PC refuses to boot.

Go to solution Solved by QuickNoobTubeYT,

alright, I seriously thank you all for your support, and i figured out what the problem was 

1. it didnt detect the cpu fan, because its a 360mm AIO connected to a crappy hub

2. The z790-h's BIOS has a serious hate against displayport on the EVGA GTX 1080 SC (HDMI is completly fine somehow)

the 1 long 4 short was the bios thinking the cpu fan was broken... this thing probably always booted into bios...

I have recently gotten enough money to buy myself a new cpu, motherboard and ram (old ones: ASUS H97M plus, 4x4gb Corsair XMS 3 DDR3 at 1600mhz and a intel core i7-4790k at 4.55GHz) I've installed all the new components in the system but it doesn't boot, the new components in question are: Intel core i7 13700kf, 2x16gb G.Skill Trident Z5 at 6400 mhz and a ASUS ROG Strix Z790-H gaming wifi. 

The problem:
after turning the system on, it takes about 10-ish seconds to Post beep. 10 seconds later i hear 1 long 3 short (meaning no VGA detected even when using onboard graphics) followed by 1 long 4 short (hardware failure of some kind)

The rest of the system is a bit dated but had no problems before (EVGA GTX 1080 SC, some chieftec 750W modular bronze rated PSU, 4 drives)

I would appreciate any kind of help or suggestions, but can't try fixing it right away since I'm not home for the next 9h

42 minutes ago, QuickNoobTubeYT said:

I have recently gotten enough money to buy myself a new cpu, motherboard and ram (old ones: ASUS H97M plus, 4x4gb Corsair XMS 3 DDR3 at 1600mhz and a intel core i7-4790k at 4.55GHz) I've installed all the new components in the system but it doesn't boot, the new components in question are: Intel core i7 13700kf, 2x16gb G.Skill Trident Z5 at 6400 mhz and a ASUS ROG Strix Z790-H gaming wifi. 

The problem:
after turning the system on, it takes about 10-ish seconds to Post beep. 10 seconds later i hear 1 long 3 short (meaning no VGA detected even when using onboard graphics) followed by 1 long 4 short (hardware failure of some kind)

The rest of the system is a bit dated but had no problems before (EVGA GTX 1080 SC, some chieftec 750W modular bronze rated PSU, 4 drives)

I would appreciate any kind of help or suggestions, but can't try fixing it right away since I'm not home for the next 9h

First pull ALL the drives.  It will post without them though it won’t boot of course.  Your sounding like you have trouble with post not boot.  Lga1700 motherboards almost always use a light code.  What do your lights say?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

FYI the i7 13700kf does not have graphics built into it, so you will need a video card to boot with it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/core-i7-13700kf.c2853

Next I checked, and your motherboard does support that chip:

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-h-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_cpu/

So my questions become, do you have your video card firmly seated and the correct power plugged into (fully pushed in and clicked)?  The next check is if your power supply is working properly, and has enough watts to power your video card, as well as make sure all cables are plugged in (see the PDF below)

Also after reading the manual, I agree this sounds like a VGA issue.  ( https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ROG_STRIX_Z790-H_GAMING_WIFI/E21579_ROG_STRIX_Z790-H_GAMING_WIFI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf )

image.png.9fb29aad731d3e22a781264d47e5be4a.png

thanks for the idea, i think it was on a white or green light where it stopped, i cant remember though... 

6 minutes ago, DarkWaterSong said:

FYI the i7 13700kf does not have graphics built into it, so you will need a video card to boot with it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/core-i7-13700kf.c2853

Next I checked, and your motherboard does support that chip:

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-h-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_cpu/

So my questions become, do you have your video card firmly seated and the correct power plugged into (fully pushed in and clicked)?  The next check is if your power supply is working properly, and has enough watts to power your video card, as well as make sure all cables are plugged in (see the PDF below)

Also after reading the manual, I agree this sounds like a VGA issue.  ( https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ROG_STRIX_Z790-H_GAMING_WIFI/E21579_ROG_STRIX_Z790-H_GAMING_WIFI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf )

image.png.9fb29aad731d3e22a781264d47e5be4a.png

i have checked and to my knowledge it has integrated graphics, thats why i bought it, and yes the PSU has enough power to spare for the cpu and gpu combined, also it didnt boot with the gpu connected

3 minutes ago, QuickNoobTubeYT said:

i have checked and to my knowledge it has integrated graphics, thats why i bought it, and yes the PSU has enough power to spare for the cpu and gpu combined, also it didnt boot with the gpu connected

That is why I linked the spec sheet for the i7 13700kf, F= no onboard graphics.   I was trying to read the intel one, but I was not sure if I was missing the bit on graphics, but the Techpowerup clearly shows for the i7 13700kf there are no onboard graphics.

22 minutes ago, QuickNoobTubeYT said:

thanks for the idea, i think it was on a white or green light where it stopped, i cant remember though... 

green means “fine” generally.  Especially when they’re green and then gpu out.  It’s the reds and yellows that are warning signs.  White implies all three at once which shouldn’t happen.  I worry about white.  Your manual will have more on it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 minutes ago, DarkWaterSong said:

That is why I linked the spec sheet for the i7 13700kf, F= no onboard graphics.   I was trying to read the intel one, but I was not sure if I was missing the bit on graphics, but the Techpowerup clearly shows for the i7 13700kf there are no onboard graphics.

alright thanks. i just noticed that im retarded xD

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

green means “fine” generally.  Especially when they’re green and then gpu out.  It’s the reds and yellows that are warning signs.  White implies all three at once which shouldn’t happen.  I worry about white.  Your manual will have more on it.

as soon as i get home ill update you on the leds

1 hour ago, QuickNoobTubeYT said:

alright thanks. i just noticed that im retarded xD

I hate it when that happens.

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Thanks to DarkWaterSong, I have realized I've wasted my whole day yesterday and now I have the theory, that I didn't mount the gpu properly and since i bought this cpu because of its APU (which it doesn't even have) I tried only booting with the CPU, that's why it gave me the VGA error followed by hardware failure (must've assumed the GPU's dead after it didn't even find it)

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

And btw, I got green and white, meaning problems with VGA and possibly even boot? VGA's for sure

Reseat the gpu and make sure the power cables are installed nice and snug. Let us know how it goes.

4 hours ago, QuickNoobTubeYT said:

And btw, I got green and white, meaning problems with VGA and possibly even boot? VGA's for sure

Sounds like they’re using some custom code for that. Your manual should have data.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like they’re using some custom code for that. Your manual should have data.

so, i have tried reseating gpu and pluging something into the cpu-fan connector now its stuck with the same code and green and white bios lights, might anybody have the time to give me some live support?

alright, I seriously thank you all for your support, and i figured out what the problem was 

1. it didnt detect the cpu fan, because its a 360mm AIO connected to a crappy hub

2. The z790-h's BIOS has a serious hate against displayport on the EVGA GTX 1080 SC (HDMI is completly fine somehow)

the 1 long 4 short was the bios thinking the cpu fan was broken... this thing probably always booted into bios...

On 6/6/2023 at 10:14 AM, QuickNoobTubeYT said:

Also don't feel bad on the no AGU, I have done that to myself in the past.  Its one of the reasons I am in the AMD camp, because I can just read the SKU and the newer chips always have an AGU.

Next, you have to learn why never to plug the CPU fan into a hub by doing.  So you know 4 pin fan connectors (the only type of fan you should buy) use the 4th pin to control the speed of the fan.  I find this pretty important for the CPU, and also good for case fans.  Also while you can plug 3 pin connectors into a 4 pin spot, they will pretty much just run at a set speed all the time.  Sure you can get things to raise and lower the voltage to 3 pin fans, but I have found those just don't work as well as the 4 pin ones.

Finally, glad you figured out the issue with your 1080.  Also know it may be something stupid like internals label HDMI as monitor 1 and DP as monitor 2, and other times you need a firmware update to fix things.  Finally sometimes, if you have the lovely monitor 1 and 2 hardware issue, you will always need to use whatever is 1 to see bios.  Last thought, did you try a 2nd DP cable?  Just I know sometimes it is the cable.

On 6/7/2023 at 11:41 PM, DarkWaterSong said:

Also don't feel bad on the no AGU, I have done that to myself in the past.  Its one of the reasons I am in the AMD camp, because I can just read the SKU and the newer chips always have an AGU.

Next, you have to learn why never to plug the CPU fan into a hub by doing.  So you know 4 pin fan connectors (the only type of fan you should buy) use the 4th pin to control the speed of the fan.  I find this pretty important for the CPU, and also good for case fans.  Also while you can plug 3 pin connectors into a 4 pin spot, they will pretty much just run at a set speed all the time.  Sure you can get things to raise and lower the voltage to 3 pin fans, but I have found those just don't work as well as the 4 pin ones.

Finally, glad you figured out the issue with your 1080.  Also know it may be something stupid like internals label HDMI as monitor 1 and DP as monitor 2, and other times you need a firmware update to fix things.  Finally sometimes, if you have the lovely monitor 1 and 2 hardware issue, you will always need to use whatever is 1 to see bios.  Last thought, did you try a 2nd DP cable?  Just I know sometimes it is the cable.

for the monitors, i have in fact not tried another cable since i knew the one i used was working fine, got that fixed by turning on some compatability mode in BIOS tho

only problem that remains is thermals... the cpu clocks down to 4.7 GHZ under 100% load on all 16 cores instead of 5.4GHZ... i really dont know whats wrong now...

3 hours ago, QuickNoobTubeYT said:

for the monitors, i have in fact not tried another cable since i knew the one i used was working fine, got that fixed by turning on some compatability mode in BIOS tho

only problem that remains is thermals... the cpu clocks down to 4.7 GHZ under 100% load on all 16 cores instead of 5.4GHZ... i really dont know whats wrong now...

Sadly that comes down to get a better cooler / thermal paste on the CPU.  As in a Noctua D15 or 280mm rad with high CFM fans could work.  Also some of the pre-applied thermal compound on stock and other coolers is just crap.  I actually got almost 10deg C drop scrapping the stuff that cam with a sock AMD cooler, and putting Noctua's on instead.

Also you room temp can really effect performance.  As in if you are in a hotter climate, then your performance will suffer with any cooling solution save running an AC unit or a liquid gas.   Also ask me some time why its not a good idea to shear a tank holding 500 gal of liquid oxygen, by backing into while picking up hazardous waist from a resister and capacitor maker.

39 minutes ago, DarkWaterSong said:

Sadly that comes down to get a better cooler / thermal paste on the CPU.  As in a Noctua D15 or 280mm rad with high CFM fans could work.  Also some of the pre-applied thermal compound on stock and other coolers is just crap.  I actually got almost 10deg C drop scrapping the stuff that cam with a sock AMD cooler, and putting Noctua's on instead.

Also you room temp can really effect performance.  As in if you are in a hotter climate, then your performance will suffer with any cooling solution save running an AC unit or a liquid gas.   Also ask me some time why its not a good idea to shear a tank holding 500 gal of liquid oxygen, by backing into while picking up hazardous waist from a resister and capacitor maker.

well the cooler shouldn't be a prob since its a 360 rad with arctic P12s on it, but ive found out that i had them wired up wrong (plugged the daisy chained fan cable into the AIO pump header) which led to the BIOS thinking there was no CPU fan what so ever... maybe that resolved some thermal issues

one problem could also be the CPU voltage since its at 1.35ish volts while idle... might have to undervolt it

for now im fighting against aura creator (the crappy RGB software ASUS shat out)

also my climate is pretty cool with temps of about 28°C on a hot summer day (22ish°C in my room without AC)

4 hours ago, QuickNoobTubeYT said:

well the cooler shouldn't be a prob since its a 360 rad with arctic P12s on it, but ive found out that i had them wired up wrong (plugged the daisy chained fan cable into the AIO pump header) which led to the BIOS thinking there was no CPU fan what so ever... maybe that resolved some thermal issues

one problem could also be the CPU voltage since its at 1.35ish volts while idle... might have to undervolt it

for now im fighting against aura creator (the crappy RGB software ASUS shat out)

also my climate is pretty cool with temps of about 28°C on a hot summer day (22ish°C in my room without AC)

Not all rads have a good pump or fin layout, you might want to poke around and see if yours is getting good reviews.  I just know some AIOs are crap, and others are amazing.  Also I have replaced all the fans that came with mine for higher CFM fans.

12 hours ago, DarkWaterSong said:

Not all rads have a good pump or fin layout, you might want to poke around and see if yours is getting good reviews.  I just know some AIOs are crap, and others are amazing.  Also I have replaced all the fans that came with mine for higher CFM fans.

well at the time I bought mine it was rated as one of the best AIOs money could buy at an affordable price. I think it even managed to keep an i9 11900k or something like that cool.

2 hours ago, QuickNoobTubeYT said:

well at the time I bought mine it was rated as one of the best AIOs money could buy at an affordable price. I think it even managed to keep an i9 11900k or something like that cool.

Basically all AIOs have air bubbles in them or will develop them.  Air bubbles will settle at the highest point.  If the air bubble develops in the pump it can destroy the pump.  If it develops in one of the lines it can block the line.  This is a major reason it is suggested that AIO radiators be on top.  That way it develops in the radiator where it does the least harm.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Basically all AIOs have air bubbles in them or will develop them.  Air bubbles will settle at the highest point.  If the air bubble develops in the pump it can destroy the pump.  If it develops in one of the lines it can block the line.  This is a major reason it is suggested that AIO radiators be on top.  That way it develops in the radiator where it does the least harm.

due to the size and shape of my case i could only mount the radiator as seen in the picture (and yes I know I should mount it differently)WIN_20230611_00_35_03_Pro.thumb.jpg.6a58a6885c060dc06bd3ab3c54f7d129.jpg