DDR5 - 5600 128GB (32x4) Not Booting at correct speed - AMD XPO (R9 7950x)

BryBry
Go to solution Solved by Bjoolz,
3 hours ago, Hinjima said:

Its strange you say that its at 3600mhz.. It shouldn't go lower than 4800mhz because thats the default speed.  Are you sure you are reading correct? Where do you see the 3600mhz speed?

3600MT/s is the highest officially supported speed on 7000 series AMD when using 4 sticks. It's shockingly low, I know.

3 hours ago, BryBry said:

The title sounds like I havent simply gone into the bios and turned on XPO or XMP or whatever AMD uses for 7th gen ryzen. But I cant seem to even Post past DDR5 3600

On the spec sheet of the CPU you can see that 3600MT/s is the highest officially supported speed for this CPU when using 4 sticks. Under Connectivity, look at 4xR1 and 4xR2 which means 4 sticks of single or dual rank memory (Not to be confused with dual channel which is completely different). 

Updating the BIOS is really the only thing you can try for getting EXPO to work. If that does not help you could try manually input the speed and timings (I have never dealt with the Infinity Fabric so clocking that separately might help, really uncertain). Final solution would be getting a stick off the QVL for the board that was verified to work at at the desired speed. 

This is not guaranteed either as memory manufacturers will use different components for each batch if they can get it cheaper from a different supplier and the components from the other supplier might be different enough that it doesn't work. The QVL will usually tell you which vendor was used with the tested kit and which die (Chipset version) it used. This is not really helpful when buying as no one lists who made the chips on the packaging/website for that batch. All RAM (Mainstream at least) has components produced by either Samsung, SK Hynix, Nanya or Micron/Spectec. 

Hey all, 

The title sounds like I havent simply gone into the bios and turned on XPO or XMP or whatever AMD uses for 7th gen ryzen. But I cant seem to even Post past DDR5 3600,

I was doing some digging online and found that an updated bios might help, it didnt, I came across some reddit threads that said 128GB of ram might be too much for the memory controller that speeds, but also have seen people say that 4 Sticks of ram at any speed and capacity have been a problem for DDR5 recently. Anyone have some thoughts on this? As many computers as ive built to be honest I havent had to go farther than "turn on XMP and youre good to go" when helping other people. If i need to tune Timings, voltage, etc to help this problem out Ill be willing to dabble in that sort of stuff. 

One other note is nothing I do requires blazing fast ram, I VERY rarely play games, mostly 3D scanning work, Unreal Engine 5, that kind of stuff. Which is famous for, not needing fast ram, just kinda bummed I paid $500 for 5600mhz ram, and cant go above 3600mhz

8 minutes ago, BryBry said:

Hey all, 

The title sounds like I havent simply gone into the bios and turned on XPO or XMP or whatever AMD uses for 7th gen ryzen. But I cant seem to even Post past DDR5 3600,

I was doing some digging online and found that an updated bios might help, it didnt, I came across some reddit threads that said 128GB of ram might be too much for the memory controller that speeds, but also have seen people say that 4 Sticks of ram at any speed and capacity have been a problem for DDR5 recently. Anyone have some thoughts on this? As many computers as ive built to be honest I havent had to go farther than "turn on XMP and youre good to go" when helping other people. If i need to tune Timings, voltage, etc to help this problem out Ill be willing to dabble in that sort of stuff. 

One other note is nothing I do requires blazing fast ram, I VERY rarely play games, mostly 3D scanning work, Unreal Engine 5, that kind of stuff. Which is famous for, not needing fast ram, just kinda bummed I paid $500 for 5600mhz ram, and cant go above 3600mhz

Its strange you say that its at 3600mhz.. It shouldn't go lower than 4800mhz because thats the default speed.  Are you sure you are reading correct? Where do you see the 3600mhz speed?

3 hours ago, Hinjima said:

3600MT/s is the highest officially supported speed on 7000 series AMD when using 4 sticks. It's shockingly low, I know.

3 hours ago, BryBry said:

The title sounds like I havent simply gone into the bios and turned on XPO or XMP or whatever AMD uses for 7th gen ryzen. But I cant seem to even Post past DDR5 3600

On the spec sheet of the CPU you can see that 3600MT/s is the highest officially supported speed for this CPU when using 4 sticks. Under Connectivity, look at 4xR1 and 4xR2 which means 4 sticks of single or dual rank memory (Not to be confused with dual channel which is completely different). 

Updating the BIOS is really the only thing you can try for getting EXPO to work. If that does not help you could try manually input the speed and timings (I have never dealt with the Infinity Fabric so clocking that separately might help, really uncertain). Final solution would be getting a stick off the QVL for the board that was verified to work at at the desired speed. 

This is not guaranteed either as memory manufacturers will use different components for each batch if they can get it cheaper from a different supplier and the components from the other supplier might be different enough that it doesn't work. The QVL will usually tell you which vendor was used with the tested kit and which die (Chipset version) it used. This is not really helpful when buying as no one lists who made the chips on the packaging/website for that batch. All RAM (Mainstream at least) has components produced by either Samsung, SK Hynix, Nanya or Micron/Spectec. 

17 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

This is not guaranteed either as memory manufacturers will use different components for each batch if they can get it cheaper from a different supplier and the components from the other supplier might be different enough that it doesn't work. The QVL will usually tell you which vendor was used with the tested kit and which die (Chipset version) it used. All RAM (Mainstream at least) has components produced by either Samsung, SK Hynix, Nanya or Micron/Spectec. 

Wow ok, Ive done some looking around and it seems that I dont have much benefit in the applications I use for faster memory, I just need pure capacity, just sort of a bummber. 3600 DDR(4) has been out since like 2015 or so, so this just took me by surprise haha. 

33 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Yep. 3600. HW info, Bios, and I know this means nothing these days but even task manager lol. As some other people pointed out apparently for 4 stick config it maxes out at 3600mt/s. and yeah I agree, the fact that its below DDR5 default speed is kind of ridiculous