Wireless headset help/recommendations with GoXLR Mini

Beep or Boop

Hey guys, just wanted to stop by here and get your guys opinion on some gaming headsets. I had the arctis 7s and I loved them. The micro usb port ended up breaking and I couldn't charge it, so I figured I would get the upgrade and go for the arctis 7+. Has USB C instead of micro usb which is a big upgrade (I hate micro usb). But I ran into some trouble. The original 7s had a puck that would plug into the computer. And from that puck it had a line in/out that went great, because I could take that right into my GoXLR. But now, the newer 7+s just have a USB C dongle that goes straight into the PC. So I have to take a 3.5mm jack from the GoXLR to the line in on my motherboard. Looked up a guide for this and it's working fine now. But now my big problem is, whenever I have my playback from my microphone. It has an almost half a second delay, which before it had almost no delay. Which i'm guessing is just because i'm now plugging the 3.5mm jack into the motherboard instead of into the headsets puck. If that delay is something I can fix that would be awesome. If not, what kind of wireless headsets would you guys recommend that have a 3.5mm in/out ports? Also sorry for the ramble.

1 hour ago, Beep or Boop said:

Hey guys, just wanted to stop by here and get your guys opinion on some gaming headsets. I had the arctis 7s and I loved them. The micro usb port ended up breaking and I couldn't charge it, so I figured I would get the upgrade and go for the arctis 7+. Has USB C instead of micro usb which is a big upgrade (I hate micro usb). But I ran into some trouble. The original 7s had a puck that would plug into the computer. And from that puck it had a line in/out that went great, because I could take that right into my GoXLR. But now, the newer 7+s just have a USB C dongle that goes straight into the PC. So I have to take a 3.5mm jack from the GoXLR to the line in on my motherboard. Looked up a guide for this and it's working fine now. But now my big problem is, whenever I have my playback from my microphone. It has an almost half a second delay, which before it had almost no delay. Which i'm guessing is just because i'm now plugging the 3.5mm jack into the motherboard instead of into the headsets puck. If that delay is something I can fix that would be awesome. If not, what kind of wireless headsets would you guys recommend that have a 3.5mm in/out ports? Also sorry for the ramble.

MicroUSB2 sucks that way.  I bought magnetic adaptor cables not so that I could have magnets but so that I effectively changed the port.  The problem is they wear out with every insertion so I inserted only once.  Such things are often replacable with some desoldering tape and an iron with a fine tip.  As for buying a new one, I’d check reviews of what is available to you.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

MicroUSB2 sucks that way.  I bought magnetic adaptor cables not so that I could have magnets but so that I effectively changed the port.  The problem is they wear out with every insertion so I inserted only once.  Such things are often replacable with some desoldering tape and an iron with a fine tip.  As for buying a new one, I’d check reviews of what is available to you.

Ahhh I’ve seen those that makes sense. I’m just struggling to find decent headphones with a dock/hub that have in/out jacks like I need. Come to find out the original headset that I had is out of production. But I can still get it on Newegg new. Might have to just go back to ol’ reliable. 

44 minutes ago, Beep or Boop said:

Ahhh I’ve seen those that makes sense. I’m just struggling to find decent headphones with a dock/hub that have in/out jacks like I need. Come to find out the original headset that I had is out of production. But I can still get it on Newegg new. Might have to just go back to ol’ reliable. 

If you want to learn to microsolder and you’re faced with buying the same ones anyway the headphones would make a great project.  You can probably get the parts you need to fix it for a couple bucks.  That doesn’t include the iron or desoldering tape (much cheaper if you don’t do it a lot, much worse if you do it all day.  It’s consumable and a pro would use up 50 feet a month) some people actually like it better.  Uses maybe half an inch a joint. It’s kind of like metal gauze.  Sucks up the old solder.  I actually like it better.  It’s a ton easier to learn how to use.  For a soldering iron it’s best to have something with some grunt and an adjustable temp.  One way to make a pointy tip is cut the head off a nail to get a shaft then take a file to it.  $0.  

There are piles of people here who know how to microsolder (much better than me) so if you need any pointers the fourm is available.

Oh, and always boop.  The Road runner was a Dick.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

If you want to learn to microsolder and you’re faced with buying the same ones anyway the headphones would make a great project.  You can probably get the parts you need to fix it for a couple bucks.  That doesn’t include the iron or desoldering tape (much cheaper if you don’t do it a lot, much worse if you do it all day.  It’s consumable and a pro would use up 50 feet a month) some people actually like it better.  Uses maybe half an inch a joint. It’s kind of like metal gauze.  Sucks up the old solder.  I actually like it better.  It’s a ton easier to learn how to use.  For a soldering iron it’s best to have something with some grunt and an adjustable temp.  One way to make a pointy tip is cut the head off a nail to get a shaft then take a file to it.  $0.  

There are piles of people here who know how to microsolder (much better than me) so if you need any pointers the fourm is available.

Oh, and always boop.  The Road runner was a Dick.

Ok, maybe I confused myself a bit. Because I was imaging what I've seen before with phone chargers. Where you would plug, lets say lighting port plug into an iphone which has a magnetic cap, and then you would have a USB cable with the opposite magnetic side. But when you talk about soldering it brings up a whole other step. Which might be sweet because I've been wanting to learn how to solder ever since my PS4 HDMI port has broke.

7 hours ago, Beep or Boop said:

Ok, maybe I confused myself a bit. Because I was imaging what I've seen before with phone chargers. Where you would plug, lets say lighting port plug into an iphone which has a magnetic cap, and then you would have a USB cable with the opposite magnetic side. But when you talk about soldering it brings up a whole other step. Which might be sweet because I've been wanting to learn how to solder ever since my PS4 HDMI port has broke.

Huh? My lightning cable isn’t magnetic at all.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Huh? My lightning cable isn’t magnetic at all.

You were talking about buying magnetic adaptor cables. Which just reminded me of this. Then you talked about soldering and you lost me.

1 hour ago, Beep or Boop said:

You were talking about buying magnetic adaptor cables. Which just reminded me of this. Then you talked about soldering and you lost me.

Ah.  Those are the adaptor cables.  Notice how they are two pieces?  If you leave one piece in all the time and don’t pull it out ever you can’t wer put the connector. 

as for the soldering thing, the female microUSB2 in your headphones is already worn out so it’s too late for that one.  You could simply replace it though.  That’s what the soldering bit was about.

lightning is not microUSB2 though. This is an apple device with lightning?

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  Those are the adaptor cables.  Notice how they are two pieces?  If you leave one piece in all the time and don’t pull it out ever you can’t wer put the connector. 

as for the soldering thing, the female microUSB2 in your headphones is already worn out so it’s too late for that one.  You could simply replace it though.  That’s what the soldering bit was about.

lightning is not microUSB2 though. This is an apple device with lightning?

Ahhhh I see, and no I already returned my broken headphones and got a refund. The ones that I have now with the not so optimal sound routing has the USB-C charging. My old ones that broke has the microUSB. So that link that I sent is what you were talking about? Maybe not those specific ones, but that concept.

Just now, Beep or Boop said:

Ahhhh I see, and no I already returned my broken headphones and got a refund. The ones that I have now with the not so optimal sound routing has the USB-C charging. My old ones that broke has the microUSB. So that link that I sent is what you were talking about? Maybe not those specific ones, but that concept.

Ahh.  So the beoken set is already gone and has been replaced already.