I planning to make a DIY server rack that can do almost anything I can throw at it. Its going to be consist of two computers both of which are in 4U server case in a 12U server rack that I'll make from scrach. One of the 4U computer is going to running Window 8.1 or maybe Window 9 when it comes out. This computer is primarly going to run Steam In-home Streaming that will run all my games in my Steam library (non Steam app included), to any computer on my home network. The specs of this computer is:

Intel I7 2700k @3.5Ghz

16 GB of RAM (maybe more)

AMD R9 280X

750 Watt 80+ Gold PSU from XFX

and a 128GB SSD

The rest of the storage for games will come from my Home Server or from a 2TB internal HDD

Note: This computer is going to be referbished from my first battlestation that I'm still using to this day, just upgrading my GPU and maybe network.

The next computer is going to a Home Server that is going to run Ubuntu Server or maybe FreeNas in a 2 or 4U case. Specs for this computer is:

Intel Pentium 4 @3.0Ghz

4 GB of RAM

4 or 8 port RAID card from LSI or equvient manufacture

750 Watt 80+ Gold PSU

4 or 8 2 or 4TB HDD in RAID 5 or 6

Extra ethernet PCI card (Teaming maybe supported)

Note: This computer is also going to be refurbished from another computer.

The overall goal of this project is to have a "single" compute system that can be somewhat "portable" so I can take it to a university and play "real" games and off load projects from a Macbook Pro retina 13 inch.

NO APPLE HATERS PLEASE. 

I am not sure as to what to change but I think @looney can help you with the storage solution.

Sorry that I could not be of assistance. :)

Quote me to get a reply!

I planning to make a DIY server rack that can do almost anything I can throw at it. Its going to be consist of two computers both of which are in 4U server case in a 12U server rack that I'll make from scrach. One of the 4U computer is going to running Window 8.1 or maybe Window 9 when it comes out. This computer is primarly going to run Steam In-home Streaming that will run all my games in my Steam library (non Steam app included), to any computer on my home network. The specs of this computer is:

Intel I7 2700k @3.5Ghz

16 GB of RAM (maybe more)

AMD R9 280X

750 Watt 80+ Gold PSU from XFX

and a 128GB SSD

The rest of the storage for games will come from my Home Server or from a 2TB internal HDD

Note: This computer is going to be referbished from my first battlestation that I'm still using to this day, just upgrading my GPU and maybe network.

The next computer is going to a Home Server that is going to run Ubuntu Server or maybe FreeNas in a 2 or 4U case. Specs for this computer is:

Intel Pentium 4 @3.0Ghz

4 GB of RAM

4 or 8 port RAID card from LSI or equvient manufacture

750 Watt 80+ Gold PSU

4 or 8 2 or 4TB HDD in RAID 5 or 6

Extra ethernet PCI card (Teaming maybe supported)

Note: This computer is also going to be refurbished from another computer.

The overall goal of this project is to have a "single" compute system that can be somewhat "portable" so I can take it to a university and play "real" games and off load projects from a Macbook Pro retina 13 inch.

NO APPLE HATERS PLEASE. 

Read my sig BRO!!!  :wub: :D

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz