I don't know if I have a bottleneck or not?

DeKi-

So recently I have upgraded my GPU from a 1050 ti to a 3050, and I am bothered by the GPU usage, running around 70-85%.

The problem is that even if I change the ingame settings to a higher degree the usage doesn't change but the fps drops.

Lowering the settings also doesn't change the fps much but the usage is lower in some games, like I have a CPU bottleneck.

image.png.ef7e2ba9a5dd179993ae3607a2711d23.png

This is far cry 6 at ultra settings, as you can see the GPU usage is 75% and running at around 55 average fps, I would be a lot happier if it was around 65 fps but more GPU usage.

It is not a big deal but I am interested if it is a CPU bottleneck, a RAM speed bottleneck or maybe a HDD bottleneck?

Pc specs:

GPU: RTX 3050

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

RAM: 2x8 Kingston 2666mhz

PSU: Don't remember the make but 600W

Mobo: Gigabyte B450 aorus M

thats a cpu bottlneck... no need to worry if you are getting the performance that you want if you want more then a 5500 could be a great upgrade path

Just now, bezza... said:

thats a cpu bottlneck... no need to worry if you are getting the performance that you want if you want more then a 5500 could be a great upgrade path

Thanks for the answer, can increasing RAM speed help with the performance, and should I consider it?

4 minutes ago, DeKi- said:

So recently I have upgraded my GPU from a 1050 ti to a 3050, and I am bothered by the GPU usage, running around 70-85%.

The problem is that even if I change the ingame settings to a higher degree the usage doesn't change but the fps drops.

Lowering the settings also doesn't change the fps much but the usage is lower in some games, like I have a CPU bottleneck.

image.png.ef7e2ba9a5dd179993ae3607a2711d23.png

This is far cry 6 at ultra settings, as you can see the GPU usage is 75% and running at around 55 average fps, I would be a lot happier if it was around 65 fps but more GPU usage.

It is not a big deal but I am interested if it is a CPU bottleneck, a RAM speed bottleneck or maybe a HDD bottleneck?

Pc specs:

GPU: RTX 3050

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

RAM: 2x8 Kingston 2666mhz

PSU: Don't remember the make but 600W

Mobo: Gigabyte B450 aorus M

Thats a cpu bottleneck. A good cpu to upgrade to would be a 5500 or a 5600 if you really want the clocks

Are you playing off of your HDD tho?

its not a ram bottleneck either since the usage is at around 9 gigs

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 minute ago, DeKi- said:

Thanks for the answer, can increasing RAM speed help with the performance, and should I consider it?

don't do so in this situation as it wouldn't help much. You could get a kit of vengeance lpx 8x2 3200mhz and it would help a bit but it won't rid the cpu bottleneck

Current parts list

1 minute ago, filpo said:

Thats a cpu bottleneck. A good cpu to upgrade to would be a 5500 or a 5600 if you really want the clocks

Are you playing off of your HDD tho?

its not a ram bottleneck either since the usage is at around 9 gigs

I am playing of an older HDD but I don't suppose that it can have that much of an impact no?

Just now, DeKi- said:

I am playing of an older HDD but I don't suppose that it can have that much of an impact no?

do you boot off of that same hdd?

it depends. But that wouldn't be whats hurting your performance so much. In this case its the cpu

Current parts list

5 minutes ago, filpo said:

do you boot off of that same hdd?

it depends. But that wouldn't be whats hurting your performance so much. In this case its the cpu

System is on SSD,

I was just stressing a bit because the bottleneck calculator said that the ryzen was still good enough for the 3050 to run at 100% and wondering If something was wrong.

Just one more question, how much would it better if I got a 3600mhz kit?

Thanks for the clarification 🙂

12 minutes ago, DeKi- said:

System is on SSD,

I was just stressing a bit because the bottleneck calculator said that the ryzen was still good enough for the 3050 to run at 100% and wondering If something was wrong.

never use bottlneck calculators there full of shit.... it depends on the game. some games it will be fine others it will not

13 minutes ago, DeKi- said:

System is on SSD,

It won’t be different at all than with a 3200mhz kit (at least on ryzen) a vengeance lpx 8x2 3200 will do nicely but I don’t think ram is the main problem 

Current parts list

15 minutes ago, DeKi- said:

System is on SSD,

I was just stressing a bit because the bottleneck calculator said that the ryzen was still good enough for the 3050 to run at 100% and wondering If something was wrong, thanks for the clarification 🙂

Ignore what bottleneck calculators say. You can't really calculate a bottleneck in the "with CPU X your GPU will run/bottleneck by Y%".  Between games some will be more CPU dependent than others, some will be able to leverage multiple cores better than others, there might be engine limitations, some games may be better optimised, RAM speed may influence things a bit. There are too many variables at play. Additionally, the GPU running at 100% means nothing except that it is doing all it can. For example, it is much heavier on the GPU to render a game at 2160p compared to 1080p. If there is no bottleneck, the GPU will be running at 100% in both cases but the actual FPS achieved would be rather different.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Oh okay, so I should not be so much bothered by GPU usage, I was expecting that the GPU usage would go up when I increase the settings but it looks like it doesn't matter all that much when having a CPU bottleneck. Thanks so much for the info, if there is anything that might be useful to know you can tell me, I am eager to learn about this subject.

But just for an example could you tell me if I did buy a better RAM set how much would the fps improve in %?