Kernel error 41

Over the past couple months my pc has been shutting off randomly with no warning, this has started happening since I got my 3050. At first everything was fine, no overheating or issues at all but then my pc started shutting off. I bought a new psu thinking it would fix the issue and it did for a couple weeks, then I googled everything I could do I had narrowed down my issue to the kernel power error 41 (63). After more googling I found a couple websites talking about it being software issues which was plausible as running dskskn and sfc revealed there were some corrupted files, they were fixed and the issue stopped, a couple weeks later it happens again. I reseated my ram and gpu, the pc turned off the next day. I think there may be something wrong with my plug or another piece of hardware. If anyone has any ideas of what can help then please come and help.

Kernel Power 41 just means unexpected shutdown. So unless you didn't know it had shut down/crashed, it doesn't have any value. 

14 minutes ago, DaCookiezMon5ta said:

After more googling I found a couple websites talking about it being software issues which was plausible as running dskskn and sfc revealed there were some corrupted files

Corrupt files would generally not cause shutdowns, but rather bluescreens.

14 minutes ago, DaCookiezMon5ta said:

this has started happening since I got my 3050.

I would re-seat everything in the machine then in case something got bumped. Except the CPU as that often requires re-pasting if you remove the cooler to re-seat it. All cables and devices.

You could also check if you have any dump files C:\Windows\Minidump in case the GPU is crashing causing you to not see a BSOD displayed. 

41 minutes ago, DaCookiezMon5ta said:

Over the past couple months my pc has been shutting off randomly with no warning, this has started happening since I got my 3050. At first everything was fine, no overheating or issues at all but then my pc started shutting off. I bought a new psu thinking it would fix the issue and it did for a couple weeks, then I googled everything I could do I had narrowed down my issue to the kernel power error 41 (63). After more googling I found a couple websites talking about it being software issues which was plausible as running dskskn and sfc revealed there were some corrupted files, they were fixed and the issue stopped, a couple weeks later it happens again. I reseated my ram and gpu, the pc turned off the next day. I think there may be something wrong with my plug or another piece of hardware. If anyone has any ideas of what can help then please come and help.

The poster above is absolute right, Kernel Power 41 only means that it didn't shut down properly, heck even long pressing the power button or flipping the PSU switch while the PC is running can cause Kernel Power 41.

The real thing that you should look at in the Event Viewer is any other error that happens at the time of KP41. In the example pictured below from my PC, the error that is causing the KP41 is a WHEA-Logger error. In my case (may not apply to you), it was a faulty GPU that's causing the error, despite the fact that it's reported by processor core. Since buying a new PSU didn't solve your problem, the problem is somewhere else. If you or a friend has a spare GPU, trying putting it in the PC and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, unfortunately you got a bad 3050. If it does persist, something else other than GPU is causing it.

image.thumb.png.4e717474e7642fdd551ac2f7f623afe0.png

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

9 hours ago, emothxughts said:

The poster above is absolute right, Kernel Power 41 only means that it didn't shut down properly, heck even long pressing the power button or flipping the PSU switch while the PC is running can cause Kernel Power 41.

The real thing that you should look at in the Event Viewer is any other error that happens at the time of KP41. In the example pictured below from my PC, the error that is causing the KP41 is a WHEA-Logger error. In my case (may not apply to you), it was a faulty GPU that's causing the error, despite the fact that it's reported by processor core. Since buying a new PSU didn't solve your problem, the problem is somewhere else. If you or a friend has a spare GPU, trying putting it in the PC and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, unfortunately you got a bad 3050. If it does persist, something else other than GPU is causing it.

image.thumb.png.4e717474e7642fdd551ac2f7f623afe0.png

Thanks for point out that other errors may cause this, after looking there are 2 errors that come up, one is "the Google update service (gupdate) service failed to start fue to the following error: the system cannot find the file specified" I doubt this has anything to do with my issue but the second error is "the energy server service queencreek service terminated unexpectedly"

10 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

Kernel Power 41 just means unexpected shutdown. So unless you didn't know it had shut down/crashed, it doesn't have any value. 

Corrupt files would generally not cause shutdowns, but rather bluescreens.

I would re-seat everything in the machine then in case something got bumped. Except the CPU as that often requires re-pasting if you remove the cooler to re-seat it. All cables and devices.

You could also check if you have any dump files C:\Windows\Minidump in case the GPU is crashing causing you to not see a BSOD displayed. 

There doesn't seem to be anything in my minidump folder, I will try to reseat my cables too and see if there is anything different, one thing I had noticed is that the more I turn my pc on after the crash, the faster it turns off the next time.

3 hours ago, DaCookiezMon5ta said:

"the energy server service queencreek service terminated unexpectedly"

QueenCreek is part if Intel's utility. It should be either the Intel Driver Update Utility or the Intel Energy Checker. You can try uninstalling these. 

UPDATE: I switched back to my old gpu, I will make another update if it happens again, if it does I will assume its my motherboard or something external.

On 5/18/2023 at 2:23 PM, emothxughts said:

In the example pictured below from my PC, the error that is causing the KP41 is a WHEA-Logger error. In my case (may not apply to you), it was a faulty GPU that's causing the error, despite the fact that it's reported by processor core

I know this is OT, just in case you wanted to know. WHEA uses the CPU's error record to confirm errors. The CPU logs errors for itself and PCIe devices. That's why they get reported by the CPU/GenuineIntel.sys/GenuineAMD.sys. You would then take the MCi/MCA error which is a subfield of the WHEA BSOD dump file (If you got a BSOD) and look it up in the CPU developer's manual which unfortunately is a 5000 page monstrosity (500 pages for AMD) so it's completely overwhelming for new users.

It's been 3 days, pc has turned off around 3 or 4 times but this only happened during the first day. Apart from that the issue was solved I guess, I will be getting a new gpu soon hopefully. Thank you for the support.