New Planned Build - Need CPU and MOBO help

Vek1313

Budget (including currency): $2500 USD max

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily gaming. I don't play anything too demanding. I do some Valorant, Minecraft, RDR2, and SW Jedi Survivor among a few others, but I think those encapsulate pretty well the demand I would need. I am however looking to transition into some more livestreaming through OBS with some occasional video editing.

Monitors and Peripherals

I will attach a link to my current build's part list on PCPartPicker. Some of the peripherals aren't entirely up to date as I have made some upgrades over the years, but ultimately negligible I have my peripherals in place. Monitor wise I have 2. 1 1440p 144 Hz and a secondary 1080p 60Hz. I don't see myself upgrading soon (as long as no equipment dies on me), but eventually I would be interested in a jump to 4k. I have my Windows copy too.

Why are you upgrading?

I don't really have any bottlenecks with my system. My 1080 runs everything I currently use just fine (so I am partially considering upgrading all except for GPU right now, as long as my 1080 wouldn't bottleneck a current gen CPU.) My build is just 5 years old now (turned 5 two weeks ago) and I was thinking of upgrading. I think my boot drive SSD is starting to fail, so that is some of my motivation looking because I need to do a rebuild of Windows soon anyway. My HDD is starting to run it's course too.

Primarily what I am looking for assistance with is CPU and MOBO recommendations. I won't need a WiFi card as I have upgraded my house to a mesh network and I can wire directly in with that now.

I have been out of the hardware game for about 3 years now. I still know most of what is good, but new gen CPUs have me lost, and motherboards have never been my strength either. If anyone can recommend a nice AIO CPU cooler that would be great too. I am sure the hardware hasn't changed much there. DDR5 RAM is a new concept I haven't been in touch with either. 

Here is my current build from May 2018: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ts2Ynt

16 GB of RAM and the 2 TB NVMe drive were purchased in 2020. Otherwise, all other internal components were there at age of build.

Here is what I currently have for a partslist: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hscjtn

The 4070 is there as a placeholder again as I am not entirely opposed to swapping my 1080 in for now as long as I know it won't bottleneck a new CPU. The SATA SSD is there as well just accounting for 2 NVMe slots on a motherboard at the moment, and I would swap in the NVMe from my current build as well. CPUs I was looking at are the Ryzen 7 7700x, Ryzen 9 7900x, i7 13700k, or i9 12900K. But again, even with those, I am entirely outdated on MOBO chipsets and overall quality.

Thanks all! I can provide any other info on request!

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cw-8960091/lga1700-retrofit-kit-cw-8960091 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-13700 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: *MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($239.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($105.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  ($799.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: *MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1764.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-18 14:47 EDT-0400

3 hours ago, UnleashedPride said:

Budget (including currency): $2500 USD max

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily gaming. I don't play anything too demanding. I do some Valorant, Minecraft, RDR2, and SW Jedi Survivor among a few others, but I think those encapsulate pretty well the demand I would need. I am however looking to transition into some more livestreaming through OBS with some occasional video editing.

Monitors and Peripherals

I will attach a link to my current build's part list on PCPartPicker. Some of the peripherals aren't entirely up to date as I have made some upgrades over the years, but ultimately negligible I have my peripherals in place. Monitor wise I have 2. 1 1440p 144 Hz and a secondary 1080p 60Hz. I don't see myself upgrading soon (as long as no equipment dies on me), but eventually I would be interested in a jump to 4k. I have my Windows copy too.

Why are you upgrading?

I don't really have any bottlenecks with my system. My 1080 runs everything I currently use just fine (so I am partially considering upgrading all except for GPU right now, as long as my 1080 wouldn't bottleneck a current gen CPU.) My build is just 5 years old now (turned 5 two weeks ago) and I was thinking of upgrading. I think my boot drive SSD is starting to fail, so that is some of my motivation looking because I need to do a rebuild of Windows soon anyway. My HDD is starting to run it's course too.

Primarily what I am looking for assistance with is CPU and MOBO recommendations. I won't need a WiFi card as I have upgraded my house to a mesh network and I can wire directly in with that now.

I have been out of the hardware game for about 3 years now. I still know most of what is good, but new gen CPUs have me lost, and motherboards have never been my strength either. If anyone can recommend a nice AIO CPU cooler that would be great too. I am sure the hardware hasn't changed much there. DDR5 RAM is a new concept I haven't been in touch with either. 

Here is my current build from May 2018: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ts2Ynt

16 GB of RAM and the 2 TB NVMe drive were purchased in 2020. Otherwise, all other internal components were there at age of build.

Here is what I currently have for a partslist: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hscjtn

The 4070 is there as a placeholder again as I am not entirely opposed to swapping my 1080 in for now as long as I know it won't bottleneck a new CPU. The SATA SSD is there as well just accounting for 2 NVMe slots on a motherboard at the moment, and I would swap in the NVMe from my current build as well. CPUs I was looking at are the Ryzen 7 7700x, Ryzen 9 7900x, i7 13700k, or i9 12900K. But again, even with those, I am entirely outdated on MOBO chipsets and overall quality.

Thanks all! I can provide any other info on request!

Hello, Given the recent videos and articles about some of the newer games like Jedi Survivor I highly recommend a build like this. I made sure that it has a AIO and is quiet. For this I went with the Be Quiet! Brand for the AIO, Case, & Power Supply. As for the CPU I went with the Ryzen 7 5800X3D so that you can take full advantage of your games. I paired it with a ASUS ROG Motherboard and a RX 7900XTX GPU. They are saying that a GPU will less than 16GB VRAM struggles to play games like Jedi Survivor and Hogwarts Legacy so I got you a GPU with 24GB of VRAM. I would have gotten you the new AM5 platform but there is a major overheating issue with them right now that I went a generation lower and was able to max out the GPU power.

I kept your RAM and Storage so that you don't have to buy something new. I did however add a Gen4 M.2 drive with a DRAM Cache to put your OS on and to load programs from so you take full advantage of the speed increase of the newer hardware.

I was able to  put this together for a little less than $500 under your budget. It is one KILLER PC that will do anything you want or need it to and not even break a sweat.

I have been building PCs for 30 years so if you have any questions please ask and if you like this and decide to go with it please mark this as the Solution.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/87xQtn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($318.02 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX Liquid CPU Cooler  ($129.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Strix B550-XE Gaming WiFi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 512 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p 2.048 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($979.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 FX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($164.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $2027.69

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

Just curious, what are you looking to get out of this upgrade?  With an 8700k and a GTX 1080 for the games you described you should be running well above your monitor's refresh rate at 1440p.  This stuff lasts a long time, so unless you 've identified a benefit to upgrading, you might be just throwing money away.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

On 5/18/2023 at 12:00 PM, Why_Me said:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cw-8960091/lga1700-retrofit-kit-cw-8960091 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-13700 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: *MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($239.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($105.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  ($799.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: *MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1764.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-18 14:47 EDT-0400

Any specific reason you're recommending the 4070ti over the 4070 for my needs? Or was it more just because my budget can afford it?

21 hours ago, PC HEROES said:

Hello, Given the recent videos and articles about some of the newer games like Jedi Survivor I highly recommend a build like this. I made sure that it has a AIO and is quiet. For this I went with the Be Quiet! Brand for the AIO, Case, & Power Supply. As for the CPU I went with the Ryzen 7 5800X3D so that you can take full advantage of your games. I paired it with a ASUS ROG Motherboard and a RX 7900XTX GPU. They are saying that a GPU will less than 16GB VRAM struggles to play games like Jedi Survivor and Hogwarts Legacy so I got you a GPU with 24GB of VRAM. I would have gotten you the new AM5 platform but there is a major overheating issue with them right now that I went a generation lower and was able to max out the GPU power.

I kept your RAM and Storage so that you don't have to buy something new. I did however add a Gen4 M.2 drive with a DRAM Cache to put your OS on and to load programs from so you take full advantage of the speed increase of the newer hardware.

I was able to  put this together for a little less than $500 under your budget. It is one KILLER PC that will do anything you want or need it to and not even break a sweat.

I have been building PCs for 30 years so if you have any questions please ask and if you like this and decide to go with it please mark this as the Solution.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/87xQtn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($318.02 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX Liquid CPU Cooler  ($129.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Strix B550-XE Gaming WiFi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 512 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p 2.048 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card  ($979.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 FX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($164.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $2027.69

Is there not a performance benefit of the Ryzen 7 7700X, or was that to preserve me being able to use my current DDR4 RAM. Is DDR5 RAM not worth it?

20 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Just curious, what are you looking to get out of this upgrade?  With an 8700k and a GTX 1080 for the games you described you should be running well above your monitor's refresh rate at 1440p.  This stuff lasts a long time, so unless you 've identified a benefit to upgrading, you might be just throwing money away.

Partially, just because I feel like it because I am at a place where I can. But another reason is I want to upgrade my Windows 10 to Windows 11, and me whenever I built didn't know the difference of BIOS vs UEFI or that UEFI would be a requirement. MBR2GPT tool failed to convert my system. So I am already looking at replacing my boot drive and doing a fresh install. I'm not really one that likes to tear down my system and make changes (which I feel my oldest storage drives will need soon as well as potentially my PSU) aside from general dusting and air filter maintenance. Also have recently had some frame skips that I know isn't GPU hardware. I am trying to isolate testing to see if it is drive failure starting or just a recent driver update causing some minor issues. So I am in the thought process of "I'm already going to be diving in tearing it down, might as well just make a new PC to continue to last me a while." I'm aware it isn't entirely necessary for me to upgrade a majority of my system.

21 minutes ago, UnleashedPride said:

Any specific reason you're recommending the 4070ti over the 4070 for my needs? Or was it more just because my budget can afford it?

Is there not a performance benefit of the Ryzen 7 7700X, or was that to preserve me being able to use my current DDR4 RAM. Is DDR5 RAM not worth it?

Partially, just because I feel like it because I am at a place where I can. But another reason is I want to upgrade my Windows 10 to Windows 11, and me whenever I built didn't know the difference of BIOS vs UEFI or that UEFI would be a requirement. MBR2GPT tool failed to convert my system. So I am already looking at replacing my boot drive and doing a fresh install. I'm not really one that likes to tear down my system and make changes (which I feel my oldest storage drives will need soon as well as potentially my PSU) aside from general dusting and air filter maintenance. Also have recently had some frame skips that I know isn't GPU hardware. I am trying to isolate testing to see if it is drive failure starting or just a recent driver update causing some minor issues. So I am in the thought process of "I'm already going to be diving in tearing it down, might as well just make a new PC to continue to last me a while." I'm aware it isn't entirely necessary for me to upgrade a majority of my system.

average-fps-2560-1440.png

average-fps-3840-2160.png

40 minutes ago, UnleashedPride said:

Yes DDR5 is a vast improvement over DDR4 but given that you already have RAM that works I opted to maximize your CPU and GPU for your budget. If you where to go with AM5 then you would have to drop a few tiers of GPU just to accommodate the AM5 CPU, RAM, & Motherboard. If you could actually see the Gaming performance difference between the 5800X3D and the 7700X then you must have some darn fine eyesight and need to try out for a Air Force Pilot. I've been doing this for so long and I can't see the difference. When you are Gaming does it really matter if you have the newer CPU if the older one will do it just as well?

I refuse to buy any AM5 CPU or Motherboard right now because of the Voltage issues, and trust me they are NOT fixed yet. Maybe in 1-3 months if I see improvement but not now. Look at the Pic below and tell me that AM5 doesn't have a problem, All the Yellow Stickers are MicroCenter Returns on AM5 Motherboards.

Returns.jpeg.77c24ee51bddc948136abcd77213663e.jpeg

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772