Consistent BSOD While Gaming

zapdroid
Go to solution Solved by Bjoolz,

With this crash error and no dump file, a faulty storage drive is the main suspect. 

Gaming on my PC gives me a UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION BSOD (I have gotten a couple of other messages, but they only ever appeared once or twice compares to the dozens of store exceptions). I cannot say when this started occurring, but I did take a break from playing graphics-intensive games for a number of months and I had never seen it before then. This seems to occur in situations where I pan the camera suddenly or do other things that put a short and sudden load on the system, but it often happens for seemingly no reason. There is no specific thing I can do to make the BSOD consistently occur; all I know is that within a few minutes to a few hours it will happen. My testing has been done using Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, Genshin Impact, and a (legally) emulated copy of Tears of the Kingdom. TotK seems to crash at a rate much faster than the other two (possibly due to higher RAM usage?).

In the event viewer I get a "dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation" error every single BSOD which makes this incredibly frustrating. I have tried to force a BSOD via a Windows utility and dump files are successfully created from that.

Hardware: retail Windows 11, maybe 3-4 years old, Ryzen 3600, RTX 3080, Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi, two x 8GB RAM, SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750W power supply. Using two M.2s for storage; OS/software drive is a 256GB Sabrent Rocket and games are exclusively stored on a 2TB Crucial P2.

What I have tried (to no success):

• Clean install of windows
  • Updating BIOS, GPU, OS etc
  • Running a memory test (can't remember the name but something similar to memtest) overnight with no issues found and a 1400% test rate
  • Checking CrystalDiskInfo (no issues noted)
  • Running RAM in different slots
  • Disabling XMP for RAM
  • Increasing fan curves, lowering GPU clocks, opening side panels, and blasting a fan on my computer to see if overheating was the problem.
  • Reseating my M.2s, RAM, and GPU
  • Running chkdsc and sfc /scannow
  • Running SeaTools to check the health of my drives
  • Disabling Fast Boot
  • Making sure dump settings were configured correctly
  • Reinstalling GPU drivers with DDU
  • Running only basic Windows antivirus

At this point I believe it must be a hardware problem. Has anyone encountered anything like this before or have any ideas on how to fix it or what piece of hardware is likely to be causing it?

5 minutes ago, zapdroid said:

Gaming on my PC gives me a UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION BSOD (I have gotten a couple of other messages, but they only ever appeared once or twice compares to the dozens of store exceptions). I cannot say when this started occurring, but I did take a break from playing graphics-intensive games for a number of months and I had never seen it before then. This seems to occur in situations where I pan the camera suddenly or do other things that put a short and sudden load on the system, but it often happens for seemingly no reason. There is no specific thing I can do to make the BSOD consistently occur; all I know is that within a few minutes to a few hours it will happen. My testing has been done using Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, Genshin Impact, and a (legally) emulated copy of Tears of the Kingdom. TotK seems to crash at a rate much faster than the other two (possibly due to higher RAM usage?).

In the event viewer I get a "dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation" error every single BSOD which makes this incredibly frustrating. I have tried to force a BSOD via a Windows utility and dump files are successfully created from that.

Hardware: retail Windows 11, maybe 3-4 years old, Ryzen 3600, RTX 3080, Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi, two x 8GB RAM, SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750W power supply. Using two M.2s for storage; OS/software drive is a 256GB Sabrent Rocket and games are exclusively stored on a 2TB Crucial P2.

What I have tried (to no success):

• Clean install of windows
  • Updating BIOS, GPU, OS etc
  • Running a memory test (can't remember the name but something similar to memtest) overnight with no issues found and a 1400% test rate
  • Checking CrystalDiskInfo (no issues noted)
  • Running RAM in different slots
  • Disabling XMP for RAM
  • Increasing fan curves, lowering GPU clocks, opening side panels, and blasting a fan on my computer to see if overheating was the problem.
  • Reseating my M.2s, RAM, and GPU
  • Running chkdsc and sfc /scannow
  • Running SeaTools to check the health of my drives
  • Disabling Fast Boot
  • Making sure dump settings were configured correctly
  • Reinstalling GPU drivers with DDU
  • Running only basic Windows antivirus

At this point I believe it must be a hardware problem. Has anyone encountered anything like this before or have any ideas on how to fix it or what piece of hardware is likely to be causing it?

Download bluescreenview and see if that logs anything, its a great program ( requires a BSOD to log obviously )
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Download bluescreenview and see if that logs anything, its a great program ( requires a BSOD to log obviously )
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

It shows no logs, unfortunately. My understanding is that it scans for minidump files, but since I do not have any, it will not find anything.

With this crash error and no dump file, a faulty storage drive is the main suspect. 

15 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

I think I’ve traced it to the OS drive. I cloned my OS to a new drive and I’ve been crash-free for a few hours of gaming. Thanks for the advice!