Problems installing Windows Updates

Kira_Avaritia

For the past few months I've been having issues with installing any of the Windows 11 cumulative updates because they're always freezing up at like 50% and then spitting out "Install error - 0x800f0831".

I've tried looking through google for help but nothing has worked. I tried using DISM and sfc. Then I tried using an installation media to repair corrupted files with DISM which failed. I even tried using the installation media to update windows directly which actually did work until I tried running Genshin Impact. Starting the game lead to a blue screen so I reverted the windows version back to the one it was at before. Recently I even tried using one of the insider preview builds hoping it would work but it spat out the same error. I'm a bit reluctant to completely reset my laptop so I'd rather try all of my other options first.

Someone please help.

11 minutes ago, Kira_Avaritia said:

It failed with error code 0xc1900401

Seems like your OS partition is corrupted, from the fixes you have mentioned, I will highly advise a fresh install.

From my experience, take that however you want, nothing will really fixes a corrupted partition fully. They will apply bandages over the wound instead of healing it.

Its worth checking for image backups if your machine was setup to auto create images.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

4 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

Seems like your OS partition is corrupted, from the fixes you have mentioned, I will highly advise a fresh install.

From my experience, take that however you want, nothing will really fixes a corrupted partition fully. They will apply bandages over the wound instead of healing it.

Its worth checking for image backups if your machine was setup to auto create images.

Damn I was afraid of this 😭. And I don't think I have any image backups either. Thanks a lot for your help. Also I have an extra HDD installed for games, should I disconnect it before I go reinstalling?

9 hours ago, Kira_Avaritia said:

Damn I was afraid of this 😭. And I don't think I have any image backups either. Thanks a lot for your help. Also I have an extra HDD installed for games, should I disconnect it before I go reinstalling?

Yep, disconnected all drives other than the boot drive.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.