ROG Ally Mod

Hi All

I live in Australia stupidly the SteamDeck isnt for sale here i would love to buy one but just saw that the ROG Ally will be available at local stores to buy (YAY).

I may not buy one because i really would like to use the SteamDeck and Linux but the ROG Ally has the stupidly proprietary connector for the ROG XG Mobile.

I have an external GPU enclosure and wonder if anyone could get an eGPU to work with the port on the ROG Ally.

Yes i know its not a thunderbolt port and yes i no its x8 lanes and not x4 but still some way to get eGPUs to work with it would be awesome and could make it a better value.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 6:36 AM, joshfrog said:

Hi All

I live in Australia stupidly the SteamDeck isnt for sale here i would love to buy one but just saw that the ROG Ally will be available at local stores to buy (YAY).

I may not buy one because i really would like to use the SteamDeck and Linux but the ROG Ally has the stupidly proprietary connector for the ROG XG Mobile.

I have an external GPU enclosure and wonder if anyone could get an eGPU to work with the port on the ROG Ally.

Yes i know its not a thunderbolt port and yes i no its x8 lanes and not x4 but still some way to get eGPUs to work with it would be awesome and could make it a better value.

The only way this might work I think would be to boot off a micro SD or external storage and rig something up to the nvme slot. 

Since there is no pci going to the c port it would have to be janky.