Upgrading my setup, starting with the monitor and storage

Go to solution Solved by johnno23,

You are using an ASUS monitor right now and if you are happy with it and wish to keep it as a second screen I would say get another asus one with the specs you want.

as for storage just go SSD and if do not worry about the hype around the fastest speeds. for 99% of users that mega speed is not terribly important and in realit yif gaming once a game is loaded even the older sata ssd's are fast enough.

these days even crucial have a lowend priced 2TB costing around 100 USD.

It will not be blazing fast read write speeds but as most users are not copying mega GB files from one drive to another all the time etc then it is not needed.

Also the older gen SSD M.2s are very cheap now and they also run much lower in temps so that is a small benefit.

For the GPU just hang on to what you have and wait a while longer as GPU price wars have already begun.

AMD last series of 1000USD GPU's on release have already dropped to around 600 - 650 USD in some stores. Also New cards are being released very soon so you could be in for big savings on excellent AMD cards in the very near future. 

Budget (including currency): under 300€ for monitor

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games, Movies, Coding and sometimes streaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

Hello, I'm thinking about upgrading my setup,I would like to start with the monitor and storage, I have an ASUS VG248QG (165Hz, 1080p, 0.5ms), would want to have a 1440p monitor, but lots are good. Which would be a great pair with my setup?

I would like to add more storage, which of these would be better for the value? Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 To or Crucial P3 Plus 1To or should I just add an SSD/HDD?

and as for the future upgrade, as I've mentioned, I would like to stream from time to time using this setup and game on it as well, as of today, it does really well but why not have a better one. I'm thinking of staying team red atm, but if team blue is better at it, I would love to know your suggestions and opinions! 🙂 Thanks ❤️ !

~ PC ~

To/Go == Tb/Gb

Hi This is my pc 😄

~ PC ~

Motherboard : B550 GAMING X V2

CPU : AMD RYZEN 5 5600X

RAM : 2x8Gb G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2133 MHZ

SSD : Crucial P2 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD

GPU : AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT

PSU : M.RED ATX 750W - 80+BRONZE

Cooling : Watercooling M.RED AIO 240mm RGB Rainbow + 4 Fans

You are using an ASUS monitor right now and if you are happy with it and wish to keep it as a second screen I would say get another asus one with the specs you want.

as for storage just go SSD and if do not worry about the hype around the fastest speeds. for 99% of users that mega speed is not terribly important and in realit yif gaming once a game is loaded even the older sata ssd's are fast enough.

It will not be blazing fast read write speeds but as most users are not copying mega GB files from one drive to another all the time etc then it is not needed.

Also the older gen SSD M.2s are very cheap now and they also run much lower in temps so that is a small benefit.

For the GPU just hang on to what you have and wait a while longer as GPU price wars have already begun.

AMD last series of 1000USD GPU's on release have already dropped to around 600 - 650 USD in some stores. Also New cards are being released very soon so you could be in for big savings on excellent AMD cards in the very near future. 

4 hours ago, MiggyAngeloP said:

You really upgrading that already?  Yeah that system should be able to do 1440p no problem, bbut beyond a monitor and just adding more storage IDK what you're after.  I'd just get whatever SSD is the cheapest per GB, that P2 is as fast as any game will be able to benefit from.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

9 hours ago, johnno23 said:

Thank you very much, as far as asus monitor, do you have any recommendations ?

Hi This is my pc 😄

~ PC ~

6 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

You really upgrading that already?  Yeah that system should be able to do 1440p no problem, bbut beyond a monitor and just adding more storage IDK what you're after.  I'd just get whatever SSD is the cheapest per GB, that P2 is as fast as any game will be able to benefit from.

Thank you very much! I've had it since mid 2021, I might upgrade it late 2023 early 2024, I'm thinking of upgrading the cpu and motherboard, other than that I think the other stuff is still good. As far as 1440p monitors, do you have any recommendations ?

Hi This is my pc 😄

~ PC ~