures in the following post.

have a good rest : ))

38 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

this link has all the images: https://imgur.com/a/AeyEnix

another thing to mention, if it helps, the piece that connects to the cpu (from the aio cooler), the little fan on top did not start spinning right away. 

thank you again for your help! 

13 hours ago, teemomangler said:

this link has all the images: https://imgur.com/a/AeyEnix

another thing to mention, if it helps, the piece that connects to the cpu (from the aio cooler), the little fan on top did not start spinning right away. 

thank you again for your help! 

Everything looks good.  CPU looks normal, the CPU socker looks mint and I see no discoloration on the motherboard around the socket or anything abnormal.  Might be difficult but seeing the back of the motherboard would be good too.  Might have been the CPU cooler that had issues indeed.  Man, this is why I always go AirCoolers 😄
This is not recommended but you could try to put the CPU back in and turn it on and see if it turns on at all.  Do not do this for more than 5-6 seconds, then hold the power button and shut it down ( CPU will heat up very fast without a cooler )

7 hours ago, Hinjima said:

Everything looks good.  CPU looks normal, the CPU socker looks mint and I see no discoloration on the motherboard around the socket or anything abnormal.  Might be difficult but seeing the back of the motherboard would be good too.  Might have been the CPU cooler that had issues indeed.  Man, this is why I always go AirCoolers 😄
This is not recommended but you could try to put the CPU back in and turn it on and see if it turns on at all.  Do not do this for more than 5-6 seconds, then hold the power button and shut it down ( CPU will heat up very fast without a cooler )

ohh i see. would you recommend air coolers over aio coolers?  

1 minute ago, teemomangler said:

Yes.  AIO's definitely have a place in the cooling market and is needed for very hot chips like the 13900k or if you overclock the 13700k.  But for the average consumer with normal gaming CPU's, always.   Cheap Dual Tower coolers like Peerless Assassin are incredible and they have a lot less points of failure, if one fan fails then the other fan can keep it cool without issues while you wait for a new fan.  AIO's have a lot more points of failure,  more electrics that can burn ( maybe what happened to you ), pump failure, the liquid inside can start clogging up etc.
I have nothing against AIO's and people who use them, I just dont personally think they are worth it.

5 minutes ago, teemomangler said:

Air coolers are simpler in their design/mechanics. Less points of failure. 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450-PLUS-GAMING CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix EVA Edition 12GB OC Cooling: 3x Noctua NF-A14, 1x Corsair ML140 RGB Elite, 360mm EKWB EK-AIO RGB all-in-one cooler Monitors: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (portrait 2560x1440) & ASUS ROG Strix XG349C (ultrawide 3440x1440) Peripherals: Logitech G915, G502, G733 OS: Windows 11 64-bit

40 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Yes.  AIO's definitely have a place in the cooling market and is needed for very hot chips like the 13900k or if you overclock the 13700k.  But for the average consumer with normal gaming CPU's, always.   Cheap Dual Tower coolers like Peerless Assassin are incredible and they have a lot less points of failure, if one fan fails then the other fan can keep it cool without issues while you wait for a new fan.  AIO's have a lot more points of failure,  more electrics that can burn ( maybe what happened to you ), pump failure, the liquid inside can start clogging up etc.
I have nothing against AIO's and people who use them, I just dont personally think they are worth it.

i see, someone suggested the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB CPU Air Cooler, 6 Heat Pipes Cpu cooler, Dual TL-C12C-S PWM Fan, Aluminium Heatsink Cover, AGHP Technology, for AMD AM4/AM5/Intel LGA1700/1150/1151/1155/1200 and another friend recommended the Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, Dual-Tower CPU Cooler (140mm, Black). 

in terms of specs are they around the same? the noctua is like 3x the price of the peerless assassin lol. 

also, with my current build, do you think it is worth it going with the i5-13600k cpu and GIGABYTE Z790 UD AC (LGA 1700/ Intel Z790/ ATX/ DDR5/ Triple M.2/ PCIe 5.0/ USB 3.2 Gen2X2 Type-C/Intel Wi-Fi/ 2.5GbE LAN/PCIe EZ-Latch/Multi-Key/Motherboard) motherboard instead? 

and if i go with the i5-13600k cpu or stay with the current i7-10700k cpu, would one of the aircoolers mentioned above be sufficient to keep the cpus cool?

also thank you for the information on all the coolers too ^^ it was very helpful

42 minutes ago, GamerMoment said:

Air coolers are simpler in their design/mechanics. Less points of failure. 

ohh i see, thank you!

12 minutes ago, teemomangler said:

i see, someone suggested the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB CPU Air Cooler, 6 Heat Pipes Cpu cooler, Dual TL-C12C-S PWM Fan, Aluminium Heatsink Cover, AGHP Technology, for AMD AM4/AM5/Intel LGA1700/1150/1151/1155/1200 and another friend recommended the Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, Dual-Tower CPU Cooler (140mm, Black). 

in terms of specs are they around the same? the noctua is like 3x the price of the peerless assassin lol. 

also, with my current build, do you think it is worth it going with the i5-13600k cpu and GIGABYTE Z790 UD AC (LGA 1700/ Intel Z790/ ATX/ DDR5/ Triple M.2/ PCIe 5.0/ USB 3.2 Gen2X2 Type-C/Intel Wi-Fi/ 2.5GbE LAN/PCIe EZ-Latch/Multi-Key/Motherboard) motherboard instead? 

and if i go with the i5-13600k cpu or stay with the current i7-10700k cpu, would one of the aircoolers mentioned above be sufficient to keep the cpus cool?

also thank you for the information on all the coolers too ^^ it was very helpful

The Noctua NH-D15 is the king of Aircoolers. Noctua is a very high end brand and their stuff are expensive compared to more budget options for sure. I myself rock a NH-D15. At the moment there are so many great budget options out there that I can't actually recommend Noctua anymore unless you want the best of the best, its quite a niche product at the moment in my opinion.
The Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE is the absolute king of budget aircoolers and is an overall fantastic CPU cooler.
The Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE will keep the 13600k cool without much problems 🙂
If you do a lot of gaming and want to upgrade then the 13600k will be a decent upgrade indeed but you won't see much benefit until you upgrade that 6600XT GPU you got.
Here is an indepth video on the Perless Assassin 🙂 Might be a bit confusing but a lot of details.